Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
59,346 Posts
Yeah, I hope he gets some credits. To save triple set point with 2 incredibly ballsy winners against the world #1 is an impressive feat. He really does have some of the best touch in the game too, was winning the drop-shot/volley wars consistently.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I agree, still far from winning the match but he certainly had the highest chances to beat Djokovic from any player maybe this whole year, and Djokovic was notably tired and maybe even injured

·
Premium Member
9,177 Posts
The way Busta came up with impressive shots when needed and frustrate the pusher into elimination was remarkable.

It's pretty clear Busta was the better player, now if he would've won it's another question RBA and Raonic were the better players as well but didn't pull it off.

Reactions: echf

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
He was playing well. The first 7 or 8 games were both players easily holding serve. PCB with success in the longer rallies.

Then when Novak had the three set points he had a bit of luck, a winner in by 2mm - definitely an all or nothing shot. The next BP Novak made a poor decision. But overall he turned the tide nicely to get back into the set and then got a break in an already dramatic game where Djokovic had previously fell over, landed with his weight on one arm and saw the phsyio immediately. Then we all know what happened.

PCB will be judged ultimately by his quarter final performance. His target now has to be to profit to the very maximum from the incident, like every other player.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Now question remains, if the match had continued and PCB had won the first set, would he have been able to carry out the upset? Djokovic was visibly disturbed and maybe even injured with shoulder.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Crazy to think.That lucky shot at 0-40 and then hawk-eye...Just some inches cost Nole tournament

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Excellent display of tennis from PCB. He went toe-to-toe with Djokovic, chased the balls well, and defended well.

It was a significant factor for the things unfolding in the way they did, on this unfortunate day.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Even I gotta admit PCB was playing some good tennis and hit some nice winners to save break points.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
It was a decent set from both. PCB actually hitting the ball with enough pace and depth.

·
Registered
824 Posts
PCB was a shoe in to win this match. The most disgusting thing about the "incident" is that Djokovic's tantrum stole PCB's glory. The better player won the match.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
True, all credit to PCB. We all dismissed his chances including myself. But he played a great first set and in a weird way earned his spot in the qf. Good job and congrats

·
Registered
8,511 Posts
Yeah, I hope he gets some credits. To save triple set point with 2 incredibly ballsy winners against the world #1 is an impressive feat. He really does have some of the best touch in the game too, was winning the drop-shot/volley wars consistently.
I saw you credit his touch also earlier. Stellar level indeed. The drop shot has been a decent weapon for Djokovic during these two US tournaments. More often successful than not. PCB was able to dig them up just enough to not give Novak and easy put away. Then the counter dropper from PCB himself that resulted in the first far more agitated ball bash / release of frustration.

·
Registered
8,511 Posts
Crazy to think.That lucky shot at 0-40 and then hawk-eye...Just some inches cost Nole tournament
I've seen this called a lucky shot by one other person as well. But PCB actually went for that shot; a controlled FH DTL from a good position. I do get the point of luck since the margin could not have been much smaller (there have been a few even closer ones actually :sneaky: IIRC on some Hawkeye compilation on YT), but you can't take away all credit from PCB even in that shot.

1:27

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Agree. Djokovic with a service performance of which even Karlovic would have been proud, but PCB was nevertheless leading with break. For sure with some luck, but well deserved.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts