Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t know whether its right to compare Agassi with Davydenko. But I’m just curious to know what others think about Kolya.

I haven’t seen much of Agassi though. Only started watching Agassi fag end of his career.

The reason why I compare them is, I see lot of similarities between Davydenko and Agaasi game. Both take the ball early and have great ground game.

Agaasi had two advantages over Kolya: Agassi had bit extra power in his ground strokes, also Agassi had great charisma where kolya didn’t have anything.

Agassi played great tennis over a long period, where as Kolya played his best only short time during 2009/2010.

My question is:

- Why didn’t kolya do any notable achievement in GS compare to Agassi?

- Can the peak Davydenko match Agassi? :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well he was robbed at RG 2005 by a doper. He could have reached the final had Puerta not doped.

At the other slams, he was unlucky to face Federer. At AO 2006 and 2010 he was in great form but could not get past Roger. He also reached 3 more slam semis after RG 2005. Lost all of them to Federer.

Fed played a big part in Davy's failures in the slams when he was in good form.

As for him vs Agassi i saw only 1 match between the 2 at the Masters Cup 2005. Davy won. The match was very enjoyable to watch

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well he was robbed at RG 2005 by a doper. He could have reached the final had Puerta not doped.

At the other slams, he was unlucky to face Federer. At AO 2006 and 2010 he was in great form but could not get past Roger. He also reached 3 more slam semis after RG 2005. Lost all of them to Federer.

Fed played a big part in Davy's failures in the slams when he was in good form.
Yeah. It was unfortunate for Davy. Whenever he played well in GS, his run was ended by Federer. Federer matches up well with Davy. Also, Federer had mental edge over Davy.

My question is not related Davy vs Agassi Head-Head. I just want to know can we compare Davydenko along with the Legend Agassi... game wise? :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yeah. It was unfortunate for Davy. Whenever he played well in GS, his run was ended by Federer. Federer matches up well with Davy. Also, Federer had mental edge over Davy.

My question is not related Davy vs Agassi Head-Head. I just want to know can we compare Davydenko along with the Legend Agassi... game wise? :)
Game wise they are similar, with a slight edge to Andre.

Mentally there are worlds apart. Agassi >>>> Davy mentally

·
Registered
623 Posts
Agassi also had a level of fitness/strength that Kolya did not. He was able to grind out some matches that were more difficult for Kolya. But both hit the ball amazingly well at their best.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I think the main Difference why Agassi is better then Denko is the Serve , as simple as that. Davy's serve was neither a weapon nor a realiable shot.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
Agassi of course had a longer stretch at the top too - Davydenko's was essentially ended when he was 28 with that wrist injury, when he was playing the best tennis of his career. Agassi at that age was still to discover the fountain of infinite youth *cough*, and so had plenty more chances.

·
Your visions will happen
47,128 Posts
Agassi's serve was better, yes, as someone said above, and he also brought a level of athleticism and strength that Davydenko did not. Probably Kolya was a little bit quicker, but not too much, and Andre's power more than made up for that.

Peak Davydenko, in the 90's, probably would have had a nice Kafelnikov career, 2 slams, couple weeks at #1.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Agassi was considered the next big thing at the age of 16 and a prolific ballstriker, while Davydenko was never considered to be one of all time greats. :shrug:

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
Ball-striking wise, they are certainly comparable. Davydenko's peak baseline game was something to behold.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Andre was the best basher ever, cant see any similarity with The Android tbh.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Ball-striking wise, they are certainly comparable. Davydenko's peak baseline game was something to behold.
Denko was a great baseliner, but Andre was way beyond him in terms of power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts