Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After losing in R1 of the qualifying event in New York, this talented German headed to Asia to partake in the several challenger events, and he sure hasn't disappointed thus far! He's won the Bangkok and Shanghai challenger events to move from #151 to #111, with nothing to defend the rest of the season. Also, reportedly the winner of this challenger was to earn a WC into the Shanghai Masters, so this is a huge week and important run in the career of Stebe. Let's all hope he continues to build on this.

Shanghai
2011-09-11 Championship Cedrik-Marcel Stebe 2-1 Alexandre Kudryavtsev 6-4 4-6 7-5
2011-09-10 Semi-Finals Jurgen Zopp 0-2 Cedrik-Marcel Stebe 2-6 5-7
2011-09-09 Quarter-Finals Luka Gregorc 0-2 Cedrik-Marcel Stebe 3-6 5-7
2011-09-08 1/8 Nicholas Monroe 0-2 Cedrik-Marcel Stebe 0-6 3-6
2011-09-06 1/16 Farrukh Dustov 1-2 Cedrik-Marcel Stebe 6-7 6-1 4-6

Bangkok
2011-09-03 Championship Amir Weintraub 0-2 Cedrik-Marcel Stebe 5-7 1-6
2011-09-02 Semi-Finals Cedrik-Marcel Stebe 2-0 Harri Heliovaara 6-0 6-3
2011-09-01 Quarter-Finals Cedrik-Marcel Stebe 2-0 Yong-Kyu Lim 6-3 6-2
2011-08-31 1/8 Cedrik-Marcel Stebe 2-0 Peerakiat Siriluethaiwattana 6-4 6-3
2011-08-29 1/16 Cedrik-Marcel Stebe 2-1 Nicholas Monroe 2-6 7-6 6-0

·
A happy person
44,904 Posts
Glad for him but I really hope he doesn't get WC for Shangai Masters, I think he isn't Masters level player yet, sorry. Definitely he is continuously improving and one day he becomes a good ATP player.

I hope he wins qualifying and makes me wrong and shows it's his place already. :)

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
And what's the reason we should be made aware of your particular enthusiasm about the fact, Filo? Is he your sexual partner?

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, he's a talented youngster who is up and coming and doing well, and one many people on here like and follow. It's always good to know how the young guns are progressing.

·
Banned
4,017 Posts
Who cares, really. There are better and more talented young players coming up. And, among them, Stebe is one of the worst.

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
Stebe's game just suits playing mugs :shrug: When he faces a player with any sort of game he'll lose, simple as.

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
Cheers for the thread Filo. Stebe gets 160 points from his Challengers this fortnight which is almost as much as a US Open 4th rounder. He should get direct entry into the Australian Open at this rate.

·
Banned
21,935 Posts
Stebe's game just suits playing mugs :shrug: When he faces a player with any sort of game he'll lose, simple as.
i beg to differ unless you count ferrero,harrison, davydenko and fognini as mugs

also was the only one to take a set off kohli in Halle

but congrats to stebe, top 100 by years end is almost a guarantee at this point

·
A happy person
44,904 Posts
Cheers for the thread Filo. Stebe gets 160 points from his Challengers this fortnight which is almost as much as a US Open 4th rounder. He should get direct entry into the Australian Open at this rate.
This challenger wins remember me Dimitrov from the last year. He won 2 tournament in row. :angel: Anyway it was Bangkok too. :lol:

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Glad for him but I really hope he doesn't get WC for Shangai Masters, I think he isn't Masters level player yet, sorry.
Maybe, but WC are done for young promising players, to help them to grow up with giving them their first experiences with the top level. Actually Stebe won matchs against Ferrero, Davydenko twice, Fognini. He isn't top 50 level for the moment, but I think it's a better WC from my point of view that one given to a Chinese like Wu or Gong.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Why don't you like him again? :lol:
I think he wasn't nice to her at Wimby qualifying. Perhaps he was just concentrated as he had to come out again after one of these many rain delays at the qualifying tournament.

And yes, Adri89 is fully right.
Next stop is Ningboo, facing a qualifier in the 1st round.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
It'll be nice to see him on the main tour more often, especially as he showed promise in main tour events over the summer.

However, the winning streak in challengers isn't quite as impressive as it looks. On paper, he has a 39-15 record in main draws (challenger and ATP) this season, but strip out matches against players ranked outside the top 175 and he is only 13-10. I'm not hyping him up just yet.

·
A happy person
44,904 Posts
Maybe, but WC are done for young promising players, to help them to grow up with giving them their first experiences with the top level. Actually Stebe won matchs against Ferrero, Davydenko twice, Fognini. He isn't top 50 level for the moment, but I think it's a better WC from my point of view that one given to a Chinese like Wu or Gong.
Good points. It seems he really plays well at this home but he showed nothing abroad.. except Wimby.
I think what is the best for his career, collecting confidence (with winning matches and making MDs.) and experience.

I believe that he can and this way is the best for everybody.. Really, especially if he gets quite hard opponent as WC, it tournament will be totally negative but if he wins that two Q-matches against lower ranked players.. One... he shows it's his place, and two... I read before.

Plus WC can cause expectations, young and talented players don't need it. See some 'overrated' young player.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
It'll be nice to see him on the main tour more often, especially as he showed promise in main tour events over the summer.

However, the winning streak in challengers isn't quite as impressive as it looks. On paper, he has a 39-15 record in main draws (challenger and ATP) this season, but strip out matches against players ranked outside the top 175 and he is only 13-10. I'm not hyping him up just yet.
Yeah, he doesn't have such a good record against better guys but that's also part of his smart scheduling. Playing these Asian challengers is the best he could do, so you get seeded at the bigger European CHs and get into weak 250's and the Slams. I think it's all about 'coming through' the challenger level. And he showed he's ready to compete in weaker ATP events.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Yes, and don't forget - this is his first "real" season, he didn't play "seriously" prior to end of 2010.
I've read he is from "Schuettler & Waske Tennis University in Offenbach". Are these Schuettler & Waske are Schuettler & Waske I am thinking about?

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Yes, and don't forget - this is his first "real" season, he didn't plat "seriously" prior to end of 2010.
I've read he is from "Schuettler & Waske Tennis University in Offenbach". Are these Schuettler & Waske are Schuettler & Waske I am thinking about?
Yes, they are :)
For example Petkovic is also practicing there, their academy grows and grows and so far it had only positive effects.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts