Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No words :spit:

First ATP win for the Belgian. And he also was down *4-0 and *5-3 in the third set of his final qualifying round against Giustino.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Great fighting spirit and a dream debut for the Belgian on this level. Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
Good greef, Diego :facepalm:

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I have a lot of respect for Schwartzman. It's incredible he's got to the level he has with that serve.

·
Registered
70,519 Posts
de greef :bowdown: respect. huge win for him

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
I watched this from the first point to the last because I was rooting for Diego then this choke happens. :facepalm: From the beginning it was an even match. Schwartzman's serve is a huge liability but it's nothing new and he usually makes for it with his return game but De Greef has a big serve. He often missed the 1st serve but when he made it it gave him big chances to win the point. Schwartzman's return on the 2nd serve wasn't good he stepped inside the court like he always does with his returns were weak and just allowed him to start a neutral rally.
De Greef on the other hand was crushing the returns on 2nd serve but missed way more than he made which put him down 6-4 5-4 40-15. At that moment I thought Schwartzman was going to win just because he made less errors than De Greef other than that De Greef was serving bigger and hitting more winners. So at 40-15 Schwartzman turned into an error machine. The next 3 points were all ues, he saved a bp with a good backhand then made two more ues. I was surprised by how calm De Greef was in this match there were some suspicious non calls on shots by Diego on important points and he didn't complain about it. De Greef broke for the set with a backhand winner and screamed "Allez" for the first time in the match. In the last set he cut down the errors that he was making in first two sets and jumped to a 3-0 lead but somehow he got broken at 3-1 despite making 2 aces then it became 3-3 deuce on his serve it seemed like Schwartzman would turn things around but a couple of big serves saved De Greef. At 5-4 it was NID that Schwartzman would lose he can't make a 1st serve and nets many forehands under pressure.

Even if he had closed it out, I thought it was a disappointing performance by Schwartzman. He looked powerless and dictated the play only in a few points. His 2nd serve return wasn't a weapon today and he didn't change it throughout the whole match. At least he gave De Greef a classy handshake :awww:

Reactions: Dead Net Cord

·
-
86 Posts
thanks for the report.
smells like a fix. well done schwarzi

1 - 13 of 13 Posts