Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know all of you are tired of Tomic's threads, but seems people love to talk about him (bad or good).

So the question is: Can he be at least a good clay player?

I know the easier answer would be no. He already proove that he's great on both grass and hard surfaces. It's obvious that clay doesn't suit his game. He has a poor moviment and all of that, but he didn't play that many clay matches, so I think he can improve on that with practice. I should remember all of you that he is only 19 and there is still many aspects of his game where he can improve a lot. Murray was a clay mug, and know he is improving year by year, so Tomic can definetely do the same. He needs good coaching for that, IMO.

What do you think he can do on clay?

Discuss, seriously. (if it's not asking too much to MTF people)

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I know all of you are tired of Tomic's threads, but seems people love to talk about him (bad or good).

So the question is: Can he be at least a good clay player?

I know the easier answer would be no. He already proove that he's great on both grass and hard surfaces. It's obvious that clay doesn't suit his game. He has a poor moviment and all of that, but he didn't play that many clay matches, so I think he can improve on that with practice. I should remember all of you that he is only 19 and there is still many aspects of his game where he can improve a lot. Murray was a clay mug, and know he is improving year by year, so Tomic can definetely do the same. He needs good coaching for that, IMO.

What do you think he can do on clay?

Discuss, seriously. (if it's not asking too much to MTF people)

Bernard is only 19 his movement will get way better. I think when he is 22 he will be a threat on clay. BTW I will be right there cheering with you I hope Bernie beats Roger in an epic five-setter :worship:

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
Please stop insulting Murray. I mean, he has his faults- but comparing him to Tomic? Harsh.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Not really, since his game breaks down on clay. His flat balls and slices will jump much higher and be much less inconvenient for other players.

If he improves his movement, consistency and adds more topspin on clay then why not. Murray has improved on clay in the past few years, though his game is more naturally suited to it.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Please stop insulting Murray. I mean, he has his faults- but comparing him to Tomic? Harsh.
I know Tomic made the quarterfinals of a slam when he was 18 and has done something Murray hasnt. Take a set off of Djokovic in a GS.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Stop this!!! I cant imagine if he win a tournament...ohhh God save us

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Not till 2013-2014. He has to improve hugely his movement, and go more for his FH. And please, stop the Tomic hype.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bernard is only 19 his movement will get way better. I think when he is 22 he will be a threat on clay. BTW I will be right there cheering with you I hope Bernie beats Roger in an epic five-setter :worship:
Yes, I think it's not going to be that quick he will struggle this year and maybe even next. I don't see him winning RG ever, but SF runs definetly he can do it in some years. And winning some 250 (and maybe even 500) tournaments where the field it's not that great.

Thanks mate, I know it's going to be hard, but even if he loses in straights, i'm already happy what his achievments this week. Wish all the best to Gael this night. About Tsonga I would want him to lose, cause he will play Gil, but I know that's not going to happen, so GL to both Jo and Gael in the rest of the tournament. :wavey:

·
Registered
12,577 Posts
For as well as his game is tailored for true grass, it's equally not made for clay. And he doesn't have Murray's footspeed to fall back on.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
I know Tomic made the quarterfinals of a slam when he was 18 and has done something Murray hasnt. Take a set off of Djokovic in a GS.
Murray beat Federer, the number 1 player in the world, as a teenager.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
The kid with the golden balls can walk on water so I don't see why not. Get the feeling though that clay events are surplus to requirements for the great Aussie. Tomic will probably hit the clubs of Europe hard during the clay swing, with his twin girlfriend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts