Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's make a list of epic shots that were made in extremely dramatic moments, and possibly changed players' careers forever.

Best one I can think of : Federers inside-out forehand to save break point against Tommy Haas at RG 09 QF in the 3rd set, being 2-0 down.

Another epic one: Nadal's backhand pass miss near the net against Djokovic at AO 12 Final, being 4-2 30-15 up in the final set. The whole court was open :\

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Two shots on this setpoint

If Feds excellent def shot had won the point, Fed would have taken the set, likely the match and remained world #1 to pass Sampras.

Soderlings backhand smash saved the setpoint, he took the set, scored his first career win over Federer. Broke Feds most amazing streak, probably tennis most amazing streak, ending it at 23 consecutive Grand Slam semifinals

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Davydenkos Choke at *5-3 40-30 in the third set in AO 06 against FED he maked 3 insane shots against Fed in the end Rog just returned it with average speed in the absolute middle of the court davy was at the net but instead of volleying it he decides to step back 2 steps and doing half-volley FH bunt to Feds backhand and failing by millimeters if he had gone for the volley it would've been 4-6 6-3 6-3 for Davy (facepalm) IN THEIR FIRST MEETING IN GS ! but he choked so much that it cannot even be considered one shot .....

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Two shots on this setpoint

If Feds excellent def shot had won the point, Fed would have taken the set, likely the match and remained world #1 to pass Sampras.

Soderlings backhand smash saved the setpoint, he took the set, scored his first career win over Federer. Broke Feds most amazing streak, probably tennis most amazing streak, ending it at 23 consecutive Grand Slam semifinals

nah, federer would have still beaten soderling in that final.

the real life-changing shot in RG 2010 was in the QF when federer shot that cross court FH winner when facing break point against haas in the third set in a moment when he was already 2 sets to love down.

federer woulld of course still be a huge legend in any case but i believe that if he hadn't made that shot he probly wouldnt have won the match and therefore wouldn't have won RG to this day.

EDIT: just noticed all of this was already in the OP...

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Djokovic's return on mp down was a "slam-career ending shot" for Federer.
slam career-ending shot:D:D:D:D if Roger and Novak will again play SF at USO and Roger will have MP - in corner on TV instead of match point should be slam-career ending shot and camera should be on Nole´s face:D

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Roddick BH volley, Wimby 09
yup.

roddick's volley skills were never the best but there he was clearly affected by nerves.

that was probly his last chance of winning wimby and defeating federer in the most imporant match of their loopsided rivalry.

·
Banned
3,655 Posts
nah, federer would have still beaten soderling in that final.

the real life-changing shot in RG 2010 was in the QF when federer shot that cross court backhand winner when facing break point against haas in the third set in a moment when he was already 2 sets to love down.

federer woulld of course still be a huge legend in any case but i believe that if he hadn't made that shot he probly wouldnt have won the match and therefore wouldn't have won RG to this day.
wrong year, bro.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Nadal perfect inside-out forehand winner at 30-40 bp down at 3-4 in the 5th set 2008 Wimbledon. He has done it so many times before, but to execute it perfectly at the time it matters most is what makes it impressive.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,412 Posts

·
Registered
6,773 Posts
slam career-ending shot:D:D:D:D if Roger and Novak will again play SF at USO and Roger will have MP - in corner on TV instead of match point should be slam-career ending shot and camera should be on Nole´s face:D
:lol: :lol:

Why? Nadal was the other finalist, not Youzhny.
Or Roddick :p

Yeah Nadal would have probably won but you can never be sure with him.

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
Yes it was. 3 slams in career best year > 2 slams and getting owned by Olderer in the other two.
I don't agree. :shrug: Losing Wimby's final would have been career changing, not that semi. :shrug:

He won 3 slams, it still wasn't enough for him to get the "best season ever" title, he had already made a clear stand by winning Wimby and he would have still been ranked #1 by the end of the year.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
This is Federer talking about that FH in 2009 to the NYT at the end of the year:

“Basically after I hit that forehand against Tommy, I knew that this was not only going to make me win that game or maybe that match, but that tournament,” Federer said. “And I knew what that would mean. I didn’t think about Wimbledon at that point, but honestly, deep down I knew this could be a turning point almost in my career.”

Federer added: “It gave me so much confidence, just one shot. And that shows you how tennis can change.”

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Fed's inside out against Haas is an obvious one.

Another obvious one is that closed eyes FH return from Djokovic at MP against Fed in USO semi.

N3 - Dimitrov's ace on second serve at BP 3-4 third set against Tbird :D

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Any of the shots where Coria pissed away that RG 04 final, determined he remained the best clay courter to have never won RG

1 - 20 of 40 Posts