Mens Tennis Forums banner

Can Monfils win a big title in the next few years?

• Yes

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 23 82.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honestly, i think he really has the tools to do that but he must concentrate more against everyone, not only the top players against who he seems to trive playing (and losing, admittedly but often closely).

To compare him with a french player who beat Fed last week to win a MS, and after watching their respective showing against Fed, i truly believe that Monfils is the more capable of winning a Slam in the next few years (that's a long shot but still, that's my belief).

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
People still expecting stuff from Monfils? :spit: I gave up on him thinking he's winning 250s, let alone anything big

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Honestly, i think he really has the tools to do that but he must concentrate more against everyone, not only the top players against who he seems to trive playing (and losing, admittedly but often closely).

To compare him with a french player who beat Fed last week to win a MS, and after watching their respective showing against Fed, i truly believe that Monfils is the more capable of winning a Slam in the next few years (that's a long shot but still, that's my belief).
Tsonga is a much better player than Monfils, unfortunately you don't want to understand that. At least he's a true tennis player, not a showman.
Monfils and finals are horrible combination even in 250, so there's just no way he can win something above 500 level.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Monfils have the skills great serve great BH and FH and have the athleticism to win GS but mentally is not good enough.

But i hope he can win at least one big tittle... see Raonic win a big tittle and Monfils nothing kill the tennis.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
No.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
no way

Monfils is incredibly weak mentally. he has to be in extremely hot form and just out manuever and over power his opponents or he stands no chance because as soon as things get close, he gets tight and starts making mistakes
he also seems to be terminally ill in his mind where he is obsessed with entertaining the crowd NO MATTER WHAT. he will run his heart out in a point retrieving balls, sliding, diving- and end up either tiring or hurting himself and cost himself the next few games. have seen this all the time

the fact is Monfils tactics and play style are taxing and unpredictable. he does not have a comfortable level that he can maintain

also remarkably I have found over the years that while his movement appears dazzling (make no mistake he is incredibly fast and can slide insanely well) it actually is not THAT great. the reason is this- he has limited control with it. he can spring side to side and dive for shots but you do not see a poised and comfortable position from which he is striking the ball when he rushes to awkward positions. often Monfils will get to a million balls but not send them back to take control of the point. I think a good parallel would be Novak Djokovic- both are very fast, both slide well, are flexible, etc. the difference? Djokovic gets to the difficult balls, plants himself well and uses his core extremely effectively to either send the ball back with great placement

I've labeled Djokovic as a pong machine before but the truth is that Monfils is more-so one. a theatrical version which unfortunately will never be disciplined or effective enough to win enough matches in a tournament.
he has talent but like I say, does not have the right indoctrinated attitude or game to make it through BO5 especially

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
clownfils is nothing more than a modern day minstrel.....all flash and no substance.

·
Registered
590 Posts
he probably can win a M1000. It is hard for me to see him winning a slam because he continues to do antics/waste energy in ways that injure him or leave him tapping out in the 5th set.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Would be nice if he did, I think everyone would be happy for him (seems popular among the players on WTA + ATP). If he does though he has to be focused from the get go (no messing around/trying to entertain the crowd). Also he would have to improve his stamina, he is really fit but I just doesn't do well in long matches, he gets too tired.

Tsonga is a much better player than Monfils, unfortunately you don't want to understand that. At least he's a true tennis player, not a showman.
Monfils and finals are horrible combination even in 250, so there's just no way he can win something above 500 level.
Well he has been to 2 master 1000 finals so I don't think that is out of reach. No point in me arguing with you over who is better because you support Tsonga and I support Monfils lol.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
5 - 16 in finals :haha::haha:

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Do we have any evidence of his actual training regimen? I mean, we see him clown on the court, but how seriously does he take his career off the court? I almost feel bad that everyone calls this guy a clown since a) he is one of the top few players in the world and b) if he actually trains hard and takes it seriously. Then again, you look at him on the court, and what else can you call him?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I would like to see him win a Masters sometime in his career, don't see him winning a GS though. He also gets injured too often to get his ranking high consistently so he always faces the top guys in R3, R4 area.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Did you lok at his finals record :rolleyes:

·
Banned
6,672 Posts

I know my opinion is highly valued here but you didn't need to address me specifically. You could have asked the whole forum. But since I am such a nice guy will reply. I think Clownfils has a great shot at winning a major title in the circus. I see he's been playing some tennis of late but I wouldn't recommend that he quits his day job at the circus. That is where his true talent lies and I have no doubt he will soon win a big title there, even though it has been taking a while. I was specifically thinking that he has a great shot at a big title in the following area:

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Monfils is has so much talent it overwhelms him. When that happens the neurons in his brain start firing randomly, causing him to jump, dive, somersault, backflip or any other random activity to completely drain his focus and possibly injure him.

Seeing how this happens once every 2 matches he plays on average, the chances of him winning anything big are not too big.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts