Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Murray gunning for Federer
ESPN staff

British No. 1 Andy Murray is hoping to take full advantage of Roger Federer's absence from the ATP Tour as he bids to end the year in the top three of the world rankings.

The world No. 4 remains on course for his third title of the year at the Thailand Open and is yet to drop a set in Bangkok after booking his place in the semi-finals with a straights sets win over Grigor Dimitrov on Friday.

The Scot will head to Tokyo for the Japan Open next week, before beginning the defence of his Shanghai Masters title on October 9.

Having not played either Bangkok or Tokyo last season, Murray could pick up an extra 750 rankings points with back-to-back titles, and with Federer having pulled out of Shanghai with "nagging injuries", Murray has the chance to leapfrog his rival.

Murray beat Federer in last year's Shanghai Masters final, and should he successfully retain the title in China he would overtake Federer as world No. 3, putting him firmly on course to end the year in the top three for the first time in his career.

"By playing the full Asian stretch, there is a chance for me to try and move my ranking up by one spot, which is something I want to do by the end of the year," Murray said.

____:___

Is it possible? factible? discuss. :)

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Isn't Murray ahead of Fed in the race? I reckon he'll beat him barring a golden Autumn for Federer.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
isn't he already ahead of him in Race points? it's more than possible.

it would be nice for murray, but not very meaningful either way. djokovic was such a clear #1 and nadal such a clear #2, with the other two hanging around and only making the occasional splash. doesn't help that they are both utterly useless against nadal in most matches.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Would be bad for the game. Mugray doesn't deserve #3 spot.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Murray without a slam in front of Fed ...bad for tennis ...we all know who the 3rd best player is really

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Yeah, though being 3rd or 4th probably shouldn't be their priority, but their priorities would go hand in hand with it so yeah.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Murray without a slam in front of Fed ...bad for tennis ...we all know who the 3rd best player is really
Yeah, Nole. When you put it that way.

·
Registered
17,776 Posts
The rankings should go like this:

(tie) 1. Djokovic
(tie) 1. Djokovic
(tie) 1. Djokovic
4. Nadal
5. Murray
6. Federer

:p

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Unless Federer repeats as WTF champion, it will almost impossible for him to end ahead of Murray in the points. We can talk about slams in years past, but this year Murray has had more success and the rankings will most likely reflect that.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
oh, has Federer won a slam that counts in the current YTD rankings points?
Murray has had a better season than Federer. Murray has been the 3rd best player this year. Murray has done (slightly) better at the slams, and has won a MS title.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Murray has had better results in grand slams than Federer this year.

Murray (F/SF/SF/SF) + 1 MS title (Cincy) > Federer (SF/F/QF/SF) + 0 MS titles

Highly possible for Murray to finish #3 over Federer if he doesn't mug things up between now and the end of the year.

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It will really depend on how well Murray does during the asian swing, specially since Roger is not playing until Basel. But Roger ending the year as #4 will be something nobody expected or dreamt at the start of the year.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
He can eventually because the Fed man does not care so much for master series shields, so this gives Murray easy opportunities to jump on his tail. So I wouldn't be surprised now or then if Murray catches up, but the bigger question would be, can Murray defeat Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic eventually, while on route to a slam win?

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
He can eventually because the Fed man does not care so much for master series shields, so this gives Murray easy opportunities to jump on his tail. So I wouldn't be surprised now or then if Murray catches up, but the bigger question would be, can Murray defeat Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic eventually, while on route to a slam win?
He's one of the few players that have beaten Nadal and Federer back to back in the same tournament, so I don't see why not. Federer is not get any sharper, and his endurance and focus are suspect especially this year- his losses to Tsonga and Djokovic from two sets up are really worrying.

With regards to Nadal, I think if he doesn't solve the Djoko 2.0 problem soon I see him going the way of Federer- that is losing steam from a bad head to head and crashing out against other players, like Tsonga etc.

I'd be less optimistic about Murray's chances against Djokovic, but Murray has beaten him this year, one of only 3 men to do it. You can say Murray would have lost if Djokovic was healthy, but I forsee many instances where Djokovic isn't a 100%(he's not exactly Federer when it comes to avoiding injuries)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I don't think it will matter in the long run, really. Murray put up good performances in all the slams, won a masters shield. For this year with Djokovic, that's a top 3 year. Won't affect seeding at all, so Federer won't mind. His goal is another major.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Love that people are bringing up that Murray doesn't have a Slam. Hey geniuses: Neither does Federer this year, which is really what we're talking about year-end rankings.

Reactions: Nole fan
1 - 20 of 170 Posts