Mens Tennis Forums banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
The ball kids were bouncing many balls about waist height to the players to be caught on the raquet, and they were very young, so not much to get angry about, just a momentary, split second reaction by Tennys.
But he did immediately apologise to the linesman I think.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I would give Sandgren more benefit of the doubt if he didn't just whip at the ball in annoyance.. its clearly not because of how he's playing (being up a break) and the toss by the kid wasn't harmful at all.

Just a guy who lost it for a second. If you don't want to overreact, than maybe Sandgren shouldn't have overreacted either.

·
F***ing have it
17,852 Posts
Well done. But 1) What if Kyegios was the one who didi this. Everyone would be celebrating or making excuses 2) the ATP is showing players breaking raquects as something cool, so they are sending mixed signals

·
Registered
Fred
23,784 Posts
There should be a "rage corner" on each side of the court. All with a door and sound isolation (I would make the walls transparent plexiglass though -- we fans need our dose too).

Players could enter there and smash the ball and racquets all they like. I would even place a manequin for their convenience.

ATP would never, but let's hope PTPA considers it.

·
justice for all
19,403 Posts
So basically Novak moment all over again?

At least they are consistent in their decisions of defaulting players.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
He did not lose! The system is rigged. He is still in that match.

Maybe his fans can gather in front of the capitol to set things right?

·
Registered
23,624 Posts

·
Registered
4,073 Posts

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Guys need to stop assaulting line people or ball people with their anger, enough is enough. If you are mad, smash a racquet into the ground right in front of you, keep others out of your line of fire
This!

It's a horrible lack of impulse control.We've all had our frustrations in playing a sport and losing but you don't need to use the strings to hit something for god's sake.From that moment you do that a projectile is in play which alot of the times you can't control.

Hold your racquet and smash the f...g thing into the ground and more importantly there will be no collateral damage as a result of it.

You think people would've learnt after the Djokovic US OPEN incident.What if someone hits the ball hard into someone's chest and they go into cardiac arrest.. then what? .... Some soccer players have died at a ball being struck not even that hard at them when it's hit them in the chest.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Guys need to stop assaulting line people or ball people with their anger, enough is enough. If you are mad, smash a racquet into the ground right in front of you, keep others out of your line of fire
I don't think he even got 'mad' enough to smash a racquet. Just careless in a very fleeting reaction.

And I meant he did not get 'mad' enough as in anger. The other meaning may just be a permanent condition in his case.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Chokovic went to swipe at a ballgirl in the final but halted with World TV on him, smashed a racquet but got a standing ovation from the NY snowflakes. Couldn't make it up.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Funny how these things happen almost entirely in the USTA Pro Circuit. Americans love hitting officials, even Djokovic embraced it last year on US soil.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Imagine playing darts in your garage with Djokovic with your children nearby watching and he suddenly loses it when you one-up him.

They'd be harpooned good and proper.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Similar case to Djokovic. Missing impulse control, very silly behaviour and deserved default, but not intentional.
sandgren smacked the ball into a ballkid from 3 feet away, how could this possibly be not intentional?

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
sandgren smacked the ball into a ballkid from 3 feet away, how could this possibly be not intentional?
It was a linesman/judge. And the person was moving when his ass (literally) was hit. At least it was not his nuts.

To me it seems like Sandgren simply flicked the ball that he was hit with on his cojones — swatted it away. Not so much in anger but more as a matter of reflex.

By the way it looks like there a treasonous secret conspiracy of ballboys and ballgirls against Sandgren

Reactions: Armstrong2000
21 - 40 of 51 Posts