Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
70,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
he has officially announced his retirement this week

career high 254, really promising player when younger but too much pressure on him

he will be missed =(

·
justice for all
16,233 Posts
This just shows how tough it is to combat the high expectations from media or fans.

That’s exactly why I am reluctant to jump on hype trains for young promising players.

I’m not saying the guy had a chance to become a great player but there were many stories like this even with players of very high profile.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
A total blackout for me - I couldnt think of the guy without the -Purkiss lastname.

Never knew he was 'the next Nadal'. He was around 25 years old by the time I saw some matches from him. If anything I am a bit surprised he reached that good ranking.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
This is also happening to Nicolas Kuhn and will also happen to Alcaraz.

just another product of the dirt court spanish pusher factory.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Shame but looks like he got very little help from tennis people I don't know if that includes Spanish tennis fed, looks like he never even got a single WC for any of the Spanish clay ATP tournaments (not even qualies?), very odd if you ask me, I guess tennis is also all about connections, isn't it? It's definitely not easy to make it if you don't even get at least a little push from the people of your home country.

Looks like he knows Alcaraz, he talked to him in 2018 and was very impressed with his mentality, maybe there is hope for post-Nadal Spanish tennis after all.

Good interview in Spanish here:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
This just shows how tough it is to combat the high expectations from media or fans.

That’s exactly why I am reluctant to jump on hype trains for young promising players.

I’m not saying the guy had a chance to become a great player but there were many stories like this even with players of very high profile.
Yup, yet another reason for me not to turn pro.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Even being an ardent fan of Rafa, I never heard of this guy before. Maybe, there was a hype about him as "the next Nadal" in Spain.

Btw, there will never be another Nadal.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
These teenagers who get overhyped suffer by becoming a target, everybody they play gets a little more extra excited and motivated and juiced up to beat "next Nadal." Best to come up UNDER the radar. Gauff family, are you listening?

·
29,291 Posts
Next Nadal? This guy never beat a relevant tennis player in all his 12 years of tennis. Awful player.
This is true, he was referred to that like 10 years ago. Injuries and lack of size really hurt him it seems.

·
9,533 Posts

Im not sure re alcaraz dude. Defo re kuhn though and munar is still undecided

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Even being an ardent fan of Rafa, I never heard of this guy before. Maybe, there was a hype about him as "the next Nadal" in Spain.
Definitely on Mtf there was back then , must be what OP is refering , there was some attention to his last name (female asshole for us Argentines) But then we know that Mtf is all for hype , trash talk and shooting down . Hehe

·
MONSOON season.
82,208 Posts

Alcaraz's career is already much more successful than Boluda's ever was. Only injuries stand in his way of a great career. The comparison with Boluda makes no sense. Yes, both were hyped juniors, but Boluda never managed to translate that to the real tour, whereas Alcaraz already has.

Kuhn is also playing at a higher level than Boluda, though he'll likely have a disappointing career as well. There isn't much growth there.

·
Premium Member
9,991 Posts
Another guy whose career was partly destroyed by high expectation pressure.

So many Early "Baby Fed" or "Next Nadal" or "Next Djokovic" failed (TBH at different level) : Gasquet Dimitrov PCB Munar Coric Milojevic Kecmanovic.....

Not sure they would have achieved better otherwise but overhype never helped.

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
Well it's not all about expectations, probably a combination of many things. You just can't blame "next Nadal" for a youngster to break down and underperform. There is practice, dedication, drive, talent, or maybe he just wanted to stay home and play videogames instead (looking at you Jerzy).

A lot of youngsters are skyrocketing in their early days only to not develop into anything significant. Happens in every sport.

Reactions: PoliFanAthic
1 - 20 of 35 Posts