Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roger has done it. Rafa has but to a lesser extent.

Now for the first time, we will witness Nole trying to cope with the pressure of being the favorite in every single match of his life. He'll be the favorite at every single slam and he is expected to win every time.

Will he? Nobody knows. He needs to stay disciplined between now and AO'12.

--

Nadal's presser after USO finals, "I now have a clear target, I know what I have to do."

Expect Rafa to come hard at Nole in 2012. Can't wait! :devil: :D :eek:

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
There's a WORLD of difference between "to come hard at Nole" and "to want to come hard at Nole".

·
Registered
460 Posts
He is coping well right now.

What is going to be different next year ?

If he is healthy and Rafa is healty - they will meet in many finals again. Rest of the tour will get crumbs.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
He's been doing just fine. Do you think that a guy who won 3 majors and 5 masters can't cope? lol

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is coping well right now.

What is going to be different next year ?

If he is healthy and Rafa is healty - they will meet in many finals again. Rest of the tour will get crumbs.
Defending three slams in a calendar year is no easy task.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's been doing just fine. Do you think that a guy who won 3 majors and 5 masters can't cope? lol
I'm not saying he can't cope. But I do believe that next years pressures will be a lot more than the pressures he faced this year.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's a WORLD of difference between "to come hard at Nole" and "to want to come hard at Nole".
Yes, but do you expect the Rafa we've known *not* to come hard?

Again, I'm not saying Nole will fold over. He's shown great character this year, definitely. In a country which will hero worship him, he should be careful not to get complacent.

Rafa definitively and maybe even Roger and the rest of the top 20 will put in more hard work now on.

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,510 Posts
Well let's see..The most pressure he's ever faced in his career would have been on two occasions this year:

1) Semifinal of the FO (playing for # 1 ranking, and the record of consecutive wins)
2) The US Open (clear favourite following the Wimbledon title and first time holding a # 1 ranking in a grand slam)

I think he learned from his mistake from the first scenario quite well and the pressure he faced at the US Open will be the same that he will be looking at next year as well. :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Defending three slams in a calendar year is no easy task.
if that is his mind set then you are probably right especially if during AO he starts thinking how hard it will be to defend USO

if he continues to aproach thing like he is doing it right now - focusing only on the next match, trying to play as well as possible and if he stays healthy and hungry - the pressure will be same as it is now.

Novak's only danger is the fact that he is from Balkan's and general mentality of those people is that they can be great when they are "hungry" but they can easily get self satisfied and ease up a bit which Novak can not afford to do if he wants to join Fedal in the record books.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
who knows until it happened?

I don't think anyone expect Djoker to be that good in this year ...

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Yes, but do you expect the Rafa we've known *not* to come hard?
:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

Brilliant wording, oh man :superlol:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
He's coping just fine. There was the streak. Then it was to win Wimbledon. Then to win the US Open. Now it's for the best season record. He hasn't crumbled and is doing just fine. There's no reason to believe he won't continue to next year seeing as there's not really much of a season break. Although, he hasn't left himself much breathing room, in terms of points, so I believe his points total will drop next year due to having to defend everything.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He can gain points @ RG. And the career grand slam!

But that's it, everywhere else its him defending.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At the same time, Rafa too is defending a lot. RG and finals at every other event.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd say well enough to win a couple Grand Slams in 2012.
Yep, couple of slams and 4+ master 1000s should be good enough to hold on to #1. Its certainly do able - proof Roger 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007.

2012 can be the defining year for Novak and Rafa. Can't wait! :D

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
I don't see how he couldn't with there being such a big gap in talent and ability between the top 3 and the rest. And factor in Nadal's slowing down and Fed's getting old. What type of pressure could there really be? He doesn't have a rival.. The two guys that are closest to him, as rivals are on the downside of their careers right now.

The rest of the mug top 4-10 in the world aren't worth a fart in the wind on the tennis courts.

Murray SUCKS at slams
Ferrer is garbage anymore
Almago: Whats he even doing in the top 10
Monfils is decent but not great
Potro is always injured and hasn't been the same since 09 though he is the most reasonably choice to take Djoker IF and ONLY IF he can get healthy again.

Dolgpolov and the rest are unproven and not really all that good.

His two main guys he has to worry about. Nadal he completely owns and no doubt is slowing down BIG TIME physically, and Fed is slowing down tremdenously

Should be no pressure at all there.. IN fact, he should EASILY dominate another 2 years anyways

·
Banned
3,513 Posts
Nadull didn't handle the pressure at all :confused: He's never defended a non-clay title in his career, he obviously deals poorly with being the favorite. Messes up his voodoo charms I guess. Fakervic is another one who rarely defends titles. Wasn't the first one he defended the Nole open which was literally fixed so he could win?

Tards have gotten used to the greatness of Roger Federer but his repeat championships and consistent greatness are unique. Even in today's mug era Faker and Nadull are not able to live up to pressure. Fakervic will be lucky to win one slam next year and that'll probably be all she wrote :wavey:

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nadull didn't handle the pressure at all :confused: He's never defended a non-clay title in his career, he obviously deals poorly with being the favorite. Messes up his voodoo charms I guess. Fakervic is another one who rarely defends titles. Wasn't the first one he defended the Nole open which was literally fixed so he could win?

Tards have gotten used to the greatness of Roger Federer but his repeat championships and consistent greatness are unique. Even in today's mug era Faker and Nadull are not able to live up to pressure. Fakervic will be lucky to win one slam next year and that'll probably be all she wrote :wavey:
Rafa hasn't done it to the extent of Roger, but continuously winning slams in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 is proof of remarkable consistency.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts