Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tsonga and Wawrinka have now won two Masters 1000 Titles between them, Stan has also won a slam this year. Can we now assume that the big four is now more fragile than ever and that the grip is now being loosened up in the Masters 1000 events and the slams? Will this trend continue?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
On the basis of a couple of tournaments? No.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Nah, the slams will still be won by the big 4. Sure they've been less consistent lately, but the non-big 4's tend to have very short peaks despite a high peak performance.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Tsonga and Wawrinka have now won two Masters 1000 Titles between them, Stan has also won a slam this year. Can we now assume that the big four is now more fragile than ever and that the grip is now being loosened up in the Masters 1000 events and the slams? Will this trend continue?
Has the GOAT played this tournament? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
There never was a big 4. It was a big2 since about 2010, a big3 from mid 2012 to mid 2013 when Murray made 4 of 5 slam finals, and back to big2 since his back surgery.

·
Registered
58 Posts
People are nuts if they think a Big 4 never existed:

Since 2009: (6 seasons and counting)
Federer: 7 ATP1000, 2 GS
Nadal: 15 ATP1000, 9 GS
Djokovic: 15 ATP1000, 6 GS
Murray: 7 ATP1000, 2 GS

ALL others: 6 ATP1000, 2 GS

It's blatantly obvious that the "Big 4" have dominated the sport (ATP1000, and GS) for the past 6 years. Sure, Nadal and Djokovic are a level ahead of the Fed and Murray, but both Federer and Murray have each won more ATP1000 titles in the last 6 years than everyone not in the Big 4 combined.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
yeah, 100%

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Big 4 was already over last year with Roger with bad season and Murray bad post-Wimby loosing early summer HC Masters and than to Stan ad USO and injured rest of the year. Actually this year i would say it´s not worse than last year, Nole and Rafa are top 2 like last few years, but Roger is solid 3 and Murray with worst season in years - just like Roger had 2013 this 2014 is Murray´s worst season in years, but still it´s not like they are out of the picture, let´s ee who wins USO and WTF - i think it will be big 4 both i think Nole will win and other can go far like Roger WTF F maybe, Rafa USO F maybe, so Big 4 is still here but times when they were all in SF are over - particularly thanks to fact they are not anymore 1-4 in ranking and some of them are weaker, this year Murray, last year Roger

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
There was a big four? :confused: This is news to me.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
In terms of ranking and wins yes.

But for those who say Big4 never existed your nuts.
They held the top4 spots for years and only injuries gave another chance to a few mugs. Ferrer never deserved top3 status, but he was regular at the time.

But Federers decline since Wimby12 and Andy´s lack of wins this last year has cut the big 4 into the big 2.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I really hope so. It was so nice to see Stanimal winning a slam. But until 2 more slams are taken by someone other than the big 4 I am not so sure. Stan might have been a 1 time thing like Delpo back in 09.

I want to see ANY youngster winning ANY two SLAMS in the 2 years. Someone under say 25.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I really hope so. It was so nice to see Stanimal winning a slam. But until 2 more slams are taken by someone other than the big 4 I am not so sure. Stan might have been a 1 time thing like Delpo back in 09.

I want to see ANY youngster winning ANY two SLAMS in the 2 years. Someone under say 25.
It might be progress if anybody under 25 could even win a Masters.

·
23,063 Posts
A Big Four member still reached a Final in Toronto -- they are in the period of Regression (says Wikipedia :p) but the official stop of the Big Four era IMO is when none of them are in the Finals of a Slam or Masters tournament.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts