Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He still has quite a few points to defend. But I think Nadal and Fereer are close to being sure to enter Olympics. I think Ferrero and Robreto have very good chances of making. But I still think a patriot like Moya deserves to go to Olympics?

So is a nation free to choose its four entries to Beijing or is it obligated to send only top 4?

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
As far as I understand, theres some rule about Davis Cup partisipation which would rule Ferrero out of it. So yeah I think Moya might get to go. I'm not entirely sure though

·
Registered
206 Posts
it certainly would be a pity if he doesn't go. he has certainly the second best result out of all of them (and the only one to have been ranked first!), not to mention being quite an entertaining player.

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
it certainly would be a pity if he doesn't go. he has certainly the second best result out of all of them (and the only one to have been ranked first!), not to mention being quite an entertaining player.
September 8 2003, Ferrero was also number 1;)

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
That doesn't matter, as long as you show the will to play Davis Cup. You don't need to actually be in the team.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
That doesn't matter, as long as you show the will to play Davis Cup. You don't need to actually be in the team.
Looks like that is not the case. :shrug:
This is part of what I posted a few weeks ago on the Olympics ranking thread:

ITF's regulations regarding the Olympics say a player eligible for the Olympics must "Make him/herself available for selection to represent his/her country in any of the International Team Championships of the Federation for two of the following years – 2005, 2006, 2007 or 2008 - provided that one of those years is either 2007 or 2008. In 2005, 2006, 2007 or 2008, a player who makes him/herself available for selection for one Tie in Davis Cup or Fed Cup will be deemed to have fulfilled the requirement for that year."
(http://www.itftennis.com/shared/medialibrary/pdf/original/IO_21709_original.PDF)

Which puts participation of Moya and Ferrero at risk...as far as I am aware Moya hasn't played a DC tie after the 2004 final, and JCF has played only one tie since the beginning of 2005 and he just skipped the forthcoming tie in Peru (well it's his decision so you can't complain).
See how Sharapova has been so keen on playing for the Russian Fed Cup team since last year. It's all for the Olympics.
Or is it enough to just make themselves available for the selection, and not necessarily playing in the team?
Not the best time to be a player from countries that have many top players, is it. Of course that is provided he/she is willing to play in the Olympics. (Both Moya and JCF played in Athens, and JC played in Sydney too, so they know what's it like to play in the Olympics.)

Reactions: Bibberz

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
How does that contradict what I said? Obviously, if Moya didn't want to play DC anyways, then he's not allowed to play in Beijing.

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Looks like Moya is screwed. But then again "Make himself available for selection" sounds like a very dodgy area. How can a player prove that he was willing to play but simply wasn't selected by the Davis Cup captain?

JCF at least played that one tie in 2005 against Italy so he only needs to turn up against Germany to be eligible.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Looks like Moya is screwed. But then again "Make himself available for selection" sounds like a very dodgy area. How can a player prove that he was willing to play but simply wasn't selected by the Davis Cup captain?

JCF at least played that one tie in 2005 against Italy so he only needs to turn up against Germany to be eligible.
I think everyone is available as long as he doesn't say that he is not. Nadal and Ferrero said they won't play in Peru so they were not available not matter if the coach wanted them or not. Nicolas Kiefer begged to play the Davis Cup tie against Korea but the coach didn't nominate him. So he was available and can play Olympia

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
This is Moya's last chance to make the Olympics probably, would be fitting if he could get their.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts

Exactly, I guess the DC coach has a lot of discretion the way the rule is stated. Most probably Sanchez will just nominate the highest ranked Spaniards saying all of them were available.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think there might be a chance for Moya even if he doesn't play the DC-he can enter the World Team Cup in Düsseldorf because he's gonna represent his country.I hope he's gonna play in Beijing because this may be his last chance to play the Olympics

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
I think there might be a chance for Moya even if he doesn't play the DC-he can enter the World Team Cup in Düsseldorf because he's gonna represent his country.I hope he's gonna play in Beijing because this may be his last chance to play the Olympics
World Team Cup is not sanctioned by ITF, unlike Davis Cup and Olympics, thus I don't think that one will count.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
I think everyone is available as long as he doesn't say that he is not. Nadal and Ferrero said they won't play in Peru so they were not available not matter if the coach wanted them or not. Nicolas Kiefer begged to play the Davis Cup tie against Korea but the coach didn't nominate him. So he was available and can play Olympia
But Ferrero and Moya have made themselves available for other times when they didn't get to play, so I don't think it matters.

Nadal and Ferrer are the only locks for Beijing. We'll see who is playing better come the summertime.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Moya is tennis royalty. He is celebrity. He draws headlines. Yes, they will send him. I would be shocked if they did not.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
as far as I read the rules the national tennis federation can decide who they want to send if there are more than 4 qualified players from that country.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts