Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching Ronnie-Selby 2020 SF and i couldn t miss the similarities between the pairs-Federer-like Ronnie is genious,plays attacking witha lot of imagination and beauty while Djokovic and Selby are both players with great defence ,logical,methodical and practical.Of course Novak is far more sympathetic and likeable charaster than Selby.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I'm not sure Federer goes around calling fans that follow the sport boring like O'Sullivan does, or after a defeat, basically says he couldn't be bothered showing up.

In terms of their respective games, sure. They're both geniuses with a god-given talent at what they do on the table/court.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
No; as great as Federer is he is nowhere near the level O'Sullivan is at his sport. Selby couldn't get near him until he was ancient.

·
Premium Member
9,347 Posts
No; as great as Federer is he is nowhere near the level O'Sullivan is at his sport. Selby couldn't get near him until he was ancient.
Selby was beating O'Sullivan back in 2008. Ronnie wasn't ancient surely in 2008.

Reactions: George Stobbart

·
Premium Member
9,347 Posts
Of course Novak is far more sympathetic and likeable charaster than Selby.
Selby is a likeable family man. Not sure why he gets the hate he gets.

·
Premium Member
9,347 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,347 Posts
I see similarities between O'Sullivan and Federer's games and Selby and Djokovic's games. But O'Sullivan is still capable of beating Selby in big matches as he showed in last year's world snooker championship semi final. On the other hand, Federer hasn't been able to beat Djokovic in a big match in years.

·
Premium Member
9,347 Posts

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Selby was beating O'Sullivan back in 2008. Ronnie wasn't ancient surely in 2008.
Snooker players are normally post prime at that age. O'Sullivan was still scoring big wins against Selby in his 40s. It's a complete mismatch anyway: O'Sullivan beats Selby on every single significant snooker metric. A lot of these achieved in Selby's peak and O'Sullivan's dotage. Davis would be a better Djokovic archetype or J Higgins.

Reactions: Nortius Maximus

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
It is mostly popular in countries like United Kingdom, China.
I guess China is currently 2nd best in the rankings if you count UK as a single country, but I don't think it's actually very popular here, there was just a boom in parents letting their kids train professionally in inspiration of Ding Junhui's success. UK is still much better in top players and tradition.

Reactions: Waz

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
Even Ronnie's snookers,which he claims he's not good at are still enough to flummox Selby in big moments.... and Selby loves going there.Look no further than their last frame in last years World Championships.

I do see the slight comparison that the OP is trying to bring up though.

Federer is more of a Jimmy White with his matchpoint/s choking year after year to White's choking in World Snooker Finals.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
I guess China is currently 2nd best in the rankings if you count UK as a single country, but I don't think it's actually very popular here, there was just a boom in parents letting their kids train professionally in inspiration of Ding Junhui's success. UK is still much better in top players and tradition.
There is a lot of Chinese players and players from that part of the world generally. They are coming through into the Pro ranks in larger volume than British players. A lot of them live in my home city Sheffield (home of the World Championship).

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Even Ronnie's snookers,which he claims he's not good at are still enough to flummox Selby in big moments.... and Selby loves going there.Look no further than their last frame in last years World Championships.

I do see the slight comparison that the OP is trying to bring up though.

Federer is more of a Jimmy White with his matchpoint/s choking year after year to White's choking in World Snooker Finals.
O' Sullivan is the greatest sportsmen of the last 20-30 years. Nobody comes close. I feel sorry for people that never followed his career closely. You could put the best defensive players in the World against him and he would just bludgeon through the defences and clear up again, and again and again. Let's not forget he missed most of his prime years due to mental illness and his off the table problems (drugs, his dad's imprisonment for murder etc etc). He beat the former GOAT in a major final in 1993 and won his last major in 2020.
I would also say that snooker is the hardest sport. You can do nothing when your opponent is on the table. You can make no mistakes and be in your chair for hours.

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
There is a lot of Chinese players and players from that part of the world generally. They are coming through into the Pro ranks in larger volume than British players. A lot of them live in my home city Sheffield (home of the World Championship).
Yeah, I know about that, but snooker is still not really popular here, it's just a good option for parents to gamble on because of the prize money. Most casual fans only heard of it because of Ding Junhui, it's incomparable to the attention on table tennis and badminton. People do play pool recreationally, but I doubt many know the rules of snooker. Even tennis has much more fans and people participating in everyday life here, despite poor professional performance.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts