Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
King Of Tennis
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The US Open* aka Asterisk Open. I don't even hate Zverev, but you know it's a joke when he of all people makes a slam final with his record in the biggest events. That's because it isn't a real slam, it's a 500 at best. Carena Busto is the highest ranked opponent he needed to face to reach the final, 27 in the world, and he needed five sets. Federer/Nadal didn't even play (can't blame them, in retrospect it was the right choice so I'll admit for once King was wrong to show up here) and King got rigged out of the tournament thanks to some corrupt officials and a lineswoman who probably got paid off to put on that performance, let's be real here. The biggest tennis stadium in the world will be empty at this final due to the pandemic (as if that cringe fake crowd noise adds any genuine atmosphere) but would anyone pay to watch this garbage anyway?

I always thought Roland Garros was the worst slam but now I think I might have to change my mind and it's the US Open* after these events.

Discuss.

·
King Of Tennis
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh and I forgot to add the godawful TV viewership. I thought people said the empty stadiums don't matter because most people in the world are watching it on TV anyway? What happened to that theory?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Oh and I forgot to add the godawful TV viewership. I thought people said the empty stadiums don't matter because most people in the world are watching it on TV anyway? What happened to that theory?
still holds true (obviously most people are watching on tv versus in person) despite lower ratings

i’d be surprised if ratings for other sports weren’t also down

and obviously no Federer or Nadal was always going to affect ratings and interest

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Too many Fedalbots here that would say: **** it if Novak wins but oh, wait, since he’s been DQ’d, do a 180 & bingo, it’s a fully legit. GS. Certainly an incompetently run tourn. w/ hasty, biased unprofessional decisions.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I said consistently before the tournament that it would be total rubbish without crowds. I've watched one or two highlight videos, I couldn't care less about it.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
That lady should not have gotten in the way of Djokovic's ball and the wall. She jumped out of nowhere and timed the placement of her throat to the ball to perfection, ruining the entire event.

I agree, it's a flop.

·
Your visions will happen
48,094 Posts
Fakertard in ruins LoL
Yes it is desperate but also admirable the lengths one goes to defend their guy

USO is legit, it counts, Djokovic has only himself to blame for not taking a golden chance

·
Registered
364 Posts
The US Open* aka Asterisk Open. I don't even hate Zverev, but you know it's a joke when he of all people makes a slam final with his record in the biggest events. That's because it isn't a real slam, it's a 500 at best. Carena Busto is the highest ranked opponent he needed to face to reach the final, 27 in the world, and he needed five sets. Federer/Nadal didn't even play (can't blame them, in retrospect it was the right choice so I'll admit for once King was wrong to show up here) and King got rigged out of the tournament thanks to some corrupt officials and a lineswoman who probably got paid off to put on that performance, let's be real here. The biggest tennis stadium in the world will be empty at this final due to the pandemic (as if that cringe fake crowd noise adds any genuine atmosphere) but would anyone pay to watch this garbage anyway?

I always thought Roland Garros was the worst slam but now I think I might have to change my mind and it's the US Open* after these events.

Discuss.
This year's US Open has been the greatest open era slam. We have had great victories of a technical, tactical and physical profundity that we could only dream of in previous events. Take PCB's victory over Djokovic: he dominated the baseline winning the vast majority of the longer baseline rallies (check stats) forcing the tournament favourite and world number one into a monumental mental deterioration as he understood fully that he couldn't win against the inspired PCB. Cause and effect baby. That was a performance for the ages! PCB's biggest fan couldn't dream of him dismissing Djoker in that timeframe. That the turning point happened at 0-40 on PCB's serve added an ironic twist to this most delicious of cocktails.
The Tsitsipas vs Coric match was best slam match in several years. A beautiful contrast in styles; another phenomenal choke; all in all a match that will stay long in the memory. I could go on and on about all the great matches and the historically high levels of tennis from this USO 2020 - but you get the point.
This overwhelming happiness with the tournament could be completely undermined however. If Zverev wins a slam this tournament will go down in infamy. Right now it feels like tennis and humanity is holding its collective breath as we await the final. It's as if we are on the precipice of a war or nuclear bomb attack. We are Frodo freshly delivered from the tranquil, picturesque Shire - in Bree for the first time. The ringwraiths are banging on the gate to Bree and we are realising that the world could become a very dark place. "Maybe the bad characters in our tennis life in our equivalent of the Shire weren't so bad" we say to ourselves? "Maybe Djoker winning the USO against zero competition in the weakest era of all time wasn't the end of the world"?

If - and I can't underline that word enough - Zverev wins this slam, I may admit that tennis would be in a better place if Djokovic would have won that match against PCB. "If"...

*In this eventuality I may even lobby the ATP to allow players to hit line judges with balls

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,053 Posts
This year's US Open has been the greatest open era slam. We have had great victories of a technical, tactical and physical profundity that we could only dream of in previous events. Take PCB's victory over Djokovic: he dominated the baseline winning the vast majority of the longer baseline rallies (check stats) forcing the tournament favourite and world number one into a monumental mental deterioration as he understood fully that he couldn't win against the inspired PCB. Cause and effect baby. That was a performance for the ages! PCB's biggest fan couldn't dream of him dismissing Djoker in that timeframe. That the turning point happened at 40-0 on Djoker's serve added an ironic twist to this most delicious of cocktails.
The Tsitsipas vs Coric match was best slam match in several years. A beautiful contrast in styles; another phenomenal choke; all in all a match that will stay long in the memory. I could go on and on about all the great matches and the historically high levels of tennis from this USO 2020 - but you get the point.
This overwhelming happiness with the tournament could be completely undermined however. If Zverev wins a slam this tournament will go down in infamy. Right now it feels like tennis and humanity is holding its collective breath as we await the final. It's as if we are on the precipice of a war or nuclear bomb attack. We are Frodo freshly delivered from the tranquil, picturesque Shire - in Bree for the first time. The ringwraiths are banging on the gate to Bree and we are realising that the world could become a very dark place. "Maybe the bad characters in our tennis life in our equivalent of the Shire weren't so bad" we say to ourselves? "Maybe Djoker winning the USO against zero competition in the weakest era of all time wasn't the end of the world"?

If - and I can't underline that word enough - Zverev wins this slam, I may admit that tennis would be in a better place if Djokovic would have won that match against PCB. "If"...

*In this eventuality I may even lobby the ATP to allow players to hit line judges with balls
You are rather charitable with your hyperbole but something tells me you're also serious about this. In any event most of the participants took the tournament seriously enough. The last paragraph does ring true. The most in form player this event is Dominic Thiem and I really hope it would be 4th time lucky for him. Regardless of the difficult circumstances surrounding this tournament, it would be a great finish to the event and legitimate at that. I only wish there would have been a crowd to witness that moment.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You are rather charitable with your hyperbole but something tells me you're also serious about this. In any event most of the participants took the tournament seriously enough. The last paragraph does ring true. The most in form player this event is Dominic Thiem and I really hope it would be 4th time lucky for him. Regardless of the difficult circumstances surrounding this tournament, it would be a great finish to the event and legitimate at that. I only wish there would have been a crowd to witness that moment.
Deadly serious mate.I'm not a massive Thiem fan either; but he has done the hard yards, brought some entertaining tennis and upset the elite over a considerable period of time. If Zverev wins and it brings forth a Zverev era (shudders), or a Zverev and players with a similar game style to Zverev era (projectile vomits) the sport will be in ruins for a long time. Maybe I'm overreacting...

·
justice for all
14,363 Posts
Keep crying, fangirl. Your tears are so sweet.
Every time, you Vulturovic fans, bring this subject up I’ll keep reminding you of this great moment in time when Pablo Carreno Busta defeated Defaultovic who ridiculed himself in front of millions of people around the world.
Enjoy and stay tuned. More heartbreaking losses for Novak are coming up soon.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
The ladies tournament wasn't a flop. It was the first Slam since a long time where the women's tournament was better and more interesting than the men's tournament.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Every time, you Vulturovic fans, bring this subject up I’ll keep reminding you of this great moment in time when Pablo Carreno Busta defeated Defaultovic who ridiculed himself in front of millions of people around the world.

View attachment 356578
Beautiful post mate, but please ensure you remind them it was from 0-40 up on PCB's serve. That's worse than losing your serve from 40-15 right?

Reactions: guitarra

·
Registered
21,523 Posts

View attachment 356578
"Vulturovic" or a man who simply makes his own decisions?

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,053 Posts
Deadly serious mate.I'm not a massive Thiem fan either; but he has done the hard yards, brought some entertaining tennis and upset the elite over a considerable period of time. If Zverev wins and it brings forth a Zverev era (shudders), or a Zverev and players with a similar game style to Zverev era (projectile vomits) the sport will be in ruins for a long time. Maybe I'm overreacting...
I've watched Thiem since 2014 and you can see the steady improvements he's made to his game. I was very impressed by how he handled himself against Medvedev who is one of the most annoying players to face because of his absorptive game style. Then we talk about Zverev. Zverev, the problem is despite his better slam results I cannot really say he has improved all that much, and perhaps even regressed gamewise. His first serve can be quite effective leveraging his height, but his average level is mediocre and even an eyesore to watch. I remember watching him play in Hamburg last year, some of the most passive tennis I've seen from a top player, and he damn nearly made the final with that level. Of course as you say "Zverev era"...that could be a double edged sword. If Zverev somehow manages to beat Thiem (probably helped by opponent in that case), there could be the side effect of the guy getting too cocky while not having fixed crucial issues with his game. If his hunger to improve his game to follow up on results, he will simply stagnate. Slam win or not, it won't help him progress. As a parallel example in the women's game, Ostapenko's early win at RG didn't exactly cement her as a champion for the ages. She can still improve but because she a major success early, many elements of her game not developed came back to bite her later on. On the other hand, Halep not being successful in those major finals probably helped her become a better and more resilient player which she may not have thought needing improvement had she not lost. I see the same thing going on with Thiem in this event, though his reasons for coming up short are of a different nature and very understandable. Fingers crossed that he will be rewarded for his hard work and persistence.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts