Mens Tennis Forums banner

Can Andy Roddick pull a Goran Ivanisevic?

• Yes, if Goran can do it. He can too.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Hell no!

Votes: 39 69.6%
  • Who cares... It's Andy we talking about here.

Votes: 6 10.7%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
at Wimby this year or next year?

Like Goran, Andy is near the end of his career. Like Goran, Andy has a booming serve. Like Goran, Andy finished runner up at Wimby 3 times, so is 4th time a charm?
Can Andy do it?

Would it make the same great sentimental story like Goran's run in 2001 if Andy finally won Wimbledon too? Or is he too much of a dick compared to him?

·
Registered
27,241 Posts
Yes, Hass will be the Rafter of the scenario.

Ajde.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
No because this isn't a mug era.

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
Of course he can. He's not completely done yet, all he really needs is that serve and forehand to fire for 2 weeks and to avoid Federer and he'll always be a serious contender. We've seen it in the past with Roddick, can't play good tennis for months and then somehow pulls a good tournament together.

·
29,637 Posts
Grass field of 2001 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2012. Anyone who disagrees is wrong, a fanboy and needs to get off Agassi's crystal meth right now.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Would be good to see him win Wimbledon just once, 2009 was his for the taking, but he just couldn't do it.

A lot of ifs have to happen for him to even get to another Wimbledon final again...IF Roger loses early, and Rafa/Nole/Muzza all lose early (Unlikely!), then he's in with a shot, and the big IF - he gets a cupcake draw and manages to get to the 2nd week of the tournament. Looks unlikely at this stage.

·
Registered
874 Posts

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
oh yeah i think he can definitely. all it would take is an on fire week, he can make it to the second week of a Grand Slam still if the draw provided is nice and can get into his zone. the thing is a player who can serve as well as him definitely still has a chance at Wimbledon.

i really hope he does win it still and would be very happy if he did. he's had some heartbreaking losses there and 2009 was probably one of these situations in which I think the wrong guy or guy who played the worse match won a Grand Slam final.

i think Roddick can do it and I hope he will in the next year or two because these are probably his last chances. even if it were against Nadal I would hope Roddick would win. he has put so much of himself into Wimbledon and left with nothing.

it's ironic because a guy like Andy Murray has so much pressure to do well at Wimbledon but you can tell by his face and words that it never has meant anywhere near as much to him as it does a guy like Andy Roddick. Roddick is there in his heart and that's why i want to see him pull off a wonder win in the next year or two before he retires. he's surely capable but will/would need luck too

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
Unlike Goran, Andy's serve has gone backwards since his peak years. He won't have a big weapon to bail him out.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I forgot Goran was cute without the beard.
[NOSTALGIA] It's a Goran/Rafter match, girls don't get eye candy like that nowadays. [/NOSTALGIA]

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
But he did stun Federer in that exho.....so....it starts :rocker2: :rocker2:.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
No. If anybody can do it it's Nalbandian or Davydenko (at the USO). But I don't see it very likely either to be honest, the TOP players are at a very high level and are very consistent (this wasn't the case in 2001).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts