1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federer Far From Finished
New York, U.S.A.
by ATP Staff

Roger Federer believes he can compete at the highest level for many years to come.
Roger Federer recently turned 30, an age when he may be expected to start winding down. But he’s having none of it. The 16-time Grand Slam champion believes he has many more good years left in him and will start by attempting to win a sixth US Open title.

“My preparation has been good and I'm excited for the tournament to start,” said the Swiss. “Clearly it's always a great event to be a part of. I’ve had success here obviously. It's nice to be back.

“This is my 13th time here, 12th time maybe in the main draw. It's definitely an inspiration seeing guys being around for a long time like Ken Rosewall, Jimmy Connors, Andre Agassi, and then there are tons of other players who were there for a long time.

“I feel my game allows me to still play for many more years because I have a relaxing playing style,” continued the Basel native. “I have almost played a thousand matches on tour and that takes its toll, but I'm very professional when it comes to massages, stretching, diet, sleep, all of that stuff. That's why I'm confident I can still play for many more years to come at the highest of levels.”

·
Registered
802 Posts
yes , he will retire at 42 , judging by his commitment to the sport , he wants to play as long as he can , no matter if he wins grandslams or not .

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
He will play as long as his body can take it and he's not getting embarrassed on the court by bad players. I would expect him to retire around 35 unless he has a major injury before then.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Agree with the above. Clearly won't be as long as Connors or Agassi, but.. FOUR more years! FOUR more years! Here here.

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
Possibly but if he goes this year slamless and the next I expect him to retire at the end of the 2012 season. He is physically very fit and healthy and that is not a problem for him, the biggest obstacle for him is to find his best tennis.

·
Registered
335 Posts
No way, Fed has a huge ego. When he starts losing in early rounds of Slams on a semi-regular basis and esp. losing long stretches of matches to former rivals expect him to fold up tent and raise the white flag.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
As long as he can stay competitive, he will play as long as he wants to. He probably realizes that he isn't going to be winning slams every single year the older he gets, but if he remains healthy and believes he can still compete comfortably with top 20 players and isn't losing to low ranked scrubs, he will still play.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Like he said, his playing style will allow him to play for a while yet. He hasn't had any major injuries, there's no reason why he can't if he really wants to.

·
Banned
260 Posts
He's only a year away from not having to worry about mandatory participation in Masters 1000 tournaments. He'll probably want to play most of them to maintain a decent ranking, but having the option to not show up will be one less pressure he'll have to deal with.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I´m sure his body would allow him many years, but it´s mostly a question of whether he can stay competitive. He won´t be playing for 250 titles or SLam 4th rounds, even if he is healthy.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I want to see Fed play in the 2017 US Open against some young punk and act like a prick and shout "give this guy a chance to choke". Then we can compare with Jimmy.

3,728 Posts
here here for 5 (at least) more years of federer goodness

and in 5 years time i expect federer to be in better shape than nadal- to be honest

even if he starts losing in the eary rounds- so what- as long as he feels good he should continue and we get to enjoy his amazing tennis

·
Premium Member
21,475 Posts
Why not? :) He's #3 and could even move to #2 if Nadal and/or Novak pick up an injury. The way the so-called youngsters are playing, it doesn't seem he should be worried much :p

·
Registered
36 Posts
He can still play for a few more years, but I DOUBT he's motivated enough.
You must know something the rest of the world doesn't or you simply have an uninformed opinion. Guessing it is the latter.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Tennis is too physical now, the level too high. So even though he could possibly play, I cant see Fed getting to SF of a GS after turning 35.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
He won't. he is the ultimate arrogant and if he is not #1 for too long he will get angry and surrender. Even quicker when he goes down to 6 or 7 which he will soon

1 - 20 of 24 Posts