Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
A happy person
44,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is crazy thought. But I'm thinking of someone who played every week before and he seriously needed some rest. Something is missing from him (maybe less heart to tennis). I remember he won lot of matches after losing the first set and this year it's never happened to him. I really think the injury can change it.

So I would like to know what think you guys.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
I definitely think injury can help a player. Burnout is a real issue in tennis, so taking an enforced break from training and competing can be positive in the long run, both mentally and physically.

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
Come to think of it had Nadal not got injured in 2009 I don't think he would have had that much motivation to do what he did in 2010. :scratch:

·
Banned
5,508 Posts
In some cases it's definetely not bad for some players who are struggling to find the pace. If the injury isn't that serious, than it can help them out sometimes but it can be bad for the mental too.

·
Registered
97,309 Posts
Monfils is injured for 75% of the season, then he is coming back to shape for 15% and then what he performs during the remaining 10% is enough to secure a place in the top ten, so he'd be the one to confirm your words :p

But due to repeating injuries a guy like Nalbandian for example never really achieved what he could have.

A single, short lasting injury surely is a help on a mental side, to find the "hunger" of the game.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree that it could help in the sense of being an enforced break and alleviating emotional/physical burnout. I think it can also help psychologically, for people who bend under pressure... if they're playing with a minor injury, it takes the pressure off, and they might actually play better, figuring anything they get from here on is gravy.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Monfils is injured for 75% of the season, then he is coming back to shape for 15% and then what he performs during the remaining 10% is enough to secure a place in the top ten, so he'd be the one to confirm your words :p

But due to repeating injuries a guy like Nalbandian for example never really achieved what he could have.

A single, short lasting injury surely is a help on a mental side, to find the "hunger" of the game.
Nalbandian didn't achieve anything because he lacks work ethic and mental strength. His talent is also vastly overrated. He played about 5 good matches in his career and fanboys judge him solely on that level of play.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Depends. If they get frequently injured ala Hewitt, then no. If it's short term or the first time, then yes.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts

injury breaks encourage nalbandian not to find the hunger for the game but the hunger to eat burgers.

·
A happy person
44,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Granollers said: "Last week was bad for me because I felt a lot of pain in my arm, which I had felt since Wimbledon," revealed Granollers. "I went home and rested for five days without any practice, and I came here on Sunday and started to feel better and better. Now I have won the tournament and so it’s amazing."

·
Banned
3,761 Posts
An injury of Djokovic could help Nadal

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I would say Djokovic this year is a good example. He's withdrawn from 3 tournaments with likely minor injuries(Rotterdam, Monte Carlo, Queens), all to be better prepared for the next big tournament on his schedule. If he didn't do that, I think he'd have more than one loss this season.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
It certainly can...not common at all though. But think about someone like Serena, who after her scare now seems to be playing well and enjoying tennis more than ever /WTA reference. Or I guess another great example is Blake, who was a promising youngster, had the injury into the net post and later had shingles, but then came back stronger than ever in 2005.

If we're talking within a match, which we aren't, it can help the player relax and stop overthinking. One example was the Roddick-Cilic match from the AO last year. Andy got hurt, started playing great aggressive tennis for a couple sets.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Until Roddick remembered who he is and lost that match in the fifth.

·
Banned
6,118 Posts
Actually, the Fog is the only player to be helped by an injury in the same match where the injury occurred. RG remember

1 - 20 of 20 Posts