Mens Tennis Forums banner

Can Aslan win Roland Garros 2021

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Judging by his mental abilities shown in Belgrade, he definitely can. 5 sets format suits him better imo because it compensates for his recurring dips in form and he seems to start very slow yet increasing his level over the match.

Having said that, he could fail miserably as well. The only thing I'm certain is that if he faces Nadal he'd give him hell of a fight. Sky is the limit if he finds his A game.

·
|
15,911 Posts
Thiem beat Nadal 4 times on clay, including 3 times in straight sets.
And Nadal has won 12 of their 13 sets at Roland Garros.
And here is the "hell of a fight" Thiem gave Nadal at Roland Garros.....Nadal won 63 57 61 61.
So "mental abilities" at Belgrade don't count for anything at Roland Garros.
Is this King guy even at Thiem's level? And remember Thiem is the guy that beat Djokovic twice at Roland Garros....

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
King Kyrgios has withdrawn unfortunately.

·
Registered
61,484 Posts
I don't think he has the endurance.

He was gassed at the end vs. both Bedene and Djokovic, even though he managed to finish both off, and dead on his feet by the end against Berrettini. Quite confident Djokovic wins that match in 3/5.

He needs to be able to play 4,5 sets against probably at least 2 of Nadal, Djokovic, Thiem, Tsitsipas, Rublev on clay. I am not convinced he is.

·
Premium Member
9,310 Posts

He was gassed at the end vs. both Bedene and Djokovic, even though he managed to finish both off, and dead on his feet by the end against Berrettini. Quite confident Djokovic wins that match in 3/5.

He needs to be able to play 4,5 sets against probably at least 2 of Nadal, Djokovic, Thiem, Tsitsipas, Rublev on clay. I am not convinced he is.
King Roger also in the mix as an unpredictable floater (didn't play in three years from 2016-2018, still a SF berth, lost against the King of Clay in 2019; last year injured):

·
Registered
888 Posts
Me too. On grass/hard - maybe his fitness would be enough.

But slams have a day off between matches so who knows

·
Registered
22,286 Posts
He is too inconsistent to beat the best clay players... you heard it first.

Also from the 2nd photo I get the impression that he is just too attention seeking, not someone who is really committed to put in the work required...

He was gassed at the end vs. both Bedene and Djokovic, even though he managed to finish both off, and dead on his feet by the end against Berrettini. Quite confident Djokovic wins that match in a best of 5.
FIFY
Even if in 5 sets, but Djokovic would have won that match.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
No; he can, however, beat the White Witch Jadis which is ultimately more important.

Reactions: Always_A_King

·
Your visions will happen
51,455 Posts

·
Registered
22,286 Posts
He's definitely one of the favorites.

KING ASLAN is probably the best five set player on tour at the moment.
On hardcourt as he got into the semis of last AO, but can he be also among the best on clay?
We don't know it yet, until we see it. I certainly wouldn't bet on it, seeing his inconsistency.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Judging by his mental abilities shown in Belgrade, he definitely can. 5 sets format suits him better imo because it compensates for his recurring dips in form and he seems to start very slow yet increasing his level over the match.

Having said that, he could fail miserably as well. The only thing I'm certain is that if he faces Nadal he'd give him hell of a fight. Sky is the limit if he finds his A game.
I like it, "I predict his outcome will be on the spectrum from doing incredibly well and failing miserably".
And is not that @pashazz is being vague, is a very sound assessment!

Predicting outcomes for Karatsev has become like predicting the weather. Very hard to predict what will happen on some specific date, but making an annual forecast is much easier: "there will be sunny periods, some rain and even thunderstorms and it will range from cold to hot". That is kind of like with Karatsev, hot and cold, and occasionally it all happens in one match.

Part of the challenge is not so much "finding his A game", but "staying on his A game if he finds it".

·
Premium Member
12,078 Posts
I'm reporting the vendor for trolling.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts