Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
It is amazing.
Maybe a nod to Frank Dancevic too???
I don't like their chances against Spain though.
But making the final will be an amazing result and i will still be incredibly proud.
Once Felix and denis hit their prime this will be for sure a winning team (Russia will be the other huge threat in a few years).

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Absolute scenes!!!! So happy. Both guys are a credit to their country and parents

·
Registered
242 Posts
That was a matter of time when Canada makes some deep run in DC considering they had two best junior players in respective years (Shapo and FAA), what's interesting that they make this run without teenage FAA and with 20yo Shapovalov only recently making some solid development.

I don't think they'll beat Spain, but with Felix and Shapo they'll have great singles duo (and with this new DC formula and playing indoor they won't be clay-prone in specific matchups), and they both have potential to be above average doubles players with Vasek (GS winner in doubles).

Perhaps last chance of many to win DC for Spain and first of many for Canada.

·
Your visions will happen
48,161 Posts
Hope Dancevic plays FAA in a singles tomorrow. Save Vasek for the dubs

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
This is a really bad idea. Vasek plays his heart out the make the finals and you don't let him play to let an injured player play a must win match. Disrespect.
Wouldn't worry about that. 99% sure Vasek is playing tomorrow. He'd have to be completely physically unable to play to not get the nod here after what he's done this week.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,101 Posts
Russia should win one later on with Medvedev in the mix.

Karen though struggled with Pospisil who he also lost to at the US Open.

·
Your visions will happen
48,161 Posts
This is a really bad idea. Vasek plays his heart out the make the finals and you don't let him play to let an injured player play a must win match. Disrespect.
Everybody killing themselves to win the thing this week it appears

·
Registered
281 Posts
My goodness what a difficult decision for Frank! My armchair view is that if Canada is to win, it will be in the doubles... and that means Vasek must be at his best when we get there... which means saving him for that eventuality... which means Felix in the singles. This is a team event, and Felix is part of the team. Vasek must be absolutely gassed. Adrenalin can take you a long way, but it takes a toll as well.

Reactions: Snowwy

·
28,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is a team event, and Felix is part of the team.
This is a team event that we want to win, not house league soccer. Do you really think that after a month off, Felix can come in on his worse surface and beat Lopez? Because I really doubt that he can and if he loses, the doubles doesn't matter.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I hope Pospisil can translate this week into decent tennis on the main tour.

Reactions: Tuggy

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
This is a team event that we want to win, not house league soccer. Do you really think that after a month off, Felix can come in on his worse surface and beat Lopez? Because I really doubt that he can and if he loses, the doubles doesn't matter.
That's a good argument. Tough decision. RBA might also play for Spain and keep Feliano fresh for the double as Granollers is also injured at the elbow. So for Spain, Rafa will play for sure single and double, Feliciano for sure the double with Rafa. And for Canada, I really don't know, but I agree with you, even if I'd like Felix to be part of the feast, it is a poisoned gift to let him play the first single after more than a month absence due to injury, it is a must win match.
So Vasek is probably the best option for the single, he also deserves it.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
By the end of yesterdays doubles Vasek didn't look 100% either. If he's fit and wants to play, by all means he should play singles, too. This is his achievement first and foremost (no disrespect to Shapo, but they don't win doubles because of him). However, if there's the slightest concern re his physical condition, he should focus on doubles indeed.

Having only 3 matches is difficult. There's no dead or semi dead rubbers, which you can throw away by letting players get their feet wet. And it favors countries with infinite depth like Spain or France even more than before. Teams that have a total of like 4 relevant players in both singles and doubles are screwed. Enough that one of these 4 is injured or absent or whatever, and you have a 2 man team plus a poor alternate.

It's hard to see Canada win. But heck, what an amazing story that would be. Fingers and toes crossed.

·
28,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's a good argument. Tough decision. RBA might also play for Spain and keep Feliano fresh for the double as Granollers is also injured at the elbow. So for Spain, Rafa will play for sure single and double, Feliciano for sure the double with Rafa. And for Canada, I really don't know, but I agree with you, even if I'd like Felix to be part of the feast, it is a poisoned gift to let him play the first single after more than a month absence due to injury, it is a must win match.
So Vasek is probably the best option for the single, he also deserves it.
I thought RBA left to be with his family?

·
Registered
9,113 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
It is amazing.
Maybe a nod to Frank Dancevic too???
I don't like their chances against Spain though.
But making the final will be an amazing result and i will still be incredibly proud.
Once Felix and denis hit their prime this will be for sure a winning team (Russia will be the other huge threat in a few years).
There are always chances. You just need to use them. And Russia is always threat;).

·
Registered
472 Posts
They had two best junior players in respective years (Shapo and FAA)
Time to grow up!
Perhaps last chance of many to win DC for Spain and first of many for Canada.
Dreams, dreams...
Save Vasek for the dubs
If match takes place.
The future looks bright with Shapo and FAA leading the charge.
Roger and I absolutely agree:). (If Switzerland does not lure ;)) .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts