Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not talking about just in talent alone, but in the game, the MINDSET the 100% focus. I would like to know really who is the most promising Russian girl. I mean what does Safina have that Bovina doesn't have? In fact who is the better one between the two? Who is the BEST RUSSIAN, and they don't have to play in maindraws yet either. I would like to hear from people who have actually seen many Russian girls play, and hear alot of their interviews.

Please don't include Anna K or Elena Demetieva or Elena Litokseva in this thread. They have been around for quiet awhile now, I am more interested in the new crop.

So far, from I think it could be Safina and Sharapova.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
How many do we have?
1.Maria Sharapova
2.Vera Zvonareva
3.Vera Douchevina
4.Dianara Safina
5.Elena Bovina
6.Nadia Petrova (Should i count her in?... Why not, shes top 10 stuff after all)
7.Lina Krasnoroutskaya

I dont remember more. Lina could have been top 20 by now but injurys... I saw Nadia Petrove a couple of times & shes amazing.
VeraZ is rising fast.
Maria has some time, but she is extremely talented.
I dont know much about VeraD so i wont comment.
ElenaB will be top 20 soon enough.
Dianara... As long as she wont have her bro's temper, the sky is the limit. Though i cant see her top 10 right now.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Zvonareva

·
Registered
20 Posts
Svetlana Kuznetsova has also put together a very solid season. I'm not sure it's going to happen for Krasnouroutskaya. I know she was injured but before that she was stalling after bright debuts in Luxembourg and Moscow.

·
Registered
82 Posts
BOVINA and MYSKINA in the "middle years" group. They have shown they know how to close out matches and tournaments.

Nadya and Lina, I reserve judgment till they have a full year healthy again.

Of the really young ones, I have NO idea! But as a whole group, I have high expectations of them!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Nadia Petrova:)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I REALLY feel Svetlana Kusnetsova is a wonderfully talented Russian who won't underperform like the current crop(excluding Myskina). She's in the Semis of Bali is it? right now, and didn't she win the Juniors RG or a large title like that?

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
I was under the impression that Kusnetsova hadn't won any junior slams? Mind you I read that before the French Open some time, so maybe i missed one ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Imho from what I see many of these players play alot of alike, so what player is going to distinguished herself from the Russian group and beat them all up? Who has the TOTAL PACKAGE to beat even their own Russian counterparts on a regular basis? Sure many could be ranked#1 over a period of time, but who do the Russian fans believe is that one girl who is going to DOMINATE them all?
Boiled Egg, why did you pick Vera #2? You know so much about Russian tennis, so why her? What does she got that other Russians players don't have?

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
In the long run.....Maria will be the most successful. She is soo confident in herself....she'll do what it takes to get to the top.

I hope it's Eugenia though.:)

1.Maria Sharapova
2.Svetlana Kuznetsova
3.Vera Douchevina
4.Dinara Safina
5.Maria Kirilenko
6.Vera Zvonareva

My favorite Russians
1.Eugenia Linetskaya
2.Maria Kirilenko
3.Svetlana Kuznetsova
4.Dinara Safina
5.Anna Bastrikova(where are you Anna?!?! They are leaving you behind.:eek:)
I like most Russians so, good luck to them all.:)

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Vera D has got this something else ;) she can change her game plan too :) and plus she's about 1m80.

on faster surfaces her game really comes to fruitition ;)

(hopefully i haven't jinxed her)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Eggy, what is that something else? lol

Any pictures of this Vera? By the way I like all the Russian women players except for two. I am sure you know who those two are. lol

I use to be big fans of them both, but I didn't like what they stated about my favs so I had to mark them off my list.

I saw Maria Sharapova play when she was a kid about 3 years ago, and she is going to be good. Saw her at Nick Bottelteri's and she was so intense and she kept making this squeal everytime she hit the ball. By the way Nick use to coach in my hometown WAYYYYYYYYYYYY back in the day for awhile even before he became famous. lol

Anyway, from what I know of the Russian players, I think Sharapova and Zvonereva and Safina will be in top 5. Lina seems to get injured too much so I think I am going to count her out. All I know is that Laura Granville and Ashley Hackelroad will get their asses beat when they start meeting their peer counterpart Russian wta player. Usa is in danger of being eclipsed by the Russian women.

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
you know when you see a player, you know she has it, and she is one of them
clay court is not her best surface but thats the only surface where she has played WTA/ITF events.

Hopefully she stays injury free

1 - 20 of 38 Posts