Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
No. Federer always had an edge against Nadal on HC. He got slightly better and was able to turn his slight edge into domination. Federer doesn't have an edge on ANY surface against Djokovic.

Federer had an edge early in their careers, but that didn't last very long.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
If he does somehow turn around that rivalry like he has against Rafa, then it secures his place as the greatest of the three in my opinion. Can he? Unlikely. He improved against Rafa because he neutralized the strategy of hitting spiny balls to his backhand. This was Rafa’s primary strategy against Roger, and once nullified, there wasn’t so much of a plan B. Rafa is an ATG no doubt, certainly comparable to Djokovic and Federer, but he isn’t as complete as they are. What he does well, he does very well. But once Federer somewhat figured out how to deal with the heavy balls to his backhand, he instantly gained the upper hand. All he had to do was improve in one facet of the game. Djokovic doesn’t have a weapon like Nadal’s forehand, but overall, he’s a more complete player. He doesn’t hurt Federer one way; he hurts Federer lots of different ways. His strategy is much more varied. For Federer to beat Djokovic consistently, his game as a whole has to rise up, rather than just one shot. This seems unlikely at his age.

Fedal matches are about neutralizing each other’s games by going to the backhand, but Fed’s new backhand lets him win this battle. Fedovic matches are about who is playing their own game better. And right now, Djokovic is just executing better.
Nice synopsis but i would add that the question between these guys still usually boils down to the meat & potatoes of tennis. Was Fed’s serving good enough to win WB19 or was Novak off in his ROS. Probably a combination of the two (yet still won) but another disadvantage for his opponents is that they simply can’t beat Novak off the BH wing anymore since that has evolved into one of his fortes & being a more complete competitor esp. off Clay than Nadal & most of the rest on tour means having to constantly employ risky variety if not redlining in Stanimal mode vs the Serb.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Federer had an edge early in their careers, but that didn't last very long.
Actually no.

Their first meeting was in the spring of 2006. Between then and the start of Novak's breakout season of 2011, Fed and Novak met 19 (!!!) times, with Fed winning 13 of those encounters and Novak winning only 6.

Basically for 5 full years, Federer dominated Novak 13-6.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Actually no.

Their first meeting was in the spring of 2006. Between then and the start of Novak's breakout season of 2011, Fed and Novak met 19 (!!!) times, with Fed winning 13 of those encounters and Novak winning only 6.

He dominated in 2006/early 2007; not in late-2007, 2008-2009. He also lost his only slam meeting to Djokovic in 2010.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
He dominated in 2006/early 2007; not in late-2007, 2008-2009. He also lost his only slam meeting to Djokovic in 2010.
Between late 2007 and the end of 2010, the players met 15 times, with Fed winning 9 of those encounters and Djokovic winning 6.

Over the same period, they met 5 times in slams, with Fed winning 3 and Novak winning 2.

So sorry, no. You're wrong.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Rogie had such an advantage over Nadal on HC that he cried with laughter at how bad Nadal was in Australia in 2009.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Between late 2007 and the end of 2010, the players met 15 times, with Fed winning 9 of those encounters and Djokovic winning 6.

Over the same period, they met 5 times in slams, with Fed winning 3 and Novak winning 2.

So sorry, no. You're wrong.
Did you even read? "He dominated in 2006/early-2007; not in late-2007, 2008-2009. He also lost his only slam meeting to Djokovic in 2010."

Show me that Federer dominated in late-2007, 2008-2009. And show me that Federer did not lose his only slam meeting to Djokovic in 2010!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Did you even read? "He dominated in 2006/early-2007; not in late-2007, 2008-2009. He also lost his only slam meeting to Djokovic in 2010."

Show me that Federer dominated in late-2007, 2008-2009. And show me that Federer did not lose his only slam meeting to Djokovic in 2010!
I'm sorry, I'll make it more explicit:

I'm not interested in whatever arbitrary chunks of time you pick to sustain your fantasy.

In the broader period between their first meeting and Djokovic's first great season of 2011, Federer won 13 out of their 19 matches. That is domination, over a very long period.

And once again: I'm not interested in whatever arbitrary timeframes you want to dream up.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Arbitrary timeframes?! You responded to someone (MIMIC) who said, "Federer had an edge early in their careers, but that didn't last very long." with "Basically for 5 full years, Federer dominated Novak 13-6." When I told you that "He dominated in 2006/early-2007; not in late-2007, 2008-2009. He also lost his only slam meeting to Djokovic in 2010." you responded with "You're wrong." without telling me how I am wrong.

Let me show you how stupid your post is! "Nalbandian dominated Federer for four full years from 2002-2005." A wise person would say, "But Nalbandian did not have the advantage over Federer in 2004-2005, so why would you say Nalbandian dominated for four full years when it was more like two?"

In the context of this discussion, you are wrong. MIMIC did not say Djokovic led Federer overall; just that Federer's advantage was only for a short period (for less than one year).

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
Actually no.

Settle down. “Edge” as in favored to win, results of the match (sets won/lost, etc.), and other variables indicating who has an.....EDGE.

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
He dominated Djokovic in the last encounters, he just couldn't finish the job.
Edit: At Wimbledon he couldn't finish the job. He beat him quite easily at WTF and he was injured at AO and still almost won the first set.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Arbitrary timeframes?! You responded to someone (MIMIC) who said, "Federer had an edge early in their careers, but that didn't last very long." with "Basically for 5 full years, Federer dominated Novak 13-6." When I told you that "He dominated in 2006/early-2007; not in late-2007, 2008-2009. He also lost his only slam meeting to Djokovic in 2010." you responded with "You're wrong." without telling me how I am wrong.

Let me show you how stupid your post is! "Nalbandian dominated Federer for four full years from 2002-2005." A wise person would say, "But Nalbandian did not have the advantage over Federer in 2004-2005, so why would you say Nalbandian dominated for four full years when it was more like two?"

In the context of this discussion, you are wrong. MIMIC did not say Djokovic led Federer overall; just that Federer's advantage was only for a short period (for less than one year).
Yes, arbitrary timeframes.

Over the relevant period ("early in their careers" (sic)), Federer had the edge, as demonstrated by his greatly superior H2H.

Also, over the period in question (the 5 years from their first meeting to Novak's breakout year in 2011), Federer won 9 grand slams, while Djokovic won 1 (!!!)

Over the same period, Federer was #1 for over 100 consecutive weeks, while Djokovic was not #1 at any stage (!!!)

So, yes, categorically, Djokovic did not have the edge in their early careers.

The only people who think so are deluded Djokovic fans who know nothing about tennis prior to 2011.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Rogie overcame Rafa end of 2015/early 2017 and since on non-clay surfaces, he's like 6-0 since end of 2015 (2015 Basel, 2017 AO, 2017 IW, 2017 Miami, 2017 Shanghai, and 2019 W)... Also Rogie won the South African exhibition too!!

Now, can he do likewise with Djokovic, can he overcome him too??

Your thoughts??
Naaagh... Aside from Novak being a more complete player and in his prime, Roger has serious mental issues when facing Novak.
That coupled with the fact that Roger is getting really old pretty much guarantees that Roger can expect only spanking from Novak going forward.
I do expect that Roger announces his retirement soon, though - so I think there won't be many (if any) opportunities for that.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yes, arbitrary timeframes.

Over the relevant period ("early in their careers" (sic)), Federer had the edge, as demonstrated by his greatly superior H2H.

Also, over the period in question (the 5 years from their first meeting to Novak's breakout year in 2011), Federer won 9 grand slams, while Djokovic won 1 (!!!)

Over the same period, Federer was #1 for over 100 consecutive weeks, while Djokovic was not #1 at any stage (!!!)

So, yes, categorically, Djokovic did not have the edge in their early careers.

The only people who think so are deluded Djokovic fans who know nothing about tennis prior to 2011.
You did not answer the question. Your post also has nothing to do with what MIMIC or I said. MIMIC said Federer's edge over Djokovic was short-lived, basing that on H2H. I will ask you again, "Did Federer dominate the H2H in late-2007, 2008-2009; and did Federer not lose his lone slam meeting in 2010?"

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You did not answer the question. Your post also has nothing to do with what MIMIC or I said. MIMIC said Federer's edge over Djokovic was short-lived, basing that on H2H. I will ask you again, "Did Federer dominate the H2H in late-2007, 2008-2009; and did Federer not lose his lone slam meeting in 2010?"
I've already told you: I'm not interested in whatever arbitrary snippets of time you carve up to comfort yourself.

I'm only interested in the relevant timeframe to the discussion I was having with MIMIC.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts