Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh Canada! We should be strutting out stuff here, (I wanted to post this in General, but thought they would bump it here) 1 Canuck into the quarters and two still left round of 16; there were more Canadians still playing ROund of 16 than any other nation!
Really this is a milestone for Men's Canadian tennis.

I don't think it's all that unlikely a Canadian can win this, especially with Djok gone.
Thoughts?

And if so, which one is most likely?
Felix has the toughest opponent in Thiem, has looked the best, but also has had the weakest opponents. If he beats Thiem, then he becomes a real contender.
Posp has had the toughest draw by far. I wonder how much he'll have left, physically--even with the mushrooms!
I like Denis's chance against PCB and either AZ or Coric. I think Denis has a great chance of making the final.

Personally I love them all. I would be most thrilled for Posp--because of his age and how underanked he is and how his career has gone thus far.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Pospisil is the player I support most. I never thought he had any chance of winning (he has already lost as I write this), but what a ride while it lasted. I'd like to see him with a ranking that gets him directly into any main draw.

I like Shapovalov's chances against Carreno Busta and Coric, but not Zverev. I think Zverev is the better player at the moment. Zverev has played some inexplicably bad matches in majors in the past (e.g. vs. Raonic at Australian Open 2019), but he seemed to have put that behind him this year.

Felix against Dominic could be a war. Felix's ability to take balls on the rise will be put to the test against one of the hardest hitters on the tour. A lot of us overreacted to Thiem's one-sided loss to Krajinovic two weeks ago. He's playing well and I think he'll get it done against Auger-Aliassime today. His remarkable win against Nadal at this year's Australian Open showed how ready he is to be at the sport's highest level.

Whoever gets to the final has a massive opportunity to get nervous. It could go any way.

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
[...]

Felix against Dominic could be a war. Felix's ability to take balls on the rise will be put to the test against one of the hardest hitters on the tour. A lot of us overreacted to Thiem's one-sided loss to Krajinovic two weeks ago. He's playing well and I think he'll get it done against Auger-Aliassime today. His remarkable win against Nadal at this year's Australian Open showed how ready he is to be at the sport's highest level. [...]
Not to mention taking Djokovic to 5 sets in the final. Almost won ATP Finals last year as well, beating both Djokovic and Fed in Round Robin.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pospisil is the player I support most. I never thought he had any chance of winning (he has already lost as I write this), but what a ride while it lasted. I'd like to see him with a ranking that gets him directly into any main draw.

I like Shapovalov's chances against Carreno Busta and Coric, but not Zverev. I think Zverev is the better player at the moment. Zverev has played some inexplicably bad matches in majors in the past (e.g. vs. Raonic at Australian Open 2019), but he seemed to have put that behind him this year.

Felix against Dominic could be a war. Felix's ability to take balls on the rise will be put to the test against one of the hardest hitters on the tour. A lot of us overreacted to Thiem's one-sided loss to Krajinovic two weeks ago. He's playing well and I think he'll get it done against Auger-Aliassime today. His remarkable win against Nadal at this year's Australian Open showed how ready he is to be at the sport's highest level.

Whoever gets to the final has a massive opportunity to get nervous. It could go any way.
YUeah, I supported Posp most too, but he ran out of gas by De Min. I think his best could have taken out De Min, but he was already spent.

I think Thiem or Med will win this, but I think Denis can make the final, watched Zverev today, and didn't think he was better than denis has been.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts