Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.msn.fr/news/spo/?or=afprtrs&cat=spo&id=2003-01-25T083136Z_01_BRE530651_RTRIDST_0_OFRSP-SPORT- TENNIS-CHANG-20030125.asp

SAN JOSE, Californie (Reuters) - L'ancien vainqueur de Roland-Garros Michael Chang se retirera du tennis après les Internationaux des Etats-Unis cette année et va entamer d'ici là une "tournée d'adieu" comptant dix tournois, à partir de l'Open de San Jose en février, a fait savoir samedi l'agent du joueur.

"Michael a donné tout ce qu'il pouvait en sport et comprend aujourd'hui que son meilleur tennis est probablement derrière lui. Toutefois, il pense pouvoir rester compétitif cette année(...)", a déclaré l'agent, Tom Ross.

A 30 ans, Michael Chang a à son actif 34 titres en simples. Il a accédé à la célébrité à 17 ans en remportant le tournoi de Roland-Garros en 1989, face au Suédois Stefan Edberg.

L'ancien numéro deux mondial a cependant vu ses capacités décliner depuis une blessure au genou en 1998 au tournoi d'Indian Wells. Depuis l'an 2000, il n'a pas remporté un seul tournoi.

Sorry, it's in french but it says that Chang will call it quit after the US Open (as mentioned in the title). He will play ten tournaments starting in San Jose in February and then stop.
I'll give a translation if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
you dont have totranslatebeause it doesn't say much. all it says is that he's gonna retire after the US Open, and he's playing 10 tournaments starting in San Jose.then it says he thinks he can stay competitive in 2003. then it says that he was a former #2 in the world and he won RG.and it says he got injured in the Indian Wells tournie in 1998, and since 2000 he hasn't won another title

·
Registered
584 Posts
I had heard rumors about this. Now it's true. I hope he has a great life after tennis. He's such a bold Christian--a TRUE role model!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Nimi said:
He's a role model cuz hes a Christian?

Man, you have some low standards when it comes to favorite tennis players.
These are quite high standards because he's not like everyone else. It's easy to fit in with the rest of the tour. But Chang stands out and is bold in his faith. These are quite high standards.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Nimi said:
He's a role model not just because he's a Christian but being true to his word. He does what he says which is way above lots of other tennis players. He values families. He is a great model for many, many Asian atheletes (not just tennis).

But sometimes, some people just need you to explain lots of facts and stick them to their faces cause they themselves have very low standards.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nimi said:

Man, you have some low standards when it comes to favorite tennis players.
Why do people always have to feel pressured to justify or elaborate on why their favorite player is their favorite around here? If someone said that to me in real life, the noose would be up

·
Registered
24,655 Posts
why agassi who is older than him can still win slam and he cannot, poor chang :( :(

·
Registered
704 Posts
Wasn't he supposed to retire like 2 years ago ? He's been talking about it so much I almost thought it was something of the past..Honestly, I'm sort of sick of hearing about this...

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Re: Re: Chang to retire after the US Open

Tennisfan-Mtl said:
Wasn't he supposed to retire like 2 years ago ? He's been talking about it so much I almost thought it was something of the past..Honestly, I'm sort of sick of hearing about this...
No, people has been asking about his retirement and Chang kept saying no until early this year that he announced his retirement.

·
Registered
24,655 Posts
the bad tv never shows any chang matches :mad:

·
SammySammySammy OiOiOi
12,534 Posts
I have no problem with Chang himself but ... about bloody time. I was beginning to wonder if the "farewell tour" was ever going to end.

·
Registered
887 Posts
hmmm i've seen a few chang matches, so i don't know about that. he's lost in the first round of a lot of tournaments, so theres your reason you havent seen him more.
the farewell tour is a little annoying to me (even though i adore chang) because hes sucking up wild cards that could be going to up and comers because his ranking isnt high enough to get into these events.
a farewell tour is a nice thing if you can win a few matches and be placed into the draw on your own merit.
i guess i have mixed feelings, as do many others i'd assume... probably a bunch of 17 year olds itching to get into tournaments. ah oh well, he puts some butts in seats on opening days... thats about the only objective plus...

·
Registered
24,655 Posts
poor chang, i just want to see him win at least one match, i read that he had a match point but failed to convert :sad:

i want to see his match :sad: but the bad tv never shows :mad:

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Re: Re: Chang to retire after the US Open

Number1Kim said:
I have no problem with Chang himself but ... about bloody time. I was beginning to wonder if the "farewell tour" was ever going to end.
It will end in less than a month! So relax!

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
faboozadoo15 said:
hmmm i've seen a few chang matches, so i don't know about that. he's lost in the first round of a lot of tournaments, so theres your reason you havent seen him more.
the farewell tour is a little annoying to me (even though i adore chang) because hes sucking up wild cards that could be going to up and comers because his ranking isnt high enough to get into these events.
a farewell tour is a nice thing if you can win a few matches and be placed into the draw on your own merit.
i guess i have mixed feelings, as do many others i'd assume... probably a bunch of 17 year olds itching to get into tournaments. ah oh well, he puts some butts in seats on opening days... thats about the only objective plus...
for up and coming 17 years old, if he is good enough, he will get his WC next year or he may be good enough getting to main draw without a WC, next year.

But next year, there will be no Chang.

btw, lots of WC players lost in 1st round.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Too bad Chang couldn't have beaten Arazi and gotten that one last win. You know that he doesn't have the stamina to win a best of five set match at the Open.

·
Registered
24,655 Posts
poor chang, Ferrira is even older than him but got more staima than him, he cannot play the 3rd set :sad:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts