Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,757 Posts
He would have to retire at 5-2 , 40- love. You can't give a match.

·
Registered
19,144 Posts
6-7 6-2 is 1-1, so if he quits there he can just gift it yes.

Reactions: BauerAlmeida

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes, Federer has done so on numerous occasions. Perhaps most famously the RG 2008/Wimbledon 2008/world no 1 triple, nicely gift wrapped and shipped by boat to the sunny beaches of Mallorca.

·
Premium Member
29,533 Posts
SORRY I MEAN 7-6 6-2!!! But can he just give match to opponent saying "I'm giving you match you won!" (if he will say it before Chair (men who say result) example!!!
lol no. It doesn't matter if he says it before the umpire calls the score. It is not possible to play another point after he won the 6-2 game no matter what he does/says, so the match is already over.

And if he for example punches the opponent and gets disqualified just after winning the final point.... both players would probably be out of the tournament.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
The closest way to do this would be to replicate Serena vs Stosur and scream during the rally on your match point that you give up. That'd give the point, game, set and match to the opponent.

Your opponent might not welcome your decision though and might challenge your scream with Hawkear.

·
10,951 Posts
Malvin...here if a guy not free for next round they reach MP 76 52 40-15 then they retire. Reversing a result after last ball hit is not allowed

·
Registered
433 Posts
In a 5 set match it would be possible. You can be 7-6,6-2 up and then retire, saying " I give up, you win. "

In a 3 set match, no, you will be declared the winner once the point after 7-6,5-2, 40-0 is finished.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In a 5 set match it would be possible. You can be 7-6,6-2 up and then retire, saying " I give up, you win. "

In a 3 set match, no, you will be declared the winner once the point after 7-6,5-2, 40-0 is finished.
See... May be need change this rule... Example player WANT you play in next round after he won...

·
Banned
3,256 Posts
can't think of any sports where one could gift the victory to his opponent after he won tbh.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts