Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know Dull is due to get one of his trademark cakewalks from the RG organizers who so desperately want him to get #13/#20. Certainly he will be well-rested but also consider the fact that he may not have match toughness. Can Dominic recover and finally knock off the Mallorcan on the red dirt and get a second Slam, this time in front of fans ?? If not Thiem is there anyone else who can save tennis?

·
Your visions will happen
49,954 Posts
Rafa needs to focus on Carreno Busta first

We have no idea what form Rafa is in because he has not played a match since dinosaurs roamed the Earth

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Rafa, Djokovic, or Thiem, one of them will win the 2020 FO; Rafa, Djokovic, or Tsitsipas will win 2020 Rome title!!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Nadal or Djokovic are fine. Anything but next gens. I wrote about my conversion to #Nolefam here @Johnny Groove

·
Registered
32 Posts
judging from thiem's performances at the us open clutching out when needed to win against medvedev and zverev, when playing subpar, he has a good chance in stopping rafa more so than djokovic.

·
Your visions will happen
49,954 Posts
Nadal or Djokovic are fine. Anything but next gens. I wrote about my conversion to #Nolefam here @Johnny Groove

Hmm, so an anti-nextgen tard, very unique my friend

My advice is to relax a bit and not take everything so seriously. Zverev was never going to win with that epic pushing and incomplete gamestyle. No way. The tennis Gods and Goddesses decreed it from the heavens. Poor Thiem was cramping up and still went for everything, willing to die on the court. Zverev was pushing and praying. The correct style was rewarded.

And in the future if Zverev does win, it will be because he developed more of a game. Reliable 2nd serve and more confidence to power through the court. Tennis will always live, regardless of who is at the top. And besides, even if Zverev did win, we would all call it a fluke and he would not be respected

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Hmm, so an anti-nextgen tard, very unique my friend

My advice is to relax a bit and not take everything so seriously. Zverev was never going to win with that epic pushing and incomplete gamestyle. No way. The tennis Gods and Goddesses decreed it from the heavens. Poor Thiem was cramping up and still went for everything, willing to die on the court. Zverev was pushing and praying. The correct style was rewarded.

And in the future if Zverev does win, it will be because he developed more of a game. Reliable 2nd serve and more confidence to power through the court. Tennis will always live, regardless of who is at the top. And besides, even if Zverev did win, we would all call it a fluke and he would not be respected
A lot of good points. I'm a tennis chameleon so stances can change quickly ;) .

Reactions: Johnny Groove

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
If Nadal is playing well, only peaking Djokovic can beat him. As much as I like Thiem, he cannot hang with Nadal over Bo5 on clay with that BH

Reactions: Tennis9000+

·
Registered
133 Posts
He is the top favorite but there are too many unknown variables this year.

We don't know how Nadal will fare with playing clay season at this time of the year with limited match preparation after 6-7 months break.

It could be advantage for Nadal not to play US Open as he won't be tired as other top players but it could also be disadvantage if he plays a tight match.

Unless we have an Indian summer, the weather will be cool and mild. There will be roof when it rains and there will be night sessions as well this year. These are not conditions that Nadal favour.

Roof particularly will be important as one player will not have unfair advantage due to scheduling over the player on the other half. One does wonder who would have won second SF last year and what would have been outcome of the final if there had been a roof.

Thiem's placement in the draw and more importantly whether he will be mentally and physically taxed after winning his first slam (I could see him losing early or not being much of a threat both to Nadal and Djokovic at SF) will be a factor as well. Most important factor is how Djokovic will come back after the fiasco at US Open.

Due to strange conditions of this year, I would say Nadal is a lesser favorite compared to previous years.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If Nadal is playing well, only peaking Djokovic can beat him. As much as I like Thiem, he cannot hang with Nadal over Bo5 on clay with that BH
djokovic is 33 and no longer can peak on clay anymore. thiem has a better chance to beat nadal than djokovic can beat nadal on clay.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Rafa needs to focus on Carreno Busta first

We have no idea what form Rafa is in because he has not played a match since dinosaurs roamed the Earth
Yup, Rafa got a bit rusty

·
Registered
11,654 Posts

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
While i do believe is the heavy favorite. There is a few variables we have never had before.
Rafa is fresh. Never in 16 year has Rafa arrived in France with so litle miles on his legs.
But just like freshness is good. Rust is always part of that equation. Training is one thing . Real game match fitness is another.

The other variable that no one knows is the roof. Im not making excuses. Its something new for everyone.
The other thing is Temperature. Its not going to be as hot as May.

My pick is still Rafa unless someone beats him.

Reactions: sav001

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Reactions: Tennis Passion

·
Registered
70,519 Posts
Lol of course yes indeed let’s see if he can make it to the SFs...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts