Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excellent performance from DGT he even hit his backhand well by his standard, First ever ATP final and if he wins it, then it will be best for business.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
NO SIGNLE BREAK POINT FOR VESELY IN ENTIRE MATCH. Just one game with deuce.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Good win for the spaniard. Quite shocking that Vesely didn't manage to get a single break point in the match.

Below I shall try to quantify the elegance and creativity in Veselys game:

·
Registered
10,385 Posts
Gimeno-Traver is 29 and I remember him only for playing against Sluiter in Rosmalen in '09, when he was coming back from retirement.

It feels like he's never even challenged a top player, though I might be wrong.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Gimeno-Traver is 29 and I remember him only for playing against Sluiter in Rosmalen in '09, when he was coming back from retirement.

I remember him beating Gasquet at Madrid two years ago.
Surprised he's only 29, I feel like he's 32-34 years old!
Big opportunity missed here by Vesely

·
Registered
12,469 Posts

Took a set off of Berdych, I believe.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
That match against Berdych was a horrible choke and it´s a shame. Even if someone might say, that choke is overused, IIRC he was playing an amazing match but was absolutely clueless once he was closer to the victory and it peaked in that tiebreak. So that basically means he was just his usual self.

·
Registered
70,519 Posts
totally unexpected result here. well done gimeno, wasnt expecting this week at all

·
Registered
70,519 Posts
DGT has taken sets off Djokovic, Murray, Berdych, Wawrinka (who hasn't?) and has victories over Gasquet, Lopez, Robredo, Kohli, Melzer (when top 10), Mugro, Davydenko. he also impressively lost to Dick Norman at 38.
this. i mean he is a journeyman but he has played very good matches before. his run on madrid on blue clay and the previous year were both very decent

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
DGT has taken sets off Djokovic, Murray, Berdych, Wawrinka (who hasn't?) and has victories over Gasquet, Lopez, Robredo, Kohli, Melzer (when top 10), Mugro, Davydenko. he also impressively lost to Dick Norman at 38.
I just checked his H2H with Djoko, and he actually beat him in Barcelona in 2006 :eek:

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
He isn´t actually even that horrible when it comes to playing style as some people are trying to say.

Peak Gimeno Traver has a clean and yeah, even agressive strokes and is capable of making a decent amount of winners and actually dictating rallies from the forehand side. I would say his mentality was even more of a weakness than his backhand.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DGT has a solid serve with a huge and heavy forehand, especially the off forehand but he doesn't defend very well and the backhand is poor.

He is the poor mans Moya, yes even copying Moya's backhand.

·
Registered
10,385 Posts
Only those three are somewhat impressive. Although taking a set off doesn't have to mean you are challenging the other guy.

·
Registered
20,717 Posts
yesterday after he won QF i thought if DGT wins SF, AJ must come back to open his favorite son's thread :worship:

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I've long thought DGT somewhat underachieved. He's got a very solid clay game. I too think mentality has been his biggest weakness.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts