Mens Tennis Forums banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
17,234 Posts
Dont watch snooker so don't know. Snooker - now thats a rich man's sport.

·
WOAT Predictor
2,703 Posts
O' Sullivan is the greatest sportsmen of the last 20-30 years. Nobody comes close. I feel sorry for people that never followed his career closely. You could put the best defensive players in the World against him and he would just bludgeon through the defences and clear up again, and again and again. Let's not forget he missed most of his prime years due to mental illness and his off the table problems (drugs, his dad's imprisonment for murder etc etc). He beat the former GOAT in a major final in 1993 and won his last major in 2020.
I would also say that snooker is the hardest sport. You can do nothing when your opponent is on the table. You can make no mistakes and be in your chair for hours.
Stuart Bingham is more talented than O'Sullivan

·
Premium Member
9,340 Posts
Snooker players are normally post prime at that age. O'Sullivan was still scoring big wins against Selby in his 40s. It's a complete mismatch anyway: O'Sullivan beats Selby on every single significant snooker metric. A lot of these achieved in Selby's peak and O'Sullivan's dotage. Davis would be a better Djokovic archetype or J Higgins.
I agree that Ronnie was scoring big wins over Selby. He beat him last year in the world championship semi final. But Selby was also scoring big wins over Ronnie.

Ronnie is the GOAT. His longevity is comparable to that of Ken Rosewall's. He won his first ranking title in 1993 and most recent in 2020. And he lost five ranking finals last season. Other great champions like Davis and Hendry dominated for a certain period and they then proceeded to fade away. Davis dominated the 80s but did nothing much afterwards. Hendry dominated the 90s but achieved nothing of note afterwards. While you can say that Ronnie never quite dominated the game in the short period of time like Davis and Hendry did, his longevity is unmatched and that is why he is the GOAT.

·
Premium Member
9,340 Posts

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Snooker - now thats a rich man's sport.
lmao are you kidding? has to be up there with most middle/lower class background players together with football. Go look up a piece on Ken Doherty's upbringing from a few months ago. Selby too had very difficult times with his father passing away, I'm talking money-wise besides the trauma of course.
Some pros even have a second job like Dominic Dale.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I was watching Ronnie-Selby 2020 SF and i Of course Novak is far more sympathetic and likeable charaster than Selby.
Your comparison in op and this comment make me think you don't follow snooker as much as tennis.
ROS is usually the 'villain' in the rivarly, tho of course snooker fans love him. In your comparison that would be Federer lmao.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Stuart Bingham is more talented than O'Sullivan
Tell me you know nothing about snooker without telling me you know nothing about snooker. Djokovic is 3% as talented as O'Sullivan for future reference.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Dont watch snooker so don't know. Snooker - now thats a rich man's sport.
It's the opposite. It's a pub sport that originated from the working classes.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I agree that Ronnie was scoring big wins over Selby. He beat him last year in the world championship semi final. But Selby was also scoring big wins over Ronnie.

Ronnie is the GOAT. His longevity is comparable to that of Ken Rosewall's. He won his first ranking title in 1993 and most recent in 2020. And he lost five ranking finals last season. Other great champions like Davis and Hendry dominated for a certain period and they then proceeded to fade away. Davis dominated the 80s but did nothing much afterwards. Hendry dominated the 90s but achieved nothing of note afterwards. While you can say that Ronnie never quite dominated the game in the short period of time like Davis and Hendry did, his longevity is unmatched and that is why he is the GOAT.
O'Sullivan missed large swathes of his prime years due to off the table issues. The only player to really test O'Sullivan during his prime years was Higgins who is an ATG and excellent at every facet of the game. The rest were just making the numbers up when Ronnie fancied it. To put O'Sullivan into context: he won most of his big titles when he was past his best. Many were won when he just turned up - e.g. the World Championship he won when he didn't play for a year. In my lifetime there has been no sportsman anywhere near his talent level.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Bingham is the only player ever to make 147 for 4 years in a row.
Bye.
O' Sullivan has more 147s than anyone in history and the fastest 147 in history. It became so easy for him that he'd ask the referee what the prize money was for a 147 and, if it wasn't enough, leave the last black on the table or pot the last pink instead. Hello.

·
Registered
17,234 Posts
It's expensive to go to pubs in India. Going to the pub in India is analogous to going to a theater to watch a movie in the west.

In India the working classes(middle or upper middle) may go to the pub once or twice a week max. It's not like in the west where after a hard day's work you make an obligatory pitstop in the pub.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
It's expensive to go to pubs in India. Going to the pub in India is analogous to going to a theater to watch a movie in the west.
It's the opposite here. It's a place designed and frequented by the working classes. There are certain games that are played there: pool, snooker, darts, dominos, cards, quizzes, bandits, televised sports etc. There are also working men's clubs and Miners Welfares etc that were put in place around areas of working class work e.g. mines, factories etc. These places often have their own teams for the above sports, and outdoor sports such as football (soccer) or rugby fishing etc.

We also have snooker/pool clubs which are just places full of snooker tables with a bar and maybe a few screens showing sports. I used to frequent one when I should have been school sometimes. It cost £3.60 all day, which is about the price of a sandwich here.

Reactions: monfed

·
Registered
17,234 Posts
It's the opposite here. It's a place designed and frequented by the working classes. There are certain games that are played there: pool, snooker, darts, dominos, cards, quizzes, bandits, televised sports etc. There are also working men's clubs and Miners Welfares etc that were put in place around areas of working class work e.g. mines, factories etc. These places often have their own teams for the above sports, and outdoor sports such as football (soccer) or rugby fishing etc.

We also have snooker/pool clubs which are just places full of snooker tables with maybe a bar and a few screens showing sports. I used to frequent one when I should have been school sometimes. It cost £3.60 all day, which is about the price of a sandwich here.
Looks like I'll have to start my immigration process to the UK soon. ;)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I have to admit the thought had crossed my mind - and Selby's face reminds me of Djokovic vaguely, too. However, statistics say O'Sullivan is the better player by some margin - which is clearly not the case with Fraud vs. Faker. If there was ever a legitimate case to be made for GOAThood in any sport, O'sullivan would be in the mix, for sure.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Federer - O’Sullivan.. yes, it does make sense. Both are naturals among naturals. The other two maybe closer to perfection, but not as watchable.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It is expensive if you want to go places now though, I was a very good junior here in the UK, when I was 11 I reached the final of the biggest tournament we have here for our age group, aside from my 1st time when I was 8 I reached at least the QF's every time I went for 7 years straight, won my region's U18 tour when I was 17 and even beat Mark Williams in an exhibition frame when I was 12, there's also 2 current tour card holders in Farakh Ajaib + Sean Maddocks who I played plenty of times years back and I beat both of them every single time.

We just couldn't afford all the gallivanting around all over England for the EASB tournaments though, driving from Manchester to near Newcastle or down to Gloucester then back again would have been an expense my family couldn't afford and even if we could have done it would have been unfair asking my step-dad or grandad to drive all that way in a single day, the last EASB event I played in was in Leeds where I lost in the QF's and even that was around 9PM when we left after starting at 10AM.

You'll struggle to find many working class players coming through in the future, even pre-professional level the money required to continually pay the entry fees, put petrol in the car to get there + back and stay at the venues all day with food + drinks if you do well is just something no working class family can afford on a consistent basis.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
It is expensive if you want to go places now though, I was a very good junior here in the UK, when I was 11 I reached the final of the biggest tournament we have here for our age group, aside from my 1st time when I was 8 I reached at least the QF's every time I went for 7 years straight, won my region's U18 tour when I was 17 and even beat Mark Williams in an exhibition frame when I was 12, there's also 2 current tour card holders in Farakh Ajaib + Sean Maddocks who I played plenty of times years back and I beat both of them every single time.

We just couldn't afford all the gallivanting around all over England for the EASB tournaments though, driving from Manchester to near Newcastle or down to Gloucester then back again would have been an expense my family couldn't afford and even if we could have done it would have been unfair asking my step-dad or grandad to drive all that way in a single day, the last EASB event I played in was in Leeds where I lost in the QF's and even that was around 9PM when we left after starting at 10AM.

You'll struggle to find many working class players coming through in the future, even pre-professional level the money required to continually pay the entry fees, put petrol in the car to get there + back and stay at the venues all day with food + drinks if you do well is just something no working class family can afford on a consistent basis.
Yes, but that's the case with practically any sport. You can become an accomplished amateur snooker player without much money at all, just by playing on the local and regional circuit and doing a bit of hustling. I can only really think of boxing that is cheaper from the sports I participated in at a decent level. The outdoor sports are very expensive when you reach any type of prominence - unless you get picked up by an academy or association e.g. the LTA. I play snooker three times a week and it costs me about a tenner plus my bar tab, which is very reasonable for a working class sporting pursuit. A lot less than what I pay to play tennis, golf and football for example. Traditionally, most pros and semi pros come from the working classes in snooker for that reason. Pretty much all sports have an affordability bar to working class entryism when you have surpassed the regional level, which is what it sounds like you suffered from. In my experience it's the day to day cost of living rather than the cost of the sport per se. But aren't the working classes excluded from entertainment and travel as a general rule in the UK? I know I was.

I do think the Hearns are turning snooker into more of a closed shop though: somewhat paradoxically, they are aiming to widen global participation whilst seemingly making snooker more exclusive for indigenous Brits. You only have to look at the ticket prices to attend the World Championships these days to see who they are aiming to cater for. It used to be packed full of working class people who payed less than what it cost them to watch United or Wednesday; not anymore.
A lot of pubs and clubs have shut down as a result of the global recession in 08, the global pandemic recently, and the tied pub bollocks of the last decade or so that strangled the pub industry. This has resulted in a massive loss of affordable venues for a lot of working class pursuits - for pretty much all forms of entertainment. When a snooker venue goes it never gets replaced in my experience; and I'm from Sheffield. This, in my view, is the biggest thing threatening snooker amongst the working classes.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts