Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such thing as gay animals or is it just humans that can be gay?

·
Registered
9,845 Posts
Why do you care? Searching for a new partner?

I'm assuming this thread was started with homophobic intentions, but prove me wrong if you like.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uhh no!. It was something I saw on tv couple mins ago and was curious

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then the answer is - yes. Of course they can - it's genetic

I'm also curious what you were watching....
I was watching a tv show and they made a joke about it

·
RAVE ON
18,425 Posts
There have been a number of instances of gay penguins.

I just checked Wikipedia. Giraffes are the kings, or queens, of the gay animal world.

And bedbugs are big fans too. But I guess they are already in bed, so what is a bug gonna do.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Flamingos are pretty gay.
:lol: how do you know that?

100 years ago during Captain Scott's expedition to the South Pole, he witnessed male Adelie Penguins having sex with one another.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/jun/09/sex-depravity-penguins-scott-antarctic

And of course there's a wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_displaying_homosexuahl_behavior
:eek:That's some pretty messed up stuff. having sex with a dead penguin :facepalm: also seems like penguin are more gay prone than other animals

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Question is, can animal develop some kind homosexual behavior is more accurate. And yes they can, technically .

Proving they are homosexual, not so much. All animals except few there(dolphins for example), use sex as reproduction means and establishing dominance in group.

However, its not a rule, and certain deviations are possible.
-Subject group of isolated males (we cannot talk about females because there is NOT a single proven lesbian behavior in animals), prolonged deprivation of sex, as animals cannot control basic instincts like we can. Nor understand them. Especially in all male group, or majority male in group.
Taking that into account, establish alpha dominance through sexual intercourse is plausible. Some animals even behave in normal circumstances like that(apes).

However, saying that animals(in general) can be gay is talk of a layman . Deviations are plausible but only in extreme circumstances. And usually associated with sex deprivation.

Some animals like dolphins for example use sex for non-reproduction, but noting in such cases that they express their sexual behavior to other animals and humans too. As there is not distinctive pattern that one animal is gay, rather then looking for sexual pleasure.

And to be honest its a big science that sexual behavior. Talking about one thing (homosexualism) is kinda stupid.

There is Neophilia, Necrophilia, Zoophilia, Paraphilia etc...

{Little edit - Just to remind people, all sexual deviations recorded in animal kingdom have distinctive pattern and mostly used in creating social status inside groups. So whatever monkeys(example) doing bisexual thing is because they like it, and not for establishing their position in hierarchy is not know.}

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
in Giraffes something like 40% are bisexual apparently

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
No animals cannot be genetically gay, however that doesn't mean you can't have animals of the same sex having intercourse. Bonobos A species very closely related to us show sex between individuals of the same sex and even between juvenile's and adults is more of a bonding thing, however the main goal of any animal is to reproduce so there aren't any examples of animals with individuals that have sex with just the same sex. In terms of Gay been genetic that's a very difficult one to answer as logic would suggest just being homosexual would not be a desirable trait, so in humans it may just be a stronger affinity for the same sex which may be genetic.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Question is, can animal develop some kind homosexual behavior is more accurate. And yes they can, technically .

Proving they are homosexual, not so much. All animals except few there(dolphins for example), use sex as reproduction means and establishing dominance in group.

However, its not a rule, and certain deviations are possible.
-Subject group of isolated males (we cannot talk about females because there is NOT a single proven lesbian behavior in animals), prolonged deprivation of sex, as animals cannot control basic instincts like we can. Nor understand them. Especially in all male group, or majority male in group.
Taking that into account, establish alpha dominance through sexual intercourse is plausible. Some animals even behave in normal circumstances like that(apes).

However, saying that animals(in general) can be gay is talk of a layman . Deviations are plausible but only in extreme circumstances. And usually associated with sex deprivation.

Some animals like dolphins for example use sex for non-reproduction, but noting in such cases that they express their sexual behavior to other animals and humans too. As there is not distinctive pattern that one animal is gay, rather then looking for sexual pleasure.

And to be honest its a big science that sexual behavior. Talking about one thing (homosexualism) is kinda stupid.

There is Neophilia, Necrophilia, Zoophilia, Paraphilia etc...

{Little edit - Just to remind people, all sexual deviations recorded in animal kingdom have distinctive pattern and mostly used in creating social status inside groups. So whatever monkeys(example) doing bisexual thing is because they like it, and not for establishing their position in hierarchy is not know.}

That has actually been proven, a good read on the subject is Our Inner Ape by Frans de Waal, it has been shown through neural brain activity that many sexual acts between The great apes are purely for enjoyment, in other words they serve no purpose in survival.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
i don't need wikipedia to see my neighbor's male cat having orgies every evening in my yard with all kinds of other male cats.

as for any parallel - don't even try, it wouldn't end well regardless of the conclusion.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts