Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wimbledon is known around the world as the most prestigious tennis event. The 126th edition of the competition will be held at the All England Club, during the months of June and July. The Championships is the oldest running tennis tournament, dating back to 1877.

It is one of four Majors, the other three being: the Australian Open, the French Open, and the US Open.

In this particular article, I shall focus my attention on the current ladies' singles champion, Petra Kvitova. I will talk about Kvitova's history. I will answer the question in the title. Then, I will finish by posting the bookmaker's odds regarding Kvitova's chances of winning this year's Wimbledon.

The 22-year-old turned professional as a 16-year-old back in 2006. She entered her first Wimbledon in 2008, and was beaten in the first round by Ukrainian international, Tatiana Perebiynis, by two sets to one.

During the following year, Kvitova was again knocked out in the first round by Russian national, Maria Kirilenko, two sets to love. Kvitova played some of her best tennis in 2010, and managed to get to the semi-finals of the tournament, losing to the eventual winner of the event, Serena Williams.

Last year, Kvitova was quite incredible. The 22-year-old won the ladies' singles title, defeating world number two, Maria Sharapova, two sets to nil.

So, to answer the question in the title: “can Petra Kvitova win the ladies' singles title?” My answer would have to be yes.

The young up-and-comer has already had the experience of winning Wimbledon, giving her a slight edge over a lot of the competitors featuring at SW19, this year. Kvitova is considered the third favourite in the tennis betting, with odds of around 9/2.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts