Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second challenger tour title for Martin Klizan in two weeks, what a impressive streak.

Today he defeated Ungur, who played very well for the first two sets. Ungur led 63 21 (40-0 on serve) in the match, but Klizan was fighting.

At 5-3 for Klizan in 2nd set and on his serve, they have played a game that lasted 20+ minutes, Klizan fought off 7-8 breakpoints and failed to convert some other setpoints, but managed to come through.

3rd set was a little bit beatdown, nice bagel at the end.

Klizan gains 160 points for this 2 weeks, winning Rabat & Marrakech double, he will be in top 100 once again.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
CH Marrakech F: Klizan def. Ungur 3-6 6-3 6-0

Match went through two rain delays. Ungur was 1/11 on BPs in the second set and was up a break early in the set at 2-*0. Klizan was upset with the crowd, was upset with the conditions, was upset with his own game. Klizan was up a break in the first set, but missed 8/9 BPs in the set. Ungur counter-punched very effectively, was more professional and more consistent the first half of the match. It wasn't until the first rain-delay in the second set at 3-2 Klizan where Martin started to take over. Klizan had a chance to break at 3-2, didn't, then Ungur had chances to break at 3 all and failed to do so. Klizan broke for *5-3, then Ungur missed 6 break points to get back even in the set in an extremely long game. Ungur then tanked in the third set.

Two extremely talented yet mentally fragile players, this match was always going to be dramatic. Klizan up to #92 with this result, both guys are now in the top 100. Hopefully they can translate their tennis in ATP events.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
OMG someone beat me to posting the challenger result. I guess I shouldn't be surprised you would make this in support of Klizan, though, and I don't mean than in a bad way :lol:

It was six BPs missed by Ungur in the 5-3 game in the second set, but virtually every one was saved with aggressive play or a big serve by Klizan. Klizan fought but Ungur didn't put Martin away when he had every opportunity to do so. Martin was the mentally stronger of the two. That's what ultimately brought him to victory.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Klizan won also a doubles title in Marrakech yesterday + he was in doubles final in Rabat last week. He is very on fire right now.

Maybe ATP 250 tournament in Casablanca which is starting in two weeks may give him a wild card to main draw. :)

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
They'll probably select home players, or ATP players, but it would be well deserved for Klizan to get a WC into Casablanca given his results on the Moroccan challenger tour.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OMG someone beat me to posting the challenger result. I guess I shouldn't be surprised you would make this in support of Klizan, though, and I don't mean than in a bad way :lol:
I was surprised you haven´t posted the thread, so I did it. :p

Sometimes I like challenger tour more than World Tour, like these days - already looking forward to Le Gosier ;)

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
Ungur was broken from 40-0 first game of the 3rd set.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Ungur was broken from 40-0 first game of the 3rd set.
He was, Klizan hit 2 winners in a row, FH return, BH DTL. Then Ungur missed a BH during a rally and that was it. As soon as Klizan got back in that game, broke, then held his first service game after Ungur had 0-30, match was over. Klizan's confidence is super high right now, though. Even in bad positions, he doesn't look like he feels he can lose.

·
Registered
11,858 Posts
Didn't Casablanca give Klizan a WC in 2010?

They may do it again :shrug:

Edit: ok nvm he qualified there :lol:

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
I was surprised you haven´t posted the thread, so I did it. :p

Sometimes I like challenger tour more than World Tour, like these days - already looking forward to Le Gosier ;)
I was being lazy :p

Oh, and my brother was talking to me about NBA so I got distracted :lol:

I PREFER challengers over ATP 500/1000 events, overall. Definitely. Challengers is real tennis and real competition. Plus it's not the same guys playing over, and over, and over again, which is horribly boring.

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
I remember Dolgopolov propelled himself into a tour career by having a lot of success in Moroccan Challengers in 2010 (2 finals and a win), hopefully Klizan can do the same.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,412 Posts
rain affected the match a lot

Ungur was cruising and Klizan was very pissed after the first set
then Ungur missed again some chances to level the second set at 3-5

·
Registered
97,310 Posts
klizan can play
he is mentally fragile, but apparently it seems less fragile than ungur (for whom it was 3rd final loss of the year)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts