Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rogie overcame Rafa end of 2015/early 2017 and since on non-clay surfaces, he's like 6-0 since end of 2015 (2015 Basel, 2017 AO, 2017 IW, 2017 Miami, 2017 Shanghai, and 2019 W)... Also Rogie won the South African exhibition too!!

Now, can he do likewise with Djokovic, can he overcome him too??

Your thoughts??

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Yes, because Federer's game has always given Djoker problems. No, because Djoker loves beating Fedal, especially Federer. Djoker turns into an animal when playing Federer, and tries 10 times harder than against anyone.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't think so, because Djokovic is not Nadal, and Federer is not Djokovic. For Federer to overcome Djokovic, Djokovic would have to not play like Djokovic.

I have been trying to familiarise myself with this rivalry lately. The last time Federer won a big match with Djokovic, I did not even know my favourite player - Zverev - was alive.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yes, because Djokovic will decline more and more and there will be a moment when he slides out of top 20 while Federer would still hang in top 10

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yes, because Djokovic will decline more and more and there will be a moment when he slides out of top 20 while Federer would still hang in top 10
So, you are saying Federer in his mid-40s will outlast Novak? That is claptrap.

The other GOATs/GOAT contenders - Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Ronaldo, etc. - were/are the best in their mid-30s. Djokovic is the same species. Also, I would be very surprised if Federer played beyond 2021.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
If he does somehow turn around that rivalry like he has against Rafa, then it secures his place as the greatest of the three in my opinion. Can he? Unlikely. He improved against Rafa because he neutralized the strategy of hitting spiny balls to his backhand. This was Rafa’s primary strategy against Roger, and once nullified, there wasn’t so much of a plan B. Rafa is an ATG no doubt, certainly comparable to Djokovic and Federer, but he isn’t as complete as they are. What he does well, he does very well. But once Federer somewhat figured out how to deal with the heavy balls to his backhand, he instantly gained the upper hand. All he had to do was improve in one facet of the game. Djokovic doesn’t have a weapon like Nadal’s forehand, but overall, he’s a more complete player. He doesn’t hurt Federer one way; he hurts Federer lots of different ways. His strategy is much more varied. For Federer to beat Djokovic consistently, his game as a whole has to rise up, rather than just one shot. This seems unlikely at his age.

Fedal matches are about neutralizing each other’s games by going to the backhand, but Fed’s new backhand lets him win this battle. Fedovic matches are about who is playing their own game better. And right now, Djokovic is just executing better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's a different dynamic. Federer was able to overcome Nadal mainly because of the new racket and improved backhand, as well as Nadal's physical decline. There were a few key points in that rivalry that determined the outcome most of the time. Not the same with the Djokovic rivalry where there are more dimensions and not any consistent patterns that stand out.

·
10,297 Posts
Can we stop?

We are a long way from Federer 2017 and look we are taking a long break from tennis. Federer is 38 not 25 , there is nothing to overcome anymore lol.

If he owns some low level nobodies and looks like vintage Fed for 30 minutes we should enjoy it. Let alone "Overcoming" Djokovic..

·
Registered
882 Posts
Federer has actually been doing very well against Djokovic within matches recently, it's purely closing the match that has been the issue. He demolished him at the ATP Finals last year, had match points and won more games than Novak at Wimbledon 2019, was very close to winning Paris 2018 and while he lost Australia in straight sets he was clearly injured and yet still managed to keep the first 2 sets pretty tight. Let's not forget that in 2017 Federer was playing fantastically while Djokovic was very subpar - but they never played each other that season which has distorted their recent record in Djokovic's favor. Then, as soon as Novak started playing well again, he played Federer regularly. If you look at their last 4 matches combined, Federer has won more points than Djokovic (!) but has only won 1 out of the 4 matches. What this tells us is that his game is already there; in fact it's been good enough since 2017. He just needs a confidence-building match to regain the mental side, and he can even out the record a little more.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
He did win at the WTF and should have won at Wimb, so if anything it's Djokovic who needs to up his game. Now that Fed got this lucky break where everyone is equalized, I expect him to reassert dominance forthwith.

·
Registered
275 Posts
No, Fed overcame Nadal because Nadal lost his athleticism not because Federer improved. Novak, on the other hand, while no longer the premier defenders on tour still has really great defence.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Federer has actually been doing very well against Djokovic within matches recently, it's purely closing the match that has been the issue. He demolished him at the ATP Finals last year, had match points and won more games than Novak at Wimbledon 2019, was very close to winning Paris 2018 and while he lost Australia in straight sets he was clearly injured and yet still managed to keep the first 2 sets pretty tight. Let's not forget that in 2017 Federer was playing fantastically while Djokovic was very subpar - but they never played each other that season which has distorted their recent record in Djokovic's favor. Then, as soon as Novak started playing well again, he played Federer regularly. If you look at their last 4 matches combined, Federer has won more points than Djokovic (!) but has only won 1 out of the 4 matches. What this tells us is that his game is already there; in fact it's been good enough since 2017. He just needs a confidence-building match to regain the mental side, and he can even out the record a little more.
I can also make a lot of excuses for every close set and every close match that Zverev lost, and try to make his losses seem not as bad as they were. But, at the end of the day, he still lost. In tennis, being close does not get one any bonus points; it's still a loss.

Djokovic remains 4-1 against Federer after he returned from his elbow injury. Also, Federer hasn't beaten Djokovic in the biggest matches in a decade. The gap will only get bigger and things will only get much harder for Federer from here.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Djokovic remains 4-1 against Federer after he returned from his elbow injury. Also, Federer hasn't beaten Djokovic in the biggest matches in a decade. The gap will only get bigger and things will only get much harder for Federer from here.
That 4-1 has Djokovic winning all 6/6 of their tiebreakers - so could have been very different. Wow - I didnt even realize how hard time Federer gives Djokovic despite being very old :oops:. Very respectable.

·
Registered
498 Posts
That 4-1 has Djokovic winning all 6/6 of their tiebreakers - so could have been very different. Wow - I didnt even realize how hard time Federer gives Djokovic despite being very old :oops:. Very respectable.
Djokovic doesn't make any errors in tiebreaks, though, and Jesus wouldn't let Djokovic lose at Wimbledon. It's impossible to beat that. LeBron and Ronaldo are almost 36 and still the best at what they do, and those sports have a lot of competition! I don't know about Federer, but age is not an impediment for a species like Djokovic.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Physically, he's now able to outlast everyone, see Wimbledon 2019.

He just needs Wilson to create a racket that gives him 90 sq on forehand side while 97-98 on the backhand side.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts