Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Karlovic was up 6-1 in the final set tie-break with Marcos Giron saving 5 consecutive match points.

Unexpected surgery complication with a fatal outcome.

Sad day for tennis. :sad:

Reactions: Mateya and MWW

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
That was crazy, where has this Karlovic been all season? he looked almost as good as i have seen him play, backhand slice was very low and accurate and the forehand not too leaky.

Credit to Giron who stayed calm under the pressure and deservedly won in the end with an ace, the irony.

·
Registered
8,490 Posts
Was unfortunately a massive choke from Dr Ivo. Really a shame because he played fantastic in that third set but for some reason took a lot off of his serve at 6-3 and 6-4 in the TB

·
Banned
1,319 Posts
That was crazy, where has this Karlovic been all season? he looked almost as good as i have seen him play, backhand slice was very low and accurate and the forehand not too leaky.

Credit to Giron who stayed calm under the pressure and deservedly won in the end with an ace, the irony.
He started the tournament playing very poor but upped his game as the tournament went on. Broken 3 times by Sekou Bangoura. Sekou fucking Bangoura. Three times.

Karlovic would have broken his own record of being the oldest challenger title winner by over a year had he won.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
One of the many chokes by Karlovic in the past few years. Haven't watched this match, but I would bet $1000 right now that he had at least one double fault on those MPs. So many double faults in important situations this year, really time to hang the racket.

Good win for Giron, he's a fighter and deserves this.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,575 Posts
Lel. Doctor did not dose his anaesthetic to completion, let his opponent wake up mid surgery!!

Well done to Giron for staying mentally tough.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,575 Posts

Ivo started well in the season nearly winning Pune and also gave Kei a real scare with one of his best service levels I've ever seen at AO. But again, did not pass the fortitude test.

113 Posts
One of the many chokes by Karlovic in the past few years. Haven't watched this match, but I would bet $1000 right now that he had at least one double fault on those MPs. So many double faults in important situations this year, really time to hang the racket.

Good win for Giron, he's a fighter and deserves this.
You'd be out a quick stack because MG got back both of his serves back down 3-6(4-6 was a 2nd serve) but the big guy blew both backhand volley returns. I suggest you download the livestream.com app find the challenger tour feature and search the archives for the match. Totally worth it just to see Ivo putting his hands on his hips once it got to 5-6 and then questioning the final ace by MG which might have been long.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Those who managed to watch it to the end, got a reward for that and could witness such a scenes in the end. Wow.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Ouch!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
You'd be out a quick stack because MG got back both of his serves back down 3-6(4-6 was a 2nd serve) but the big guy blew both backhand volley returns. I suggest you download the livestream.com app find the challenger tour feature and search the archives for the match. Totally worth it just to see Ivo putting his hands on his hips once it got to 5-6 and then questioning the final ace by MG which might have been long.
Yep, just watched everything from 5-5 in the 3rd till the end. Entertaining stuff no doubt. Karlovic looked good in rallies, slice and movement looked as good as ever but ROS and going to the net killed him...and brought the patient back from the dead.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Karlovic being a perennial boomer choker somehow makes him likeable even though his game is atrocious to watch almost always. I saw him lose in straights to Delpo in Stockholm. I was excited before the match as I dont watch much live tennis. But it was just boring as hell even tho Iike both of those guys. Atmosphere was like that of the funeral of someone no one particularly liked. Fortunately I watched a pretty epic Dimitrov Andersson match the same day

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
How the hell do you choke a 6-1 lead in a tiebreak with that caliber of a serve? Let alone against a mug like Giron. That is some Shitdasco and Almugro level choking.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
Giron ? Coming back from 1-6 in a tiebreak against Dr. Ivo is quite a stat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts