Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While I was watching the DC dead rubber between Igor Andreev and Bob Bryan. The commentators came out and said halfway through it. They said Andreev can make the top 10 in 2008?

The example they used was David Ferrer with his limited game was able to make it and finish number 5. The reasoning that was used was that Andreev has more firepower, well I can't deny that, the forehand is bigger and the serve is better. The whole if Ferrer can do it, then why can't Andreev. It was a diss to Ferrer or backhanded compliment at best.

Igor had an excellent comeback from the knee injury in 2007 and was ranked at 160 after the Aus Open and finished at 33, he did it without winning an event.

The problem with the argument those guys are using, is that it doesn't always work like that. Another thing that counted this season against Andreev this year was the amount of 3rd set tiebreakers that he lost this season. Apart from the Nadal and Mahut TB's, he was leading in them and failed to convert.

Code:
Metz Mahut, Nicolas (FRA) 6-3 5-7 [B]6-7(1)[/B] 
US Open Lopez, Feliciano (ESP) 7-6(3) 5-7 6-3 4-6 [B]6-7(5)[/B] 
Kitzbhuel Robredo, Tommy (ESP) 6-4 1-6 [B]6-7(5) [/B]
Gstaad Seppi, Andreas (ITA) 4-6 6-3 [B]6-7(5)[/B] 
Estoril Djokovic, Novak (SRB) 2-6 6-4 [B]6-7(5)[/B] 
Dubai Nadal, Rafael (ESP) 2-6 6-3 [B]6-7(2)[/B]
Andreev should be able to do better at the start of the season, though he might want to hit the backhand more, it was no surprise once Ferrer improved that shot and got more aggressive it helped his game a lot more.

He can play well on slow hardcourts and has won indoors, but watching him trying to hit touch shots is interesting.

Too bad he can't play his mate from Valencia every week. I'd like to see Andreev there, but I don't think he will make it.

No poll added, because the Safinettes might vote and skew the results :)

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Re: Can Igor Andreev can make top 10 in 2008?

I would be happy if he wins a title and makes the top-20, top-10 is not impossible but it is a long shot for next year. It would be even better if he goes deeper than the quarters in RG :p

He will need to improve his backhand, it will never be a serious weapon but it can become more reliable and he cannot always run around and hit forehands, especially not on hardcourts.

·
124,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

He can improve his backhand, though can't be so stiff when he hits it. It's funny I have seen him pass really well on that side or have the thing bounce twice.

His serve is good enough to get people out of position, and then dominate from there, but got to at least more than 3 backhands in a match.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts

On the other hand the journalists still do not rate Ferrer, he is "playing like Nadal" where their similarities are that they are Spaniards and they are fast.

Oh, they are also good buddies.

·
124,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

For sure Ferrer does get disrespected. He is far from flash and he knows that, but he has made the most of his game for sure.

Andreev is a very bad match up for Pics, they are good friends and have trained together quite a lot.

It will be good if Andreev can do well in one of the clay TMS events next season.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Andreev strikes me as a very intelligent person. Historically, overthinkers will let themselves down in tight situations. He is part of a contingent of probably 5 or so players who could be top 10 mainstays if they ironed just a few things out.

For the next year, I predict that he will finish around 20-25 in the rankings. From then on, anything is possible with him.

Reactions: Fensler

·
124,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andreev strikes me as a very intelligent person. Historically, overthinkers will let themselves down in tight situations. He is part of a contingent of probably 5 or so players who could be top 10 mainstays if they ironed just a few things out.

For the next year, I predict that he will finish around 20-25 in the rankings. From then on, anything is possible with him.
Blake is one of the smartest guys intellectually, but it wasn't his intellect that cost him in tight situations.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts

For sure Ferrer does get disrespected. He is far from flash and he knows that, but he has made the most of his game for sure.
Actually Ferrer is quite the crowd pleaser. I thought in Shanghai he was easily the crowd favorite.

Reactions: Voo de Mar

·
124,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Actually Ferrer is quite the crowd pleaser. I thought in Shanghai he was easily the crowd favorite.
It's not like Ferrer he is going to get mobbed in general, he is not a media darling or a flash player, but that works well for him and he is no Gasquet showpony.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
I don't see why not. A bit cliched, but if players like Robredo and Ferrer can make the top 10, why not Andreev? Well their are a couple of solid reasons.

Robredo and Ferrer fall into a certain category for me, players who work hard, who are strong mentally, don't have big games, but make the most of what they have.

Andreev on the other hand, has a forehand, which at times, is like a sledge hammer. His serve is solid, particularly on the second serve he generates good kick. Somebody else covered the fact he can move players out of position, I've noticed he can do this well on the deuce side out wide to good effect. Blaringly obvious he feels a lot more comfortable on the forehand, and I think this will never change, to a certain extent. If he could flatten out his backhand a bit more and strike it with more pace, he would be a very intimidating opponent from the baseline, not that he already isn't.

He is agile and moves just as well as Ferrer and Robredo, he is taller and no question, he is a very strong guy, he is still pretty light because he is cut. I think he has improved his fitness, in stamina terms, over the last couple of years.

I just feel at times he does not believe fully in himself, their have been times throughout the year he could have gone deeper in tournaments but put out a flat performance, I remember him facing Ferrero on clay where he completely dissapointed. Other silly matches where he is more than capable of beating players on clay particularly like Giquel and Horna. To put out flat performances like these, when you really should be beating these opponents, is down to his mental state.

Not only can he play on clay but he could also play well on hard, but I think he is just about even on win-loss their.

Realistically, top 10, I don't know whether he is ready to move up a level, I think he could fall into somewhere between 16-20. Which I think he is, definately, capable of bettering.

·
Registered
874 Posts

It's not like Ferrer he is going to get mobbed in general, he is not a media darling or a flash player, but that works well for him and he is no Gasquet showpony.
Two things: first, Andreev is good but it seems like the time for him to make a serious surge in the rankings has passed. I can see him getting far on some clay MS and other claycourt tourneys which will probably propel his ranking to top 20 or top 15 even, but top 10 is a big ask. The top 10 is going to be a crowded place next year with guys like Murray, Berdych and Baghdatis making their surge, not to mention the perennial mainstays like Nalbandian and co.

As for Gasquet, his results do a lot to contradict the idea that he's a mere showpony. The expectations surrounding him were too high but he's managed to get to 2 MS finals and a GS semifinal, all of which he lost to Federer so there's no shame in that. He was overrated in the beginning, I'll grant, but he's not utterly useless.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I dont think that Igor will arrive to top-10 in 2008, even i fine more possible that Monaco arrives to top-10 in 2008.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
I dont think that Igor will arrive to top-10 in 2008, even i fine more possible that Monaco arrives to top-10 in 2008.
Monaco's chances aren't anything to scoff at either.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts