Votes: 14 45.2%
  • No chance

Votes: 7 22.6%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite injury problems and the clowning from time to time Gael is a very talented player. One of the best defenders in the game ignoring Nadal and Djokovic with great movement. His live ranking is up to 15 and reaching the final here in MC would put him up to 13. In the race he will be 10. So what are his chances of reaching his first WTF's. Discuss.

·
The Last Mohican
24,737 Posts
Talented? Gael has zero talent. All physical. I'm sure he'll bow out early in the rest of the clay events... He just has a fluke period once or twice a year, but ultimately he's inferior to WTF-level players. Don't let flukes cloud your judgement.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
With Gaël it's never a question of "can". If Gaël plays to the fullness of his ability, he's capable of anything.

Now will is another matter entirely... qualifying for the WTFs requires sustained excellence over the whole year. Quite unlikely for Gaël. Not impossible, but...

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,877 Posts
Yes and no. If he could keep playing like this yes, but he'll need to be fit and competitive the whole year round, and have some draw help.
HE'd be more exciting to watch than many of our WTF regulars...

·
Administrator
6,251 Posts
Honestly, I think competition for the top 8 spots will be too tough. Djokovic will obviously be there, and based on their start to the year Murray, Berdych and possibly Ferrer are looking likely to have enough points. I assume Federer and Nadal will qualify too, even if they are struggling for points at the start of the year (Federer going out early in AO, Nadal not really doing well anywhere). Then you have Raonic, Nishikori and Wawrinka competing for the last 2 spots. Barring serious injury I expect Raonic and Nishikori to be there. It's hard to see Monfils having the consistency to rank higher than those 8 or 9 players (depending if Wawrinka can recapture some form). He's more likely to end up like Tsonga last year, winning a masters but not in the top 8.

If Monfils was there it would probably be as an alternate or getting in as rank #9 or #10 due to someone being injured. Considering the #9 player has played the last few years though, that is quite possible.

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
Gael is a beast when he's ready, but he can play like Monpere one day and then play like clownfils the next. Can only see him making some runs but he's too inconsistent. He really should have won the US open last year. Though I like Fed, Monfils really should have won that match in 3 and then he would destroy Cilic at that level, with a tired Nishikori in the final. I never thought about how he would celebrate after a big win, lol.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Sadly Gael is not consistent enough, one week he could beat a top 10 and make a final and then the next week lose in the first round. I would love him to make one though.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Despite injury problems and the clowning from time to time Gael is a very talented player. One of the best defenders in the game ignoring Nadal and Djokovic with great movement. His live ranking is up to 15 and reaching the final here in MC would put him up to 13. In the race he will be 10. So what are his chances of reaching his first WTF's. Discuss.
That's the big problem.
Even when he is on form, he almost for sure will have to defeat one of those 2 to win a Slam but those 2 have been big nemesis for him, especially Djoker.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
With Gaël it's never a question of "can". If Gaël plays to the fullness of his ability, he's capable of anything.

Now will is another matter entirely... qualifying for the WTFs requires sustained excellence over the whole year. Quite unlikely for Gaël. Not impossible, but...
Except defeating Djoker, it seems.

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
He's not consistent enough.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
He'll get there someday before his career wraps up. Could be this year. Maybe next year. We'll see.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts