Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im really confused because there are posts scattered about this issue. Would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
Britain had gradually become 48 hours ahead of all other countries because of the constant switching back and forth from British Summer Time, and since TMC will be held in London, the British government had decided to cancel April 5 and 12 that year, to resynchronize the British calendar with the rest of the world.

bizarre but true

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What? 48 hours ahead of the rest of the world? This is a joke right?

OK, can someone just tell me what the tennis calendar will look like next year?

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
this is the best i can give u :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Tennis_Professionals#2009_changes

http://www.atptennis.com/en/news/2007/atp_events2009_cities.asp

The ATP announced eight additional venues that have been awarded "1000" status for the new-look 2009 ATP Tour. The eight are Indian Wells, Miami, Rome, Madrid, Cincinnati, Canada, Shanghai and Paris.

The "1000" tournaments will replace the existing ATP Masters Series, and these eight tournaments will join the ninth "1000" event, Monte Carlo, to make up the top tier of the new ATP Tour structure. The eight tournaments named will attract a mandatory player field, ensuring guaranteed top player participation at all events.

The commitment will be backed by new rules and sanctions that include suspension for missed mandatory tournaments. Launching in 2009, the ATP Tour will undergo its largest set of changes since its creation in 1990. As well as new tournaments and a record breaking level of prize money, the ATP will also introduce a new brand look and identity based on extensive consumer research and designed to make the Tour more fan friendly by linking tournaments to their winners ranking point levels of either "1000," "500" or "250."

personally i think it will make tennis more competitive and less dominated by the likes of the well known trio.

cons: the grand slams lose on weight

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that. But it says nothing about dates..?

·
Registered
17,866 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I read somewhere that it won't be announced until after Shanghai this year :eek:.

I think this 1000/500/250 looks good on paper but kind of sounds tacky. Much prefer "Masters Series Event" rather than "ATP 1000", but there we go.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I read somewhere that it won't be announced until after Shanghai this year :eek:.

I think this 1000/500/250 looks good on paper but kind of sounds tacky. Much prefer "Masters Series Event" rather than "ATP 1000", but there we go.
yea, sounds like mickey mouse regional handball tournaments!

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
It is very simple, there is no such thing officially and I wonder how that will affect tournaments that try to prepare in advance. For example, imagine Miami talking with TV networks about the coverage next year. They will say "we have assurances from the ATP that the tournament will be held at dates so and so" Is that credible enough for their negotiating partners? Just saying.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Can anyone tell me how Mr. Disney decided that "ATP 1000" sounds better then "ATP Masters Series"? :armed:

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
It used to be Mercedes Super 9, honestly I don't know how can any phrase be worse than that :D

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can anyone tell me how Mr. Disney decided that "ATP 1000" sounds better then "ATP Masters Series"? :armed:
hey r u going to atp 1000 monte carlo?
hey r u going to the masters series in monte carlo :angel:

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
but is all this official? what about the slams?
I was wondering about that as well, I recall reading that the slams will be upgraded to 2000 points but I'm not sure whether that has been confirmed yet. It would seem unfair to give both slams and AMS 1000 points.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts