Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MOSCOW (AP) -- Russian tennis star Anna Chakvetadze was tied up by masked robbers who broke into her home Tuesday and stole money and goods worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, her father said.
Chakvetadze, ranked No. 6 and a 2007 U.S. Open semifinalist, was bound for 30 minutes in her home outside Moscow but not seriously hurt, NTV television reported.
"Anna is holding up quite well," Russia tennis coach Shamil Tarpishchev told the ITAR-Tass news agency.
Six assailants approached the home before dawn, tied up a maid in another building and forced her to hand over a remote control enabling them to enter the house through the garage, Dzhamal Chakvetadze told NTV.
"They started to beat me, and I resisted. They hit me over the head with, I think, a pistol butt. It was dark," he said, taking off his cap to show his bruised scalp. "They took out a pistol and told me my child was at home -- reminded me -- and they told me to hand everything over. I did."
Police and Tarpishchev said the assailants tied up Chakvetadze and her parents, the ITAR-Tass news agency reported. Tarpishchev said the 20-year-old player "tried to resist but it was useless."
Chakvetadze's 9-year-old brother, Roman, was asleep in the house during the break-in and was not touched, Tarpishchev said.
NTV said the robbers took about $106,000 in cash, as well as jewelry and other goods worth about $200,000.
Moscow region police did not answer phone calls seeking comment.
Chakvetadze reached a career-high ranking of No. 5 in September, following her first run to a Grand Slam semifinal. She won four singles titles and about $1.4 million in prize money in 2007, her best season since turning pro in 2003.
Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/tennis/12/18/bc.ten.chakvetadzerobbe.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

·
Ace Loveforty
83,412 Posts
that is horrible but fortunately she and her family are not hurt

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
My house was robbed a couple of times, - thankfully I wasn't there on either occasion, but the whole experience of someone going through your house and your stuff is truly horrible, without the added stress of being there and going through the fear and danger that Anna and her family went though. I hope she will get over the trauma as soon as possible, and glad no one was hurt.

Reactions: the cat

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
That's a horrible experience indeed. At least noone was hurt, but still... hope she and her family will get over the trauma soon.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
My house was burglarized once and it's a terrible experience. It's a relief that she and her family were not harmed and her little brother slept thru the ordeal. It's pretty traumatic for little kids.

And sounds like the robbers have inside information. They really need to check the servants worked or working for the household.

·
Registered
55,432 Posts
Holy shit, glad everyone is ok.

I have to ask though....why keep so much cash in the house?
my point exactly,but i guess that's a common ideea in Easter Europe to keep your money (or a large sum) somewhere handy where you can watch it and be assured of it .My grandma does that too :eek: and she's really paranoic abt the robbing thing when my neighbors are some rich asses kuweitians who have gold and money in their house so u gotta be a dumb thief to rob us and not them :lol: . But they got robbed two times and it was us who experienced that cuz they were not home and we called the police and everything (they always tell us we're good neighbors :lol: ).

At the end of the day,i bet it was not nice at all and i'm glad she's all ok and my advice to her would be,as she's well known and pretty, she should get some decent alarm device who might protect her not only from robbers but also fanatics and stuff. And for the God's sake,someone got to tell her banks have been invented a couple of hundred years ago and they're perfectly functional ;)

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
She is lucky that what happened to Sean Taylor didn't happen to her.
Yes, she is. :eek: This is one of my greatest nightmares: to be attcked in my bed while sleeping. At least the young boy did not have to go through this. Did they know hwo she was? They could have kidnapped her?? :sad:

·
Banned
59,367 Posts
World Number 6 Anna Chakvetadze News Story!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

http://www.timesofmalta.com/article...kvetadze-escapes-unharmed-after-house-robbery

We all know Anna cries alot, just imagine her in this situation!.

I hope she can recover well.

This can be so traumatic and hard to recover from.:sad::mad:

Chakvetadze escapes unharmed after house robbery

Russia tennis player Anna Chakvetadze escaped unharmed after several men broke into her house in southwest Moscow early on Tuesday.

"Five to six unknown people wearing masks climbed over the fence of the country house at about 4:00 a.m. Moscow time (0100 GMT), then broke into the house and tied her parents up," a police spokesman said.

"They took money and valuables worth some five million roubles (over $200,000)."

World number six Chakvetadze has won four singles titles this year, earning more than $1.4 million in prize money.

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
Re: World Number 6 Anna Chakvetadze News Story!

Wow!

I hope she can recover from this traumatic experience.

Always liked her style of play.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts

Wish her all the best.

·
Registered
677 Posts

Anna Chakvetadze's statement to fans and media

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is at www.theannachakvetadze.com, Anna's official website -

"Thank you to everyone for your concern and support to me and my family. My family and I will get through this. This was a very difficult experience for us, but the police are investigating and we hope to move on."

Anna

·
Registered
1,933 Posts

I hope the intruders will punished with capital punishment.

·
Banned
59,367 Posts

It must be such a disgusting feeling to have, not to feel safe anymore in your own home.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts