2003 Australian Open, Hard, R16
Australia Hard R16 Nalbandian 4 6 6 3 1 6 6 1 3 6
2002 Basel, Carpet, S
Switzerland Carpet S Nalbandian 7 6 5 7 3 6
2002 Monte Carlo TMS, Clay, R32
Monaco Clay R32 Nalbandian 2 6 1 6
Nalbandian leads 3:0
Nalbaldian leads 1:0 on hard

I've never watched any of their matchups but i've seen both play many times. What is it about his game that troubles Roger? :confused:

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
I've also never seen them play one another. I saw that Nalbandian said that he put the ball high to Rainer's backhand and Rainer had trouble handling it. I wonder how Roger would handle that tactic.

2002 was a rather miserable year for Roger and he has trouble winning in Basel so I'm writing that result off -- but I have no accounting for the other results. I'm rooting for Roger all the way in this match, but then I nearly always root for whoever is playing Nalbandian. ;)

No, seriously. I like Roger. I would like to see him do well.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
I am dying to see a Nalbandian/Federer matchup! I want to see exactly why Nalbandian's game gives Federer so much trouble.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nalbandian has great success against Federer (IMO) because he doesn't give him a.) a target or b.) tons of pace like a Roddick does. The Great Dave frustrates him by making him hit a lot of shots and the errors come. Plus, DAVE is one hell of a player. Ignore that shitty Montreal final

Go NALBANDIAN

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Well, every player has their bête noir, huh Rogi! Andy finally conquered his, maybe Rog'll get lucky no. 5 too, lol

Nice win Naba! 7-6(4) 7-6(5)

Now I hope Rogi fix himself up for the US Open--get farther! He was really acting the way he was in juniors out there. Loud and mad! Nabs really has him wrapped around his finger

·
Registered
596 Posts
Nalby was leading 5-2 in the second set and Roger came back to a TB. If David would have lost, that would have been one big choking.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Re: Re: Can Roger beat David Nalbandian this time?

The thing is, Nalbandian served for both sets and played horrible service games both times, littered with errors, but that didn't really matter. He's such a good returner that holding serve all the time isn't so important to him because he knows he can pick off Federer on his returns. In the breakers, every time he had a chance to close it out on his service points he threw them away cheaply, but then immediately came up with good returns and passes on Federer's serve. To me, Federer looks like he has no idea how to find a way around Nalbandian - whenever he tries to attack with a big forehand, Big Dave uses all the pace to throw an even bigger shot back at him. And then when he tries to slow-ball him, Nalbandian just steps in and attacks himself, and Federer is nowhere near as good on the defensive as the Argentine.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Yoel etc. said:
Nalby was leading 5-2 in the second set and Roger came back to a TB. If David would have lost, that would have been one big choking.
It will be because I think David had about 9 mps. But, Roger used all his quota in yesterday's match.

Sjengster, Roger definitely has no idea how to handle Nalby, the 0-4 head to head does say something.

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts
Well obviously he couldn't handle Nalbandian this time either. I actually thought Roger would turn the tables this time.

Nice win for Dave.

·
Banned
9,580 Posts
Nalbandian stretched Fed side to side a lot, and
Fed relied on 14 aces and 3 breaks of serves just
to hang on.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts

Gaudio Troll said:
Get back in the TOP TEN where you belong, the Great Dave :D
Don't worry - Great Dave will be back where he belongs, in time :devil: He has an outside shot at the Masters Cup this year :D

·
Registered
28,276 Posts

Gaudio Troll said:
I only wish that it comes to pass, Queen. Then I will feel that things are as they should be.
Don't you also need Gaudio back in the top 20 to feel that way?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
LOL Rebecca! It is eggcelent

I had never seen Roger SO angry before. He is so cute when he's mad! Keep it up David!!! Haha! J/k... that's a mean thing to say, but I like to see Rogi scream and feeling like he is not the best. He has always had a bit of an ego. I don't mind egos, but hopelessness is even sexier...

David, :drool: I want to see David in top 10 too. It is nice to be surrounded by his fans you guys! He is really a ubiquitous player I guess. You can see him on all surfaces doing well. Keep it up!

Rebecca, check your PM on your forum :cool:!

Gaudio Troll, btw, congrats to Gaston today! He did a very nice job--pulled himself together well!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Queen, some things are so special that I don't want to tempt "fate" by mentioning them...!

(but yeah, wouldn't hurt)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts