Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"I believe I can," said Isner, who will crack the Top 10 when the rankings are released next week. "You know, Slams are tough. It's the most physical, in my opinion. You're playing three out of five. If I were to run up against Djokovic again in a Slam; even if, you know, we were playing three out of five today, I would have to finish him off with one more set. So I know it's so tough, but I enjoy the challenge. There are three more this year, and I'm gonna try to do the best I can."
He thinks he can! I don't think so though. He may beat Novak or Federer but Nadal or Murray will get him

http://tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=16875&zoneid=25

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts
I don't think so. 7 x matches best of 5 might be too much for him. You saw how tired he got during rallies against Djokovic. He is certainly probably one of the more feared players to play against even when including the top 4, but I don't think he'll be good enough to win a slam, even in New York where the conditions suit him best.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
No. Too many Best-of-5 set matches in a row. He will be fatigued by the start of the 2nd week if he can make it that far....and would need to grind out 4 or 5 setters to beat the top players in the 2nd week. It's just too much for a 6'9 guy to recover from and stay at a high enough level to win.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think so. 7 x matches best of 5 might be too much for him. You saw how tired he got during rallies against Djokovic. He is certainly probably one of the more feared players to play against even when including the top 4, but I don't think he'll be good enough to win a slam, even in New York where the conditions suit him best.
Let's not forget that he is too tall and could get injured more often. He might do some damage at the French. haha. We have seen how he can be unbreable at Wimbledon but I don't think he is good enough to be a grand slam champ

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Nooo, he is to confident i think.....saying such things... best of 5, need to take down at least 2 of big 4 at slam, they all play their best at slams.... I think there is not much he can improove, his movement can be maybe better and ROS too, BH too, but what we saw today against Nole was pretty much Isner near his best and still he was lucky to win that match.

Nole can serve better and play better and would beat him without going to Tie-breaks, Murray can read his serve and he generally is bad match-up for big servers. Rafa on RG, AO and Wimbledon will beat him, USO Isner has chance. And Roger with his serve and most offensive guy from big 4 will beat him at slams. Guys like Tsonga, Delpo, even Berdych or Monfils if not clowning around can beat him for sure.

I forgot 7 matches, he isn´t capable of winning matches easy in straight sets, he is playing Tie-breaks and loosing sets to mugs all the time at slams. He is loosing to much energy in early rounds and than in QF, SF, F there will be guys that will either grind him down or have great serve to hold their service games and beat him in Tie-breaks or so

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think he can. If he can show some consistency, he is definitely a second tier player ... in there with Tsonga, Berdych, Soderling etc. etc. He would need a little luck, but he is pretty skilled for such a big guy. I am sure he is a nightmare to have in your section of the draw.

I mean, he beat Federer on clay, in Switzerland, in a best of 5 match pretty recently ... so who knows?

·
Banned
168 Posts
If he can get ranked high enough he won't have to play tough 5 set matches until the later rounds. Problem for him has always been playing tough matches early like at this years AO and the famous Wimby match. imo he has a great chance to win the USO in the next few years with the 5th set tb, possibly Wimbledon if he improves his S/V game.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only way for Isner to win a slam is for his return game to improve immensely. I was impressed how he got Simon and Djokovic. But I have a feeling this is his hot form and will cool off.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The only way for Isner to win a slam is for his return game to improve immensely. I was impressed how he got Simon and Djokovic. But I have a feeling this is his hot form and will cool off.
Yeah, it is a shame that the Roland Garros is coming up and not the USO. I'd be very interesting in seeing how he'd do playing at this level in New York.

·
Banned
168 Posts
Isner is a young player. Tall players mature much later, Karlovic peaked in his early 30s. There is a good chance imo Isner can survive the retirement of Fedal when the slams become wide open. Hopefully he wins one before then, he deserves to win in a peak era instead of a clown one.

·
Registered
574 Posts
5 setter will require a lot of consistency and stamina.I'm afraid he will get exhausted after several long matches.

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts
Todd Martin and Juan Martin Del Potro have both got to US Open finals @ 6'6"
They both have much better ground games and can actually break serve unlike John. You see how he gets tangled up with his feet quite often. I mean John is a better overall player than Karlovic, but he is still way too serve oriented to take a GS title.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Isner is a young player. Tall players mature much later, Karlovic peaked in his early 30s. There is a good chance imo Isner can survive the retirement of Fedal when the slams become wide open. Hopefully he wins one before then, he deserves to win in a peak era instead of a clown one.
There will still be other big time players like Murray, Djokovic, and Del Potro. Other players could get hot too. Also, people read too much into Isner beating Roger or Novak. It's not as if he is losing only to the top 4 players in tournaments.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
No, he doesn't have the endurance. Might win a masters title tomorrow but I don't think he has what it takes to win 5 setters consistently.

·
Registered
59,047 Posts
Poor endurance (minus one match :p )+ many off days= bad slam record
He might have slight chance if caught fire at USO or RG, but that is just as true of Almagro at RG and AO and Tipsarevic at Wimby and USO

·
Registered
810 Posts
I think he could do it. You people keep saying endurance will be the problem, but this guy is not running around like Nadal. He is hitting an ace, or a winner, or an error on every point. It's fascinating that we have another player who can beat anyone on any given day. Isner will be interesting to watch this year, especially after this week. Of course he could win a slam. If he can finally get into the latter rounds of Wimbledon, he should give himself a chance this year.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts