Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
?

And is he still ahead in the race? Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Yes, if Fed doesn't win the USO. Or even if Fed wins the USO, but crashed out early in a few MS events, Nadal can still finish as the world #1.

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts
NOt that far-fetched of an idea IF Nadal keeps getting to finals. If he goes out in the QF of the USO and Federer wins, it'll probably not happen.

Federer also has points to gain from possibly 4 optional events he if so chooses.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Possible but unlikely. I know it's important for Rafa to reach #1 in his career. But he really should concentrate on winning these big matches, the #1 ranking will take care of itself.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Well, that depends on if the Race and the Entry Rankings match up by the end of the year. In the past, it has, but what happens if Roger's huge points lead (now at 2000 or so) holds, while Nadal gets more race points? It is mathematically possible, isn't it?

·
Banned
42,099 Posts
Well, that depends on if the Race and the Entry Rankings match up by the end of the year. In the past, it has, but what happens if Roger's huge points lead (now at 2000 or so) holds, while Nadal gets more race points? It is mathematically possible, isn't it?
It's not. The race always matches up the entry at the end of the year. Think about it a little and you'll see.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
No it is not ... :)

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NOt that far-fetched of an idea IF Nadal keeps getting to finals. If he goes out in the QF of the USO and Federer wins, it'll probably not happen.

Federer also has points to gain from possibly 4 optional events he if so chooses.
He does have points to gain? I didn't think so, with his ledgendary run last year. In any case, Fed's form this year is much lower than last year (based solely on results for all you Federer fans) and Nadal's is well above his level last year. I can't imagine Nadal having a worse close to 07 than 06 and I can't imagine Federer equalling his run last year, so who knows...

At the very least Federer, for the first time ever, is being made to work. It really was a magnifiscent final. I'm a die-hard Nadal (and Sampras) fan, so I was firmly in my corner, and I dislike Federer partly because it seems as though he never has to grind anything out (no need to comment if you're a Federer fan, I know you disagree). But, today playing very mediocre tennis, and cussing because he wanted it so bad, I almost felt like I was watching real tennis again.

Nonetheless, I hope Nadal has a strong finish and takes Fed's #1 spot and U.S. Open title. Only 12months until he wins his first Wimbledon. :banana:

--stevo

·
Registered
4,618 Posts

:sad: :sad:
Fee~~ you still don`t get it do you:confused: :eek:
At the end of the year the Race & the Entry Rankings are always the same [except if players get points at Challengers];)

·
Registered
21,231 Posts

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts
Nadal will up by 135 race points after playing on clay in Germany.

Say this happens in the two TMS summer hard events:

Canada: Fed SF Nadal F
Cincy: Fed W Nadal F

Not all that implausible. Nadal would then gain 25 in Canada and Federer would gain 30 in Cincy. That means Nadal would go to the USO up 130 race points.

If Federer wins the USO and Nadal loses in say the SF, then Fed would gain 110 points and cut the lead to 20 and then in all probability win the race.

A lot depends upon Federer to keep on winning and it is never a given. Since the beginning of the OPen Era, only Laver, Connors, Wilander, and Federer (2X) have won 3 or more slams in a year. If Fed wins the USO, he would have done it 3 times, as many as everyone else combined.

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts
He does have points to gain? I didn't think so, with his ledgendary run last year. In any case, Fed's form this year is much lower than last year (based solely on results for all you Federer fans) and Nadal's is well above his level last year. I can't imagine Nadal having a worse close to 07 than 06 and I can't imagine Federer equalling his run last year, so who knows...

At the very least Federer, for the first time ever, is being made to work. It really was a magnifiscent final. I'm a die-hard Nadal (and Sampras) fan, so I was firmly in my corner, and I dislike Federer partly because it seems as though he never has to grind anything out (no need to comment if you're a Federer fan, I know you disagree). But, today playing very mediocre tennis, and cussing because he wanted it so bad, I almost felt like I was watching real tennis again.

Nonetheless, I hope Nadal has a strong finish and takes Fed's #1 spot and U.S. Open title. Only 12months until he wins his first Wimbledon. :banana:

--stevo
He has points to gain in the race. The race points and the entry ranking will be the same at the end. IF Nadal is to catch Federer, he will do it at the end of the year, probably at the TMC, maybe Paris. Federer will keep his #1 ranking for quite a few more weeks because he still has huge points to his name. But unless he keeps on winning, he will fall too far behind in the race and not be able to catch up by season's end. Unless Fed loses a few in the first round, there is no way Nadal can catch him sooner then the end of the year.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts