Mens Tennis Forums banner

Can Tsonga put an end to the 25 year malediction of French tennis??

• Yes

Votes: 37 56.9%
  • No

Votes: 28 43.1%
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been 25 years since a french player has won a GS(the last one being Noah) and we (at least me) expected Gasquet to put an end to this malediction one day.....but now Tsonga has,in my opinion, a strong chance to do that instead of him!:eek:

He can definitely win the AO now.

·
Registered
35,682 Posts
Of course he "can"

But it will be very hard, playing against one of the two best players in the world.

Good luck to him.

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
Yes, he has a huge chance. The match Djokovic-Federer should be long (I suppose more than 3 hours match) and Tsonga has a day off, never played against tomorrows' semifinalists so they haven't got mental advantage over Tsonga. There are very favorable circumstances.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It's been 25 years since a french player has won a GS(the last one being Noah) and we (at least me) expected Gasquet to put an end to this malediction one day.....but now Tsonga has,in my opinion, a strong chance to do that instead of him!:eek:

He can definitely win the AO now.
Tsonga obviously played a great match today, Nadal was totally knocked out by the French's strenght.
However, maybe Nadal has a type of game that doesn't cause a lot of trouble to Jo-Wilfried. Who knows if he'll be able to play that good against Federer or Djokovic who both play tennis very differently than Rafael.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I think Tsonga should cheer for Djokovic.

Federer will hit with a varity of different spins and always give Tsonga something different to look at. Also, Tsonga won't be in control of the points like he was today. Federer is very good at beating players on 'hot streaks'.

However, If Djoko makes it to the final (he has a very solid game, definatley could beat Fed if he's not 100%) Tsonga may overpower him.

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
^ Agree. Tsonga's chances against D'Joke are bigger :)

Five Frenchmen have advanced to Grand Slam finals in the Open Era with Yannick Noah at 1983 Roland Garros, the only one to go on to win the title.
The others were:
Patrick Proisy (Roland Garros 1972)
Henri Leconte (Roland Garros 1988)
Cedric Pioline (US Open 1993 and Wimbledon 1997)
Arnaud Clement (Australian Open 2001)

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts

Five Frenchmen have advanced to Grand Slam finals in the Open Era with Yannick Noah at 1983 Roland Garros, the only one to go on to win the title.
The others were:
Agreed.

Unless he's able to do a Tipsarevic and land a lot of heavy blows early in the point. I think he'd struggle if Federer was allowed to take charge of rallies.

·
Registered
158 Posts
well now he's made it to the final, anything is possible.
personally, i hope he does. it would make for a fitting end to a quite remarkable story for Tsonga at the AO :)

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
One of the things Tsonga does have going for him is the great hands at the net.

If he can get in and take the initiative away from either Federer or Djokovic, it could really help him on his way.

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
Agree. Tsonga's chances against D'Joke are bigger :)
Probably, I am making a fool out of myself :eek:, but I just feel the opposite.

If Tsonga approches the final like he did all his other matches with no fear and a lot of confidence, I feel it will be easier to make Roger doubt than Djokovic.

If he gets overwhelmed by the occasion, he will lose to both, Roger/Djokovic, and rather easily.

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
The thing will be his nerves.

Sure they've been like steel so far but this isn't just his first slam final, it's his first ATP level final.

Could they at last come into play?

·
Registered
158 Posts
The thing will be his nerves.

Sure they've been like steel so far but this isn't just his first slam final, it's his first ATP level final.

Could they at last come into play?
nerves are a definite unknown factor, but i thought they'd come into play today and they quite clearly didn't so who knows on Sunday....?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I think he can. The last French player with a real opportunity was Leconte in 88. The guy was able to play at a very high level on a good day but was often off. Pioline and Clement had straight set defeat written on the wall on each final. Good players but limited and Agassi/Sampras were on the opposite side of the net.

Tsonga can play at a very very very high level. He's on fire. I hope he will seize the moment, I feared he would show nervousness against Nadal, but no, so there is hope. Of course, it's his first ATP final, so I would say that this is too big too fast for him, but he has surprised us many times already.

He has a better chance against Djokovic. Because Federer can mix more and find a solution, and because of the aura of his past 12 wins. Djokovic hasn't won a slam yet, and Tsonga won't think that he has less right to grab the trophy.

The others were:

·
Registered
30,764 Posts
Even though Tsonga was great tonight/today his finalist whoever it will be is far more stronger than Nadal on this kind of court,so i say no

1 - 20 of 51 Posts