Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is to be given credit for the Rafael Nadal we just saw?

Minus the foot speed, this Nadal was something akin to 2009 AO or 2010/2013 US Open Nadal.

Who deserves the credit here? Rafa himself? Tio Toni's ghost visiting Rafa before the match? Or Carlos Moya, who had/has a clear plan for Nadal in 2019?

I really can't recall the last time I have seen someone so aggressive as Nadal last night. Ballbashing and serving aces, etc. Was a rare treat for Nadal and tennis fans alike, minus Tsitsipas's decision making on a few points.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Who is to be given credit for the Rafael Nadal we just saw?

Minus the foot speed, this Nadal was something akin to 2009 AO or 2010/2013 US Open Nadal.

Who deserves the credit here? Rafa himself? Tio Toni's ghost visiting Rafa before the match? Or Carlos Moya, who had/has a clear plan for Nadal in 2019?

I really can't recall the last time I have seen someone so aggressive as Nadal last night. Ballbashing and serving aces, etc. Was a rare treat for Nadal and tennis fans alike, minus Tsitsipas's decision making on a few points.
It'd have to be Moya for most of it, and Nadal for executing properly. There was an article in a UK newspaper about their strategy floating around one of the other threads, I think.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Moyan, Rafa and Tio in that order.

Tio gets some credit because lets face it. He was the visionary who made Rafa be lefty and push him everyday to work harder and harder.

Rafa because hes a winner. And determined to always come back from i njury.

Moya because he took alot off Rafa, after a long career of training more and more he needed time to rest and relieve his body.
The new service motion not sure whos idea was it but its working.

Rafa also doesnt play the long plays like he use to. Hes cuttiong points shorter.

Lets face it. The longer he stays on court the higher the risk of injury.

We had a great example a few days ago.

Serena had match point, then made a foot fault. Then next play got injured and lost the chace to go to SF. Had se made an ace and not a foot fault.
And thats what i think Rafas team is thinking and saying. Get your 3 sets and get out healthy as possible.

On another note i dont think Rafa was injure vs Kandy. That was just a precaution no to get hurt but most important do not face Nole before it matters.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Well obviously Rafa and Moya, Toni was the one who got him to 2016. Moya was crucial--without Moya I have no doubt Rafa would have continued to flounder and sink.
In fact it seems without Moya around for stretches Rafa reverts to some of his old ways--they worked for a long time, but now we see the difference especially now.

But Toni was there from the start and no coach has ever been part of such a long success, that I know of anyway.
Thank god for Moya.

Rafa and Moya are playing for the top of the tennis books now, i.e. the historical record, and it's something to behold.
He seems way more driven than Djok on the court. Maybe that will change when Djok is looking at Rafa on the other side of the net.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Well obviously Rafa and Moya, Toni was the one who got him to 2016. Moya was crucial--without Moya I have no doubt Rafa would have continued to flounder and sink.
In fact it seems without Moya around for stretches Rafa reverts to some of his old ways--they worked for a long time, but now we see the difference especially now.

But Toni was there from the start and no coach has ever been part of such a long success, that I know of anyway.
Thank god for Moya.

Rafa and Moya are playing for the top of the tennis books now, i.e. the historical record, and it's something to behold.
He seems way more driven than Djok on the court. Maybe that will change when Djok is looking at Rafa on the other side of the net.

People here say Rafa hasnt been tested. And Nole has?

They havent faced anyone dangerous. Either due to bad form or they just got knocked out.

Nole only face Rafa at wimby and in those condtionos we know. After that what he won he didnt face Rafa.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
People here say Rafa hasnt been tested. And Nole has?

They havent faced anyone dangerous. Either due to bad form or they just got knocked out.

Nole only face Rafa at wimby and in those condtionos we know. After that what he won he didnt face Rafa.
People here are blind on the subject of Rafa.
He disposed of the guys who took out Fed, Khach, Anderson and dimitrov, and he did it in around 2 hours!

Rafa has beaten weaker opponents by greater margins than Djok has beaten weaker opponents.
Anyone want to say Shap and med are harder than Tsitsi, De min or Tiafoe?

Anyway, it will be clear very soon--so long as Djok gets through. Then it will be even clearer. LOL

I have thought Rafa was as good as Djok all of last year.
Djok in Toronto? lol

Now he is better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts