Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it would be ridiculous for the French Open to seed 13-time champion Nadal below Medvedev, who has never won a match at the tournament.

Would the French ever make a special seeding adjustment?

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I think it would be ridiculous for the French Open to seed 13-time champion Nadal below Medvedev, who has never won a match at the tournament.

I think the number 3 spot is actually better for Nadal, since he is guaranteed to meet Thiem only in a possible final.

But draws do not matter for Nadal at the FO anyways. If he is fit, he is going to win it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
At this stage, Rafa and Roger don't care about ranking, that much. Which is a good thing, since neither one of them will ever be #1, again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'd say a 40 percent chance, he needs to get off to a good start by winning MC and Barcelona for sure ! Can med make a few quarter finals in some clay masters? That would help him surely fend off Rafa from number 2 spot . If rafa fails to win a tournament before madrid he could be in trouble.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
There was the case in 2013, before RG, ranking was
1 Djoko
2 Murray
3 Federer
4 Nadal 6.895

5 Ferrer 6.740

But at the start of the clay season before MC, Ferrer was ahead of Nadal.
4 Ferrer 6.970
5 Nadal 6.385

IF Nadal was not doing a big clay tour ... Guy Forget had proposed a "special" seed clay rank so as not to "penalize" the 7RG Champion (and 3x defending champion)

But in the face of the "favoritism" controversy, Forget abandoned the idea.

Finally, Nadal took enough points to be seed4 and in addition Murray rank2 withdraw just before the tournament, so Nadal was seed3.

That said .. after RG and defended his title, Nadal moved back to rank 5 behind Ferrer 4, because Nadal did not take points from RG while Ferrer played the final (1/2 in 2012: + 480 pts)

·
|
15,637 Posts
As long as Nadal gets to humiliate Djokovic (and his dad and Goran) every year I'll be happy with the draw.
So preferably Nadal is #3 so we can meet Djokovic in the SF, because Djokovic often doesn't make the Final....

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Not sure how much difference #2 or #3 or even #1 would make for Rafa regarding his domination here. The worst case scenario is facing Djok and Thiem back to back, and that could happen at #2 or #3 or even #1. That is the only possible issue IMO for Rafa here because he has shown he handles both of them very easily at the FO, though back to back, if a 5 setter first, could pose a little added difficulty.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
With Medvedev's form decline and fact that Rafa can gain points in MC, Barca and Madrid, I think it is very likely.
Rafa can be back at No. 2 even at MC

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
As long as Nadal gets to humiliate Djokovic (and his dad and Goran) every year I'll be happy with the draw.
So preferably Nadal is #3 so we can meet Djokovic in the SF, because Djokovic often doesn't make the Final....
You mentioned Djokovic more times than you mentioned Nadal in your post. It’s good to know that he’s always on your mind.

·
Registered
Federer
109 Posts
In a hypothetical scenario where RG adjusted it's seeding, Nadal would be the ultimate hypocrite in accepting after all the crying and moaning over seeding at 2019 Wimbledon. Remember that?? Sure, I think he could get back to #2 judging by Medvedev's history on clay, but then again he doesn't have any points to defend really. Nadal is playing less and less as time passes as well. Of course that always changes when clay season rolls around and he magically heals and drinks from the fountain of youth.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
In a hypothetical scenario where RG adjusted it's seeding, Nadal would be the ultimate hypocrite in accepting after all the crying and moaning over seeding at 2019 Wimbledon. Remember that?? Sure, I think he could get back to #2 judging by Medvedev's history on clay, but then again he doesn't have any points to defend really. Nadal is playing less and less as time passes as well. Of course that always changes when clay season rolls around and he magically heals and drinks from the fountain of youth.
Strong candidate for double account hot on the heels of the recently banned 'Kobe'

·
Registered
907 Posts
Most likely the ranking will stay as it is, in which case Djokovic has an unusually bad spot for a top seed, guaranteed to be drawn against either Thiem or Nadal already in the semi. Thiem has the best spot, obviously. The only one certain not to be drawn against Nadal before the final, and with a chance to get a softer than normal semi.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Nope barking up the wrong tree buddy. How about respond to my post instead of making false accusations?
Maybe but all too often posters who come on like you are presently with the type of trolling you're doing are old members back for another round.

Respond to what exactly anyway? The silly claims of hypocrisy are not worth a response.

As for whether Nadal will regain #2 or #1 it's hard to say and probably depends on more than just what he does at this stage of his career but stranger things have happened.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts