Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He managed to win an ATP 250 event earlier in the year, a great success. Then the pandemic started, I read he was in trouble with Brazilian authorities for violating some of the curfew and social distancing restrictions. I noticed he has lost in the first round of last week's challenger event and this week again, out in the first round. Is it his health, coaching issues, failing to follow coaching instructions (lol)? So what is up with this young man. Just having trouble getting restarted or is there something more serious going on? Any updates would help, I really thought he was someone to keep an eye on in 2021. Now I am so sure....

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I was actually wondering too what is happening with this guy. He was so impressive in the final in Santiago de Chile early on this year when he beat Casper Ruud and since the season resumed, he almost lost all his first round matches, at the French Open qualifications as well.

·
Super Moderator
12,324 Posts
No idea, but I did watch his last match, just way out of form, spraying errors all over the place, and really bad attitude.

Hard to say what he went thru when he had coronavirus this spring and what ability to train since.

·
MONSOON season.
82,207 Posts
No idea, but I did watch his last match, just way out of form, spraying errors all over the place, and really bad attitude.

Hard to say what he went thru when he had coronavirus this spring and what ability to train since.
TBH bad attitude and many UEs will be a recurring theme in his career.

Reactions: a1canada

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
He had a very nasty fall in his ATP 250 qualifying match vs Pellegrino. It happened exactly between set 1 and 2. He was laying on the clay for more than 10 minutes and was visibly in pain after. Also he was outplaying Pellegrino until that point, after that he lost the match.

I think he had some kind of injury after that match that might be still bothering him or was bothering him.

Also his backhand can be shaky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts