Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Albeit the year just started and Nadal/Roger can do it as well, still an impressive achievement. ?

"With his Australian Open title Sunday, Novak Djokovic became the first man in the Open Era (since 1968) to win a major title in three different decades, and just the third player, male or female, to do so."

PLAYERTIME SPAN
Novak Djokovic2008-2020
Serena Williams1999-2017
Martina Navratilova1978-1990

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Serena is still with a chance to make it 4 decades, now that would certainly be unmatched for a loooong time...

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Rafa has at least one RG in him and will do this feat, for sure.

The ship has sailed for Federer already. I think Serena will also not win another grand slam after falling in 4 grand slam finals and in 2 grand slam finals to newcomers like Osaka and Andreescu.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Except the decade starts next year. Just like third millennium didn't start with year 2000.
Most people and a wide group of people think that this decade has already started. Only a minority think decade starts next year.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Except the decade starts next year. Just like third millennium didn't start with year 2000.
There isn't just one correct answer here... While that is true in the sense of a mathematically consistent counting of decades from the beginning of the calendar (given that the calendar starts at year 1), the popular usage of the term "decade" counts decades from years from 0-9.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How did I know that this would turn into a "the decade didn't start yet" topic.
Every date is arbitrary. There is no universal counting time. So whatever the majority decide is basically it. Argument is futile.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Majority once thought that the Earth is flat, and..?
Well they had you burned at the stake if you said the Earth was round then, so it probably wasn't wise to argument that claim, now was it?

·
Registered
10,759 Posts
I was wondering how many posts it would take for some wannabe pedant to inaccurately insist that the new decade begins in 2021. A few more than I expected, to be honest. They're usually the first to respond.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Majority once thought that the Earth is flat, and..?
In this case, the only truth is that a decade represents a period of ten consecutive years. A decade could be 2010-2019, 2011-2020, 2015-2024... From Wikipedia:

A decade is a period of 10 years. The word is derived from the Ancient Greek: δεκάς, romanized: dekas, which means a group of ten. Decades may describe any ten year period, such as those of a person's life, or refer to specific groupings of calendar years.
So what matters in the end is the popular usage of the term.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
I guess I kind of fail to see the real significance of this. Sure it's kind of a cool thing, but Federer for instance has a 15 year gap between his first and last slam and Nadal 14 years. Djokovic has a 12 year gap at the moment so all he really did differently was win the first slam of the 2020s.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts