Mens Tennis Forums banner

Would Monfils have won the US Open had he defeated Federer?

• Yes

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 18 66.7%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We all know he is a very athletic player who supposedly wastes his talent on showmanship. We all saw his amazing run in US Open before he broke down mentally to Federer and his late season surge. Do you think he has what it takes to win a slam? What I think is his problem is his mentality and stamina, other than that he can beat anyone if he puts his mind to it. Notably in his match vs Federer has visibly exhausted in the match despite outplaying him throughout. If he improved his stamina and mentality what threat do you think he'd pose? His injuries I think stem from his antics. What do you think? I think he is among the underachievers of the sport along with Tsonga, Berdych etc.

·
Premium Member
21,943 Posts
He can beat anyone, but he can also lose to anyone. Injury prone and so-so stamina, a masters yes, slam most likely no, barring some very favorable draw.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
He's terrible in 250 or 500 finals, but above all he's unable to beat the very best players at Slams.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
If he had converted his MP against Roger he would face Cilic. Yeah I know Cilic was playing too well, but that's because Roger was too tired and his shots didn't have any pace. You always look too good when your oponent is giving you butter.
Anyone would beat a Zombie Nishikori in the final, so the semifinal was the real final. Who knew...if Monfils had beaten Federer that night...Who would know if he could beat Cilic...and be a slam Champion

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
He's beat Federer in masters before and probably should've won that USO match. In any case, I didn't say I believe he could win a GS, but it's not just all hype.
I don't think Monfils can beat anyone. Otherwise he would have had at least one win over someone he's faced 11 times...

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
he's actually a very overrated player

he is not particularly powerful and adopts an extremely poor style of play (extremely defensive based on his strengths). sure he's very athletic and fast but what difference does that make if he's running 24/7 and behind in points? occasionally he'll find some form and ballstrike well but that's once in a blue moon, he's not particularly clever or 'there' strategically on court

the US Open loss to Federer this summer says it all; if he was ever capable of going the distance it would have been there, but in the end he clowned that match just like he clowns time and time again. he clowns his career and its not even the entertainment efforts that is the problem, it is that he truly appears unintelligent in terms of tactical play; i.e. appears totally unaware of when to be aggressive, when to play the point more passively, when to go to net. he gets away with a lack of tactics against many players he faces simply because he is athletic and can 'last' in a point but against the best it just doesn't work

what's the strangest fault he has is that while he is fairly quick and appears (???) to be quite fit, his endurance is very mediocre and more often than not he will fade away when matches go the distance

he's got some flashy shots, or moreover, flashy movement at times but just doesn't have the entire package. sure if you could somehow replace his brain with that of Nadal's or Murray's, get him to totally change his tactics/gamestyle then MAYBE you could produce a slam winning formula but we don't live in some magical la-la land where there's scientifically possible. AS IS, how Gael Monfils is now he is not anywhere near capable of winning a slam

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
He's terrible in 250 or 500 finals, but above all he's unable to beat the very best players at Slams.
Bo5 is not the problem IMO, otherwise, he'd struggle to get such wins in DC too. RG is obviously his best chance for any serious slam results since he feeds of the crowd and genuinely needs it for anything remotely remarkable. That said, I doubt Monfils would string 7 wins even at the best of circumstances.

·
Registered
692 Posts
he could get to the FO final with crowd behind him

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I'm still bullish on both Clowga & Monfees.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Hell no

Tennis already died a little when Cilic fluked his US Open win, we don't need another one of that

1 - 20 of 23 Posts