Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great win for the 17-year-old Brazilian. Good to see he is already playing at a high level. I'm excited to see how the rest of his week goes (and the rest of the series of Challengers in Brazil)

·
Bring it Home
21,072 Posts
Re: Santos CH: 17y Orlando "Orlandinho" Luz def. Guido Andreozzi 6-4, 4-6, 6-3

Good win for Orlando Luz, he's a nice prospect. I can't stand this "Orlandinho" nickname though. Stupid manner to call athletes here in Brazil (always ending with "Inho", for the foreigners, this means a diminutive of the name).

·
Registered
13,091 Posts

Good win for wimbledon jr doubles champion.

·
Premium Member
62,012 Posts

Youngsters popping up all over the place, impressive stuff.

·
Your visions will happen
50,972 Posts
Been following this Luz since the juniors and in some SA futures/CH events but this is a huge win :eek:

·
Registered
11,293 Posts

Good win for Orlando Luz, he's a nice prospect. I can't stand this "Orlandinho" nickname though. Stupid manner to call athletes here in Brazil (always ending with "Inho", for the foreigners, this means a diminutive of the name).
Doktor Carpetinho in ruins :haha:

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Very nice. It's good to see the juniors starting to step it up

·
Registered
2,177 Posts

He came up with it himself.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I think its really likeable he reachs the QF here. Next is Zormann. They are 2-2 on Juniors H2H though, but Luz won the last two in 2014 in straights.
He is literally a light (luz in portuguese = light) in brazilian tennis.

He came up with it himself.
Actually is a general manner, and not only among athletes. Here in my work we have Paulinho, Marcinho, Durvalzinho...
There are two cases when this often happen:
1 - When there are two persons with the same name, so the smaller one ended up being nicknamed with "inho". (and the taller sometimes with "ão" -> Example: "Orlandinho" and "Orlandão".
2 - When the person is just smaller and nothing more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts