Mens Tennis Forums banner

Can Aslan win Roland Garros 2021

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
I watched both matches. That was a 'good' Djokovic in Belgrade but needless to say not his actual level come slam time.

I don't know how you get those percentages in any case. They seem pretty arbitrary to me. Monte Carlo is also somewhat home to Novak and it's a masters so while I'm sure there's additional motivation in having a tournament in Belgrade, it remains a 250 and as such, part of Novak's long term prep more generally.
Well, when you have watched a player hundred times you can tell from his attitude whether he gives his tries his best or not, in Djokovic case when he gets angry you can tell he cares for it. Agree this wasn't Djokovic at his slam level but can he produce his usual slam level on clay these days? I have some doubts. By the way that level in Belgrade probably is enough to get to the 2nd week/QF.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
Well, when you have watched a player hundred times you can tell from his attitude whether he gives his tries his best or not, in Djokovic case when he gets angry you can tell he cares for it. Agree this wasn't Djokovic at his slam level but can he produce his usual slam level on clay these days? I have some doubts.
I've seen Novak play a lot and while I'm sure he cared for the match in Belgrade I didn't see him all that pleased with the Evans match either for that matter.

I simply don't think Djokovic is aiming to produce his 'real' slam level before the second week of a slam and given that his margins on clay these days are a bit lower, he can lose to a guy like Karatsev without Karatsev all of a sudden becoming the 2nd or 3rd or 4th threat for RG.

·
Registered
21,616 Posts
mY point is about Karatsev, not Djok
NO I didn't watch it, it wasn't broadcast where I am and also i was watching nadal.Tsitsi
The Belgrade semi was on Saturday and the Barcelona final was on Sunday, but I guess you wouldn't have cared anyway.
And it wasn't even broadcast in my country, just the 500 tournament.
I know this is not relevant to the subject, nevertheless to put things in context.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Sure he can. Nothing strange about saying that and many on MTF happily agreeing.

Whether I (or the majority over here) do think he will indeed actually win it, or is highly likely to do so - that's a completely different question then.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I find it hard too see . He has raced up the rankings but there are many players that can beat him at RG . I wouldn’t be surprised too see a 1st round exit.

·
Registered
942 Posts
With Aslan really looking like his namesake in the thread start, I started to think what famous characters from the screen his toughest competition may resemble:

The Joker and Djoker. (The Serbian to the right)

Voldemort and Rafael Nadal. Similarities can be found, no?

Federer and Gollum (The Swiss to the left).

Before fans of big three start to criticize me for making unfair comparisons of their heros, let me remind you that Voldemort was one of the greatest wizards (rivaled only by Dumbledore). The Joker, in Joaquin Phoenix version, was far from the ultimate villain of Nolan's trilogy, rather he was unfairly treated by society. As for Gollum, well, he ended up saving the world, didn't he? ;)

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
Sure he can. Nothing strange about saying that and many on MTF happily agreeing.

Whether I (or the majority over here) do think he will indeed actually win it, or is highly likely to do so - that's a completely different question then.
In the same sense that almost anyone "can." It's a chance so tiny it can't be seen except under a microscope.
So what's the point of a whole thread on such a chance?
The latest good player is about to win a slam or become the next "Big 3"

Very stupid, sorry.

·
Registered
Aslan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Of course I am the fan of King Aslan. He is straight Fire.
Aslan is #5 in APT Race to Turin, even Ahead of #8 "King of Clay" Rafael Nadal.
3 Russians in top 5 race, is it magical? I think yes.

OMG, after being whacked in Australia by world #1, he beat him off his home event, even with Serbian directing the clay court conditions and show.
King Aslan showed so amazing display of power and tactics, it made Novak sick trying to defend as hard as he possibly could. And he couldn't do it.
Why? I mean it was a dank performance by Aslan. Why can't the lion do it again at RG?

I put my faith on Aslan's might and fight.
Yes he can be beaten like anyone of 127 players in main draw who will be beaten.
But also the King can win it all with more magic and fight!
I believe he can win, because he believes he can win. If you don't believe you can win why play?

Go Aslan!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
In the same sense that almost anyone "can." It's a chance so tiny it can't be seen except under a microscope.
So what's the point of a whole thread on such a chance?
The latest good player is about to win a slam or become the next "Big 3"

Very stupid, sorry.
You'll really have to ask the OP about that.

But isn't this exactly the sort of thing so many love to speculate over here? I feel like I've seen hundreds of threads like this already. As stupid as some may think they are, they're part of MTF. And sometimes it does happen that a poster gets his bold prediction entirely correct, even if just being lucky in that.

I for one love bold predictions, but this one wasn't exactly one. Let's see if OP or someone else comes up with one later on. Have already seen at least one poster (posting in this thread) predicting that Aslan will be a multiple slam winner in the future.

I don't exactly see him as a slam winner, let alone multiple slam winner, and the time he's got to achieve that is limited as well considering his age. But I sure do hope I'll somehow be proven wrong here, as I really like his game, his character and his story (as much as we know about it, that is).

So many threads like this on Aslan already on MTF. Why not? Not to be taken too seriously imo. We simply need more stories like his in tennis.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
With Aslan really looking like his namesake in the thread start, I started to think what famous characters from the screen his toughest competition may resemble:

View attachment 364159 View attachment 364154

The Joker and Djoker. (The Serbian to the right)

View attachment 364153 View attachment 364158

Voldemort and Rafael Nadal. Similarities can be found, no?

View attachment 364161 View attachment 364162
Federer and Gollum (The Swiss to the left).

Before fans of big three start to criticize me for making unfair comparisons of their heros, let me remind you that Voldemort was one of the greatest wizards (rivaled only by Dumbledore). The Joker, in Joaquin Phoenix version, was far from the ultimate villain of Nolan's trilogy, rather he was unfairly treated by society. As for Gollum, well, he ended up saving the world, didn't he? ;)
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
You'll really have to ask the OP about that.

But isn't this exactly the sort of thing so many love to speculate over here? I feel like I've seen hundreds of threads like this already. As stupid as some may think they are, they're part of MTF. And sometimes it does happen that a poster gets his bold prediction entirely correct, even if just being lucky in that.

I for one love bold predictions, but this one wasn't exactly one. Let's see if OP or someone else comes up with one later on. Have already seen at least one poster (posting in this thread) predicting that Aslan will be a multiple slam winner in the future.

I don't exactly see him as a slam winner, let alone multiple slam winner, and the time he's got to achieve that is limited as well considering his age. But I sure do hope I'll somehow be proven wrong here, as I really like his game, his character and his story (as much as we know about it, that is).

So many threads like this on Aslan already on MTF. Why not? Not to be taken too seriously imo. We simply need more stories like his in tennis.
Aslan's story is great for sure. It's the hyperbole that's not great, and the same kind of poster who thinks Aslan might be a slam winner becomes a hater when he doesn't deliver.

I stick by my comment on these kinds of absurd claims.
And the site is full of them, instead of intelligent discussion about real things that are actually happening in tennis.
Would have been nice for example to have a thread about Karatsev exploring why he seemed to get so good all of a sudden.
If the site was better, I would actually invest more of my time creating those kinds of threads. But I have more important things to do. I would be happy to respond to more intelligent threads though.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Would have been nice for example to have a thread about Karatsev exploring why he seemed to get so good all of a sudden.
We've actually had these threads & several posts in other Aslan related threads on this exact topic over here, but they all seem to far too easily touch certain possibility, which this forum's not created to be discussed on about. And as long as we don't know all the facts for certain, I guess there'll always be such a discussion in those threads. So that might just come too close to a mission impossible on MTF, but not simply because there're no people willing to discuss it.

As far as I'm aware of, it's a combination of the right timing, no more serious injuries and a coach who's been able to motivate the Russian in a whole different manner than those before him. But my knowledge is limited in this respect, so anyone who feels like it, please feel free to add - in a wise enough manner.

·
Premium Member
20,724 Posts
Are there any odds for RG yet? I don't know anything about betting. How much would I win if I bet $100 on Karatsev and he won? :p

·
Registered
7,694 Posts

Yet he ca't beat Bublik
but he's going to go 7 rounds and bo5 and beat rafa thiem etc.

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
We've actually had these threads & several posts in other Aslan related threads on this exact topic over here, but they all seem to far too easily touch certain possibility, which this forum's not created to be discussed on about. And as long as we don't know all the facts for certain, I guess there'll always be such a discussion in those threads. So that might just come too close to a mission impossible on MTF, but not simply because there're no people willing to discuss it.

As far as I'm aware of, it's a combination of the right timing, no more serious injuries and a coach who's been able to motivate the Russian in a whole different manner than those before him. But my knowledge is limited in this respect, so anyone who feels like it, please feel free to add - in a wise enough manner.
keep studying the issue
LOL I wasn't going to respond another time to what i considered to be an absurd thread, bit's hard to resist after losing in straights to Bublik, who's good btw
I won]'t be discussing this anymore
I'm just finishing an absurd discussion
too bad it had to be with you though

41 - 60 of 71 Posts