Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that Alex has always sucked in slams so far, with a slight improvement at the FO this year, but maybe he can have his breakthrough and win it this year?

According to the bookies he has 3 players ahead of him to win it: Nole, Rafa and Roger, with Andy pretty much at the same level as Sascha (10.2 Sascha/10.5 Andy in the book I'm watching right now)

I don't think Andy has the stamina/fitness yet to win this kind of tournaments where you need to be in top top shape to be a real contender, he just withdrew from Washington and won't be playing Toronto, if he loses early at Cinci he will not have many matches played before the USO so I think him being the 4th/5th favorite is overpriced.

I think Roger will continue declining and he might not even make semis here.

Rafa I guess will depend on the draw.

Novak is the only real favorite imo if he can keep this Wimbledon form, Sascha beat him already but not in bo5.

Nole-Sascha final? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
546 Posts
I would enjoy nothing more than Nole schooling and humbling (if that's even possible) Zverev in a slam final. Unfortunately, the odds of him reaching the finals are slim to none and it is far more likely that we will see two of Rafa, Nole, Rogie, Del Po, or Cilic. With Anderson, Isner, Sascha and Nishikori as darkhorses. If Zverev wins the USO I might have to stop watching tennis :lol:. Hopefully Coric is his 3rd round match up so he can school him again.

·
Registered
57,596 Posts
I mean, the answer is "yes but he probably won't" until he proves otherwise. He obviously has the level to beat anyone, no way of telling when/if he produces it at a Slam.

·
Registered
242 Posts
He will make his breakthrough sooner or later, because he's good enough to compete for Slams already, but because of his long list of fails it's hard to bet on him until he proves he is ready to really compete in them. So, yeah, he can win US Open, there's a reason why he has more M1000 titles than whole Useless Generation combined, but he has to make solid GS run to make me believe I can bet on him with some confidence.

·
Registered
136 Posts
He's excellent and could win IMO. I want to see him play an in-form Djokovic though. I'm curious how that match-up will go.

In addition to the big 3, I think Del Potro also has a better chance at winning the US Open than he does.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Nadal, Djokovic, del Potro, Cilic and Federer are ahead of him. Murray isn't but if he does well in Cincinatti maybe, but seems to soon to be a slam contender again. Still, five players ahead so I'm going with no for sure.

·
Your visions will happen
47,134 Posts
Don't look past De Minaur

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,623 Posts
He could but again, it is match by match, and point by point.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
The real question here is: can he lose it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts