Mens Tennis Forums banner

Do you agree that at this point in time there is no clear GOAT?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the Big 3 were to retire tomorrow, no one would be able to definitively say who the GOAT is. Fans of each player would make their case why their favourite is the GOAT but no one would be swayed. It's too close to call, which is the reason for the incessant debating.

By the time all 3 retire there probably will be a GOAT that almost everyone will agree on. A lot can happen in 3-5 years, many slams can be won, current records can be extended and others broken. But for now, it's impossible to say and only bias leads the way.

·
Registered
68,521 Posts
it´s roger

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
prior to RG 2020 there was NO GOAT. and now there's no goat. after AO 2021 - tHeRe'S No gOaT!

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
The only thing we can agree is that Nolemort is out of the equation. As for Fedal, I agree, depends on the eyes of the beholder

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I agree. These three guys are so far above everybody else in the open era and they've all racked up their ridiculous records by facing each other. Not only that, but all three have records where they're untouchable in addition to having certain holes (albeit relatively minor) in their resumes.

At this point in time, all three have legitimate claims to being GOAT, and I can't really see that changing. Ergo, there is no, and is unlikely to be an undisputed GOAT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I created a similar topic today on the forum but it is pending approval... Anyway,

I also think there will never be clear-cut GOAT to talk about. There will always be discussions about who's the GOAT (if there's even such a thing; many people would argue there isn't), but that's it. All of these three guys have racked up records that the other two (from the Big 3) are missing, being it slam count, masters 1000 titles, weeks at #1, H2H, etc. so, in a way, anyone can easily make a case for any of these guys.

As someone said, only when Fed, Rafa and Nole end their respective careers we can start talking about this. But, again, these guys are so great, each in their own right, and have so many achievements that proclaiming one of them as "the GOAT" would be disrespectful to the other two (not to mention all the other tennis greats that came before).

·
Registered
178 Posts
By the time all 3 retire there probably will be a GOAT that almost everyone will agree on. A lot can happen in 3-5 years, many slams can be won, current records can be extended and others broken. But for now, it's impossible to say and only bias leads the way.
Agreed. The constant GOAT bickering is so tiresome and frankly boring.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
There are two co-goats currently, and the moment Nadal amasses two slams more than Federer, Nadal will be a solo goat, or just one slam more + another y.e. no.1 + 40-50 weeks more (if Federer doesn't add more weeks and y.e. no.1's to his resume).

Djokovic could be the most successful Fedalovic hands down, but just as Federer, Djokovic could not be co-goat with two slam titles less than Nadal.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Who cares. We can agree about one thing though, the "NO GOAT" fable will be wildy supported by the same fanbase that tiressly paraded the badge for more than a decade. Mark my words.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Who cares. We can agree about one thing though, the "NO GOAT" fable will be wildy supported by the same fanbase that tiressly paraded the badge for more than a decade. Mark my words.
I guarantee that if Nadal ends on 20 slams and either Federer or Djokovic get to 22, most of your fanbase will do the same as well.

Reactions: Dull

·
Registered
417 Posts
Even at the end of their carreers the situation might be the same. Because even if the "most effective player of all time" can be determined, the "greatest" is more subjective, it contains a dimension that goes beyond numbers and that is about the aura a player has (playstyle, personality, importance in the history of the game...). And the debate will go on forever.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I guarantee that if Nadal ends on 20 slams and either Federer or Djokovic get to 22, most of your fanbase will do the same as well.
I don't have a fanbase. It's Nadal's fanbase you're referring to. We're not one collective mind. This isn't Fedtardism.

Look, I don't deny or advocate the idea of GOAT. I have my own preference. But I don't think I've ever encountered a Federer fan who didn't claim Federer was GOAT. Up until the records started to crumble anyways. Now the narrative is taking a massive turn.

If vast majority of Nadal's fans didn't deny the GOAT concept when Nadal was playing catch up for more than a decade why would they suddenly do that if Federer or Djokovic reach 22?

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a Nole fan, I'm pretty sure that vast majority of people will consider Federer as the GOAT. Just like vast majority of people consider Michael Jordan as a basketball GOAT or Muhamed Ali as boxing GOAT. I think there is no GOAT and never will be. There will only be discussions on forums like these.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Even at the end of their carreers the situation might be the same. Because even if the "most effective player of all time" can be determined, the "greatest" is more subjective, it contains a dimension that goes beyond numbers and that is about the aura a player has (playstyle, personality, importance in the history of the game...). And the debate will go on forever.
No, Goat has got nothing to do with those characteristics.

Goat doesn't need to be among the top 3 most popular players ever, or to be among top 3 most important players in the history of the game, among most charismatic players, with the biggest aura etc.

It is all about the slams and longevity now, because it is pretty hard to amass 20+ slams and enough weeks, masters etc. with "just" ten seasons of domination (unless they introduce the fifth slam).

34 y.o. Nadal has amassed 20 slam titles two years earlier than Federer.

There could be some future prodigy with 20 slams by his 30th birthday (if there was no another goat candidate or couple of ATG's around), but he still couldn't be the Goat if there were former players with 22+ slams and with more weeks, masters etc. but he could still be a goat by the certain age i.e. 30th birthday.

Djokovic e.g. is arguably Goat-33 because by the 33rd birthday Fedalovic have amassed 17 slams each but Djokovic has amassed more finals & semis as well as considerably more big titles (masters + WTF's) and the same number of y.e. no.1's as Federer.

Personally I'd rather have Federer's resume (20/21 slams, 6 WTF, 310 weeks) than Nadal's (22-25 slams), because Federer is still greater HC/Grass/Indoor player.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts